Attention: NEW TURKEY VISA REQUIREMENTS 10 Apr 2014

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2014, 4:17 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by paulwuk
You need 24 hour notice

Is the e-visa like the U.S. ESTA, it applies for any number of entries of a period of time, or is it a one-off entry? If you're in Turkey, and want a quick day trip to Cyprus, then back to Turkey, do you need a second e-visa?
When I go from Turkey to Greece for intra-day or overnight trips away from Turkey, the payment stickers used for payment on entry into Turkey have been good for my re-entry into Turkey too -- unlimited entries in a given period of time. Turkey made this transition with those kind of trips in mind too.

IOW, I'm saying there is an ability to use the e-visa for multi-entry use too, at least for those using US or UK passports. The default for US citizens is $20 for multiple entry that allows for a person to stay up to a maximum 90 days in the 180 day period following the arrival date specified at the time of application. During that e-visa validity period, multiple entries are allowed on the same e-visa. I expect that the UK citizens have much the same thing going on too as US citizens, except that the amount of money may vary.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by paulwuk
You need 24 hour notice

Is the e-visa like the U.S. ESTA, it applies for any number of entries of a period of time, or is it a one-off entry? If you're in Turkey, and want a quick day trip to Cyprus, then back to Turkey, do you need a second e-visa?
You can check what the conditions (length of stay, multiple/single entry) and the price of your visa are by filling out the first step of the application on https://www.evisa.gov.tr
Old Apr 24, 2014, 2:05 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
As this seems to now be well known, and the attention has died down, I'm going to destickify it (if that is indeed a word) so as not to overclutter the forum. Naturally, please feel free to continue to discuss this topic on this thread.

stut
Europe Forum
Old Apr 24, 2014, 4:45 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
Do you still get a stamp in your passport with the new e-Visa?
Old Apr 24, 2014, 5:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jahason
Yes. Or at least US citizens are getting Turkish stamps in US passports that were issued last week.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by jahason
Yes. They just scribble "eVize" next to the stamp.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 8:36 pm

Question Transit issues?

I'm going to be flying skg-ist-JFK, and assume I won't need a visa as long as I stay in transit airside at IST. However, what happens if my ist-JFK flight is cancelled? Will I be allowed to buy a visa and enter Turkey? Or will I be forced to remain in limbo airside?
Old May 3, 2014, 7:56 pm

Question

Originally Posted by IAATM
What happens if my ist-JFK flight is cancelled? Will I be allowed to buy a visa and enter Turkey? Or will I be forced to remain in limbo airside?
Anything? Any ideas on how they implement the new eVisa system for IRROPS?
Old May 5, 2014, 5:49 am
Suspended

I'm going to be flying skg-ist-JFK, and assume I won't need a visa as long as I stay in transit airside at IST. However, what happens if my ist-JFK flight is cancelled? Will I be allowed to buy a visa and enter Turkey? Or will I be forced to remain in limbo airside?
They have free wifi at IST. I would probably get online, do it there and save things as a PDF, hoping the evisa and everything else works and gets approved quickly. In case of overnight IRROPS, the operating airline can work with the immigration authorities to facilitate entry into Turkey -- whether the airline does that, well they don't always.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Anything? Any ideas on how they implement the new eVisa system for IRROPS?
I have seen information that if you are transiting and staying within the airport confines (but read the language from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs - what I read on other sites does not give with this) ; or spending less than less than 72 hours or visiting towns / ports as a cruise ship passenger, there is no need for a visa. The FAQ on the Turkish Ministry of Foreign Affairs site says:

Question: I am taking a Mediterranean boat cruise with my family. Our ship will also visit Kuşadası. Do we need visas to enter Turkey?

Answer: Foreigners who are travelling to Turkey by cruises are allowed to enter Turkey without visa for a maximum period of 72 hours, with the permission given by the local security authorities.

Question: I will be flying to Europe. I know that our aircraft will land in İstanbul. I am not planning to leave the transit lounge. Do I need to get transit visa?

Answer: If you will not leave the transit lounge at the airport you are not required to have transit visa. Otherwise, you have to make visa application to the nearest Turkish Representation. Contact information of the said missions can be reached through www.mfa.gov.tr (Ministry/Turkish Representations).

Link

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 29, 2014 at 6:16 pm Reason: add caveat - lest people think the information I refer to is the Ministry of F.A., which should be the final say
Old Jul 29, 2014, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
I have seen information that if you are transiting and staying within the airport confines; or spending less than less than 72 hours or visiting towns / ports as a cruise ship passenger, there is no need for a visa. The FAQ on the Turkish Ministry of Foreign Affairs site says:
I understood the same answers differently:

If you leave the airport transit area (and you're obviously not in a cruise port), then you'll need a Turkish visa to proceed.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by MaxVO
I understood the same answers differently:

If you leave the airport transit area (and you're obviously not in a cruise port), then you'll need a Turkish visa to proceed.
Stay within the transit area - you are quite correct.

But... Istanbul is indeed a cruise ship port (they dock at Karaköy Yolcu Salonu in Karaköy), so those who are arriving via cruise ship should not need a visa if they are staying less than 72 hours.

Arriving for sure, possibly departing, cruise ship passengers arriving at one of the two airports at Istanbul could probably try pushing this, but I'd recommend the e-Visa - it's so easy, and a mere $20 per person, multiple entry over 180 days.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:54 pm

Turkey also offers "Transit Visas" for visits under 30 days. I don't know yet if they are free, but they require trackable mailings to a consulate.
http://www.konsolosluk.gov.tr/usa/en/Transit_Visas.aspx
Regardless, it's probably best to shell out $20 for an eVisa.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:58 pm

Turkey apparently offers 'Transit Visas' for visits under 30 days. I don't know yet if they are free, but they require trackable mailings to a consulate.
http://www.konsolosluk.gov.tr/usa/en/Transit_Visas.aspx
Regardless, it's probably best to just buy the eVisa for $20.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 6:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDiver

But... Istanbul is indeed a cruise ship port (they dock at Karaköy Yolcu Salonu in Karaköy), so those who are arriving via cruise ship should not need a visa if they are staying less than 72 hours.

Arriving for sure, possibly departing, cruise ship passengers arriving at one of the two airports at Istanbul could probably try pushing this, but I'd recommend the e-Visa - it's so easy, and a mere $20 per person, multiple entry over 180 days.
The transit without visa appears to be generally inapplicable to US citizens arriving into IST airport to catch a cruise ship out of the Turkish seaports, even if the landside stay in Turkey is to be less than 72 hours before continuing the trip by sea.

The Turkish evisa-waiver rule was apparently instituted for people who must meet at least both of the following conditions: (1) arrive into Turkey by boat and (2) transit out of Turkey within 72 hours.

Meeting one but not both of the above conditions has resulted in airlines denying transport to persons who failed to procure an evisa prior to check-in for flight to Turkey -- even when having proof of onward international travel by boat from Turkey within 72 hours of arrival there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.