Old Oct 15, 2011, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 14940674
If you have any time at ZRH, these two attractions might interest you:

http://www.zurich-airport.com/deskto...spx/tabid-213/

http://www.zurich-airport.com/deskto...spx/tabid-211/

Edit: I see that you found these in the other thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europ...-bus-tour.html
Indeed we don't have anything like this in the US that I know of (sadly ) (although some airports do have some form of observations, but rather limited if any at all and most tours you can only get as an established group such as school, church, community service group, etc).

I am definitely counting on the days when I will be in ZRH (though I need to get through Hawaii and back! Before then!)
Old Oct 15, 2011, 6:58 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mynetdude
Indeed we don't have anything like this in the US that I know of (sadly ) (although some airports do have some form of observations, but rather limited if any at all and most tours you can only get as an established group such as school, church, community service group, etc).
This is the closest thing of which I can think, in the US, to a tarmac tour. It only happens a few times a month, but from what I read in a trip report in FT, I understand it to be excellent:

http://www.san.org/sdia/at_the_airport/tours.aspx
Old Oct 15, 2011, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

This is the closest thing of which I can think, in the US, to a tarmac tour. It only happens a few times a month, but from what I read in a trip report in FT, I understand it to be excellent:

http://www.san.org/sdia/at_the_airport/tours.aspx
Yes I should have clarified tarmac tours, most airports that I know of in the US don't offer this and it seems SAN offers a version of it. What caught my attention was the wildlife preservation at an airport, I have been to countless airports that have grass but no wildlife! :P

I have been on a number of "tours" at my local airport and they are not even close to tarmac tours. Terminal tours (including the sterile area) just after completion of construction. Tower tour just before they closed it after the new one was finally completed. I was also involved in a joint volunteer program to assist first responders and that part of the airport was closed off for us but no tour (oh yeah I did get to to tour the airport FD and a joint ANG base at two airports).

Anyway really awesome a whole new part of traveling is just awesome, I will have to tour as many airports as I can! (that's what happens to being an aviation enthusiast)
Old Oct 16, 2011, 4:56 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Hmm 3rd degree interrogations for non US citizens going into the US yikes (that sounds like Israel).

I guess the US is crazy about being inefficient with their security policies
I guess that's right. And to be clear: I am not trying to give a value judgement about this. Each country must to do what it believes is necessary to handle the threats it perceives against it. The fact though is, that for a non US citizen arriving there is not a pleasant experience (anymore). And that is just for someone who (lets try to say this nicely) does not look like a typical 'threat suspect'.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thijsseh
I guess that's right. And to be clear: I am not trying to give a value judgement about this. Each country must to do what it believes is necessary to handle the threats it perceives against it. The fact though is, that for a non US citizen arriving there is not a pleasant experience (anymore). And that is just for someone who (lets try to say this nicely) does not look like a typical 'threat suspect'.
I understand, but I had no idea of the trauma foreigners coming into the US CBP gives them just to enter; likewise some countries are more harsh than others (or used to be much harsher than the USA at one point).
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the correction. I was thinking that Switzerland was part of the EU Customs union as well, but as you said, it isn't. For the situation of the OP, the system is the same as any other EU airport, with a Green channel and a Red channel.
Ok thought of this question:

1. I do intend to fly from Switzerland to Germany as its much cheaper than the train.

As I understand it Switzerland is not part of the EU but is part of the Schengen zone, what can I expect for customs clearance in Berlin? Would I have to still use the arrivals for outside the EU (Green) rather than the blue? (somewhere I saw blue mentioned in this thread).
Old Oct 16, 2011, 2:38 pm

Ok thought of this question:

1. I do intend to fly from Switzerland to Germany as its much cheaper than the train.

As I understand it Switzerland is not part of the EU but is part of the Schengen zone, what can I expect for customs clearance in Berlin? Would I have to still use the arrivals for outside the EU (Green) rather than the blue? (somewhere I saw blue mentioned in this thread).
I am not sure. After consulting the websites of FRA and MUC, it appears the Germans have grouped Schengen and nothing to declare into one green channel, and those who don't qualify can use the red channel. If this is the case, then you would simply use the green channel. If blue and green are separate, then I would use the green lane for safety's sake, as the website does not list Switzerland as exempt from customs.

To what German airport are you arriving? Using its website could shed some light on the matter.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

I am not sure. After consulting the websites of FRA and MUC, it appears the Germans have grouped Schengen and nothing to declare into one green channel, and those who don't qualify can use the red channel. If this is the case, then you would simply use the green channel. If blue and green are separate, then I would use the green lane for safety's sake, as the website does not list Switzerland as exempt from customs.

To what German airport are you arriving? Using its website could shed some light on the matter.
Ah, good idea to use the website

I think its TXL (Tegal) (Air Berlin hub)
Old Oct 16, 2011, 3:04 pm

I am not sure. After consulting the websites of FRA and MUC, it appears the Germans have grouped Schengen and nothing to declare into one green channel
For Customs clearance it's not Schengen vs non-Schengen, but EU vs non-EU. They are not the same thing.

Blue (where it exists) is for arrivals from the EU. If there is no blue channel then everybody with nothing to declare goes through the green channel. Someone arriving into the EU from Switzerland or Norway must use the green channel, not the blue one.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Aviatrix
For Customs clearance it's not Schengen vs non-Schengen, but EU vs non-EU. They are not the same thing.
I'm sorry; I understand, but accidentally used the wrong terminology.

Do the airports in Germany have Blue channels?
Old Oct 16, 2011, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

I'm sorry; I understand, but accidentally used the wrong terminology.

Do the airports in Germany have Blue channels?
I couldn't find any info for Schonefeld or Tegal, I'll just have to hope my brain makes sense of the signs and if I goof then I can learn the hard way
Old Oct 17, 2011, 1:50 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
I understand that as a 'first timer' in Europe you may be a bit concerned about all of this, but really, do not worry! Customs within Europe is no big deal, unless you arive from a country with has 'problems' (for instance somewhere where drugs regularly are smuggled from, like some South American countries). And normally (wherever I have been in Europe), the 'channels' are very clearly marked with large green and red signs (and sometimes blue for intra EU). Plus it will say 'EU arrivals', 'Nothing to declare' and 'Goods to declare' for blue, green and red respectively. But if you go through the green instead of the blue (for instance), no-one will bite your head off. Chances are that you will not see anyone in that 'channel'.
Note that they easily can see from the luggage label if you have come from a EU country: there is a green stripe on the side of the label. So if you are in the blue channel without a green stripe, they may question that (if there is anyone there to begin with).
Old Oct 17, 2011, 5:10 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
FWIW, it's entirely possible to get an advance purchase ticket on the Basel - Berlin ICE for SFr50 (or SFr82 in 1st Class).

However, if you can get a cheap flight, it's a much, much shorter journey.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stut
FWIW, it's entirely possible to get an advance purchase ticket on the Basel - Berlin ICE for SFr50 (or SFr82 in 1st Class).

However, if you can get a cheap flight, it's a much, much shorter journey.
indeed I think the cost of the train in advance (since you can only book 90 days ahead, but right now you can't even do that as the time tables are changing Dec 12th so that'sas far as the schedules will go out.

What's the minimum for it to be considered advance purchase? Airlines have different advance purchase rules so I'm sure the railroads do too. I don't mind the journey, that's what travel is all about but if its going to break my bank then its not worth it.

you must be missing the 1 in front of your prices I am seeing has 3 digits (eg: 150) or you're quoting a price based on applied discounts or that's a weekday fare?

I am being quoted 159 CHF from Basel and 187 CHF from Zurich I got a price for Air Berlin for $62USD now that's quite a steal of a deal a trip that far is at least double that in the USA one way. Of course I priced out going out of Basel for $31USD one way on Easyjet If I can get rail tickets for that much then I'd ultimately use the trains.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.