Search

Cheese shop near AMS?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2012, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Question Cheese shop near AMS?

Just wondering, for future reference, if there's a good cheese shop near AMS? The supermarket in the bottom level seems to sell cheese that has been there for a while and is rather dry and somewhat tasteless (the small cheeses that the duty-free shops are even worse - unless one is buying old cheese).

If I had a long (or overnight) layover in AMS, I usually buy the stuff at one of two cheese shop on Beethovenstraat but that's a walk from Amsterdam Zuid/WTC rail station. Nice and pleasant when it is, but not otherwise. Not something I want to do unless I had a long layover either.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 10:36 pm

If you do take the train into the city of Amsterdam, the Albert Heijn near the Damrak usually has a decent selection. The place is so busy that I'd imagine the products are usually fresh due to high turnover.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 5:25 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
What kind of cheese are you looking for? Just regular supermarket cheese or real speciality?
Old Mar 24, 2012, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Just regular Dutch cheese. Preferably at a cheese shop with high turnover so the stuff is "fresh" and not dried out (which the stuff at AMS seems to be). I guess I should have a look at Leiden the next time I'm there. Looking for a nearby town where the shops are right by the station.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Just regular Dutch cheese. Preferably at a cheese shop with high turnover so the stuff is "fresh" and not dried out (which the stuff at AMS seems to be). I guess I should have a look at Leiden the next time I'm there. Looking for a nearby town where the shops are right by the station.
There's a mini-market, Europe style, on the ground level of the Leiden station, but I don't remember a grocery store near it. The mini-market did have cheese, but I doubt it's anything special.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 2:48 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
There's a few proper cheese shops in Hoofddorp, not far at all from Schiphol. The station isn't very central, but the Zuidtangent guided bus service takes you much closer in, in about 10 minutes.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 3:12 am

You can still try a full size supermarket (not the mini AH at trainstations) which usually have a large and fresh selection and can also cut the cheese in the way and weight you want.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:00 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
If you've got a long-ish layover, would recommend a train into the city (about 15 minutes) and then heading to "De Kaaskamer." This is (in my, and others' opinion) the best cheese shop in Amsterdam. Once you get to Amsterdam Centraal, it's about a 15-20 minute walk (or, you could take a taxi).

The store is located in "De Negen Straatjes" (or "9 Streets") area at Runstraat 7, between the Kaisersgracht and Prinsengracht canals (closer to the Kaisergracht). If you go, one of my favorites is a cheese called Stolwijker (pronounced Stole-viker). They have a young and an old. I'm partial to the old, but the young is really nice as well. Highly recommend the place if you get a chance. Enjoy!
http://www.kaaskamer.nl/?l=en
Old Mar 26, 2012, 2:15 pm

The Stolwijker is an absolute recommendation. Love the old version and am lucky enough I can get it around the corner!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.