Wiki Posts
Search

First time with Etihad

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2023, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Smile First time with Etihad

Hi All,

I will be flying with Etihad for the first time in November and have a few questions I'm hoping people can help with
  1. Regarding Economy Space, you have to pay now if you want to choose one of these seats. However, when check-in opens (30 hours before departure) can you slect one of these seats for free? (providing there are some still available and of course, if you're quick enough).
  2. With the Bid to Upgrade option, has anybody ever bid the lowest amount possible and had it accepted? Alternatively, has anybody experienced purchasing an upgrade at the airport and was quoted a lower price to upgrade (compared to bidding)? Of course, I understand it all depends on how many empty seats are available come the time.
  3. Also, I've read on here that many people have tried to book a free Stopover/Transit hotel with Etihad but have been unsuccessful (either nothing availbale for the selected date or it was subsequently cancelled even if a booking was initially successful). What has been the experience of users on here?
  4. I have a flight arriving at Abu Dhabi (AUH) at 1AM and departing AUH at 10PM on the same day. So my options are the Abu Dhabi Airport Hotel (which you can't book, but have to rely on just turning up and seeing if there's availability on the day) or the Premier Inn Hotel at the airport (where the earliest you can check-in is 9am). Does anybody have any experience or recommendations for day room hotels in Abu Dhabi, where you can check-in at any time and just pay for a certain amount of hours?
Apologies for all the questions and many thanks in advance for any and all replies
Old Sep 3, 2023, 8:33 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
I have only flown with EY a few times so apologies if my information is out of date / things have changed.

Originally Posted by Y747
Regarding Economy Space, you have to pay now if you want to choose one of these seats. However, when check-in opens (30 hours before departure) can you slect one of these seats for free? (providing there are some still available and of course, if you're quick enough)
You still have to pay extra for these seats at online check in.

With the Bid to Upgrade option, has anybody ever bid the lowest amount possible and had it accepted? Alternatively, has anybody experienced purchasing an upgrade at the airport and was quoted a lower price to upgrade (compared to bidding)? Of course, I understand it all depends on how many empty seats are available come the time.
I have made a bid ~5 times (all above the lowest amount) and have never been successful. However, they will sometimes offer a fixed price upgrade at the airport that may or may not be lower than the minimum bid.

Also, I've read on here that many people have tried to book a free Stopover/Transit hotel with Etihad but have been unsuccessful (either nothing availbale for the selected date or it was subsequently cancelled even if a booking was initially successful). What has been the experience of users on here?

I have a flight arriving at Abu Dhabi (AUH) at 1AM and departing AUH at 10PM on the same day. So my options are the Abu Dhabi Airport Hotel (which you can't book, but have to rely on just turning up and seeing if there's availability on the day) or the Premier Inn Hotel at the airport (where the earliest you can check-in is 9am). Does anybody have any experience or recommendations for day room hotels in Abu Dhabi, where you can check-in at any time and just pay for a certain amount of hours?
I have used www.dayuse.com once or twice in Dubai and have a positive experience.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Thank you very much sadiqhassan for your detailed and helpful reply

Oh, I didn't realise you still had to pay for Economy Space seats (even after check-in opens). I'm assuming it's only the Standard Economy seats which are selectable for free (when check in opens) I wonder what happens then if all the Standard Economy seats are taken. I assume the Economy Space seats are then automatically allocated to the rest of the passengers for free.

Ah, that's interesting what you say about your unsuccessful attempts at Bid to Upgrade. I may just try my luck at the airport then and if the price is too extortional, I'll just stick to Peasant Class

Yeah, I saw www.dayuse.com when I Googled about day use hotels in Abu Dhabi. Unfortunately, most hotels listed for my date, the earliest they let you check-in is 9am (and there was one at 6pm). But still a good option though.

Thanks again sadiqhassan for your responses

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.