Reload this Page >

Unexpected Schengen border controls

Old Nov 20, 2015, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold

There are the exceptional circumstances border controls such as keeping football hooligans out as well as France's border controls and Germany having them for trains from Austria, etc. but today, I observed that Malta immigration is doing outbound passport control at MLA for Germany and Italy....
Old Nov 20, 2015, 3:50 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I'd say you have to expect these anywhere within the Schengen zone at the moment. I experienced border checks going from Denmark to Sweden this week (well, unless you were leaving the train at the border station and used the stairs), which didn't even happen before Schengen...
Old Nov 20, 2015, 3:53 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Tough new border security measures have been agreed by European Union ministers in Brussels to ensure “systematic controls” on all travellers entering the passport-free Schengen zone.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...a6742781.html?
Old Nov 20, 2015, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
I also recall just recently that the Maltese government discovered that some civil servants or officials had "sold" a large number of Schengen visas to people from Libya (and another country I can't recall).
Old Nov 22, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Last Wednesday: no outbound controls in LIS, inbound in MRS
Thursday: outbound in MRS, no controls in ATH.
Return Saturday: no controls in ATH, HAM or LIS so YMMV
Old Nov 22, 2015, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by Palal
Last Wednesday: no outbound controls in LIS, inbound in MRS
Thursday: outbound in MRS, no controls in ATH.
Return Saturday: no controls in ATH, HAM or LIS so YMMV
Why do we have to increase Internet traffic by obliging tens of FTers to look up YMMV rather than spelling it out? This may be (old) age related, but really, what does one get from using this kind of abbreviations?
Old Nov 22, 2015, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by KLouis
Why do we have to increase Internet traffic by obliging tens of FTers to look up YMMV rather than spelling it out? This may be (old) age related, but really, what does one get from using this kind of abbreviations?
"Your mileage may vary" being abbreviated as YMMV is rather easily figured out. The same as goes for IATA airport and city codes.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
"Your mileage may vary" being abbreviated as YMMV is rather easily figured out. The same as goes for IATA airport and city codes.
Easy to say who's either read this before (I hadn't) or flies a lot in North America (sadly any European company uses that). My question is, why do we have to use abbreviations/acronyms. As for IATA airports (let me simply use Greek examples), why should any normal person understand that SKG is Thessaloniki, JTR is Santorini, CHQ is Chania, and MJT is Mytinini?
Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:52 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Most IATA codes are easily guessed.
Why is ORD = Chicago (O'Hare), no D's in any of it? [OHR seems a better choice]
[I was once flying on DL (10 years ago), I overheard a conversation between two FAs--one knew the airport code she was being based from, but had NO idea where it was.]
Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nrr
Most IATA codes are easily guessed.
Why is ORD = Chicago (O'Hare), no D's in any of it? [OHR seems a better choice]
[I was once flying on DL (10 years ago), I overheard a conversation between two FAs--one knew the airport code she was being based from, but had NO idea where it was.]
ORD for Orchard Field, a pre-O'Hare name for where planes were landing around there.

Using Google or asking about airport codes in order to find out what is being discussed is rather frequently done here.

For better or worse, this place has a vernacular of its own that uses abbreviations that are not widely known but which are readily discoverable by searching or asking.

Many (and most of the major airports') IATA airport codes can be easily guessed by many of us, but most of the airport codes mean nothing to most people on the world and would be a wild guessing game.

Easy to say who's either read this before (I hadn't) or flies a lot in North America (sadly any European company uses that). My question is, why do we have to use abbreviations/acronyms. As for IATA airports (let me simply use Greek examples), why should any normal person understand that SKG is Thessaloniki, JTR is Santorini, CHQ is Chania, and MJT is Mytinini?
To answe the question, because they either have already been exposed to the codes or can use context to do an easy search and know which locations are involved.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Controls at intra Schengen borders are mainly limited to roads and trains and not at airports
Reason one: The continuing stream of refugees. At certain borders (Bavaria/Austria, Germany/Denmark, Denmark/Sweden) thousands or at least some hundreds of refugees try to cross every day.
Reason two: Controls between France/Germany, France/Belgium because of the terror attacks in Paris
Old Nov 23, 2015, 7:40 pm

...To answe the question, because they either have already been exposed to the codes or can use context to do an easy search and know which locations are involved.
IDFYEC, BWCID, IWHTLWI!
Old Nov 24, 2015, 5:55 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
a.net and AFF use HTML <abbr> / <def> something similar so that you can hover over an abbreviation to expand it... I guess it doesn't work so well on mobile but few interactive websites do
Old Nov 24, 2015, 6:19 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Why do we have to increase Internet traffic and waste extra time having to spell out 'Your Mileage May Vary' when most people know what YMMV means?

For your benefit, FT has a Glossary under 'Help' which includes YMMV as well as other TLA's: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glossary.php

There is also an ACL: http://www.flyertalk.com/acl/

But as always YMMV in decoding TLA's.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 6:21 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
It's a common abbreviation that's used on FT extensively. You're welcome

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.