Community
Wiki Posts
Search

local SIM for using in England/France?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2014, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

local SIM for using in England/France?

10 day trip for using in England/France from Canada. Mainly for mobile internet, anyone know which local SIM is best choice? can I get one in heathrow airport ?

Thanks!
Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:35 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow the thread on its move to the Europe forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 2:43 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
You're unlikely to be able to get a SIM that covers both countries particularly well - while UK SIMs will have European roaming, this may take some time to enable, and is not wonderful value, even if the prices are now capped by EU rules.

I'd suggest referring to the excellent resource for prepaid SIMs here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...m-threads.html
Old Jan 5, 2014, 8:49 am

ecgz88 the EU is going to eliminate roaming charges but not until 2016 (I think, maybe 2015). Until then you'd have to get a SIM in every country you visit and make sure you tell them you want a pay as you go with internet as sometimes the plan they sell you up front is only for minutes/texts without data.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! so is it easier to get a prepaid SIM in Heathrow airport?

Originally Posted by stut
You're unlikely to be able to get a SIM that covers both countries particularly well - while UK SIMs will have European roaming, this may take some time to enable, and is not wonderful value, even if the prices are now capped by EU rules.

I'd suggest referring to the excellent resource for prepaid SIMs here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...m-threads.html
Old Feb 16, 2014, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by stut
Actually, I think EE's new PAYG roaming tariffs look rather appealing; at 1 for 20MB/day or 3 for 100MB/day of data in many EU countries, it's easy to grab a SIM in the UK that can be used with relative ease on the continent.

It should be relatively easy to have a SIM sent via post to wherever you're staying so it's awaiting for you on arrival, to pop in to any EE shop and have them help you get set up, or to grab one on eBay and have it shipped to you at home before you leave (a quick search suggests you can have this done for C$2.99).

Last edited by linglingfool; Feb 16, 2014 at 9:47 pm
Old Feb 17, 2014, 1:34 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
That's a nice deal!

Looks like EE automatically activate roaming as well (be aware that some networks need you to have several months' activity before they will activate roaming on PAYG SIM plans...)
Old Feb 17, 2014, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also check the sticky thread in Travel Technology for the prepaid SIM threads for France and the UK.

In the UK, 3 is probbaly your best bet.

In France, check out SFR and Bouygues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.