Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schengen visa port of entry question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Schengen visa port of entry question

I recently received a Schengen visa from the Netherlands. After I enter the Netherlands, is there a time requirement for me to stay in the Netherlands or can I depart the same day for another EU country? Thank you!
Old Aug 22, 2012, 4:37 am

You can depart immediately if you wish, there's no time requirements. However, since your visa is for Netherlands, it must be your main destination, or in other words you have to plan staying in there more time than in any other Schengen country. You may be asked to present some evidence about your plans on arrival.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Kallio
You can depart immediately if you wish, there's no time requirements. However, since your visa is for Netherlands, it must be your main destination, or in other words you have to plan staying in there more time than in any other Schengen country. You may be asked to present some evidence about your plans on arrival.
The rule is "main destination or point of entry". There is NO requirement for the OP to spend more time in the Netherlands than in other countries.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Kallio
However, since your visa is for Netherlands, it must be your main destination, or in other words you have to plan staying in there more time than in any other Schengen country. You may be asked to present some evidence about your plans on arrival.
Her visa is not "for Netherlands". It is for "Schengenstaaten" and is simply issued by the Embassy of the Netherlands. It is valid for travel to any Schengen country during its validity period with no restrictions (unless any are specified as a condition of the visa issuance).

Once a Schengen visa is issued, there is no longer any restriction on what it may be used for or where it may be used. The territorial presence restriction described in the posts above exists only at the application stage. There is no basis for refusal of entry or questioning of why a Schengen visa issued by one state is being used for entry to another EXCEPT when there is doubt as to the bonafides of the personal circumstances presented at the time of application.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.