Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:26 pm
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nrr
Most IATA codes are easily guessed.
Why is ORD = Chicago (O'Hare), no D's in any of it? [OHR seems a better choice]
[I was once flying on DL (10 years ago), I overheard a conversation between two FAs--one knew the airport code she was being based from, but had NO idea where it was.]
ORD for Orchard Field, a pre-O'Hare name for where planes were landing around there.

Using Google or asking about airport codes in order to find out what is being discussed is rather frequently done here.

For better or worse, this place has a vernacular of its own that uses abbreviations that are not widely known but which are readily discoverable by searching or asking.

Many (and most of the major airports') IATA airport codes can be easily guessed by many of us, but most of the airport codes mean nothing to most people on the world and would be a wild guessing game.

Originally Posted by KLouis
Easy to say who's either read this before (I hadn't) or flies a lot in North America (sadly any European company uses that). My question is, why do we have to use abbreviations/acronyms. As for IATA airports (let me simply use Greek examples), why should any normal person understand that SKG is Thessaloniki, JTR is Santorini, CHQ is Chania, and MJT is Mytinini?
To answe the question, because they either have already been exposed to the codes or can use context to do an easy search and know which locations are involved.