Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to buy euros?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2012, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Best way to buy euros?

Is it best to convert USD to Euros before you leave the US or when you arrive in Germany?

If I should buy Euros before we leave, should I do it at my bank or AAA or somewhere else?

Thanks!
Old Oct 26, 2012, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, *G, Global Entry
Get them from an ATM at the airport when you arrive
Old Oct 26, 2012, 5:08 pm

ATM is best
Old Oct 26, 2012, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Definantly the ATM you get the best exchange rate there and you don't get digned the Comission.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K
If you have a Bank of America account, you can even withdraw euros at a German Deutsche Bank ATM with no transaction fees at all (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_ATM_Alliance).
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:32 pm

I agree that ATM is the best bet for foreign currency, especially if you have an account that doesn't charge (or will reimburse you for) a transaction fee.

What about if you have cash to convert? Is there any rule of thumb if it's usually better to convert in the country of the buying currency vs. the selling currency?

In particular, to convert swiss francs (cash) into euros, is it generally better to do the conversion in Switzerland or in France?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.