Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

What are my rights? Etihad Extended transfer from 4 hours to almost nine hours

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2023, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Hi All,
Do I have any rights to cancel and get a full refund as the new itinerary is not accetable to me. Travelling business class MEL to AMS and Etihad have changed the transfer time in Abu Dhabi from 4 hours to nearly nine hours (early hours of the morning), adding 4 1/2 hours extra layover time. Would this be considered a "significant" change?

This would seriously mess up the rest of my itinerary. Do I have to accept the changes?
If I can't cancel will extended stay in business lounge be allowed?
Any help most appreciated.

Last edited by junejuno; Aug 10, 2023 at 4:23 am
Old Aug 9, 2023, 7:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
If it's a revenue flight, you should be able to get a free hotel.
Ideally they should give a refund if requested as the change is significant. Let us know what happens...
Old Aug 10, 2023, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Thanks Acid. Yes, it is a revenue flight, I will see what E tihad say and post the outcome.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 10:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by junejuno
Thanks Acid. Yes, it is a revenue flight, I will see what E tihad say and post the outcome.

You should be able to book the free hotel online(unless flight is next year, then you have to wait for the program to be extended). It sounds like you have a day time layover - you could make the most of it and see a bit of Abu Dhabi or Dubai if they are not willing to refund
Old Aug 10, 2023, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Acid
You should be able to book the free hotel online(unless flight is next year, then you have to wait for the program to be extended). It sounds like you have a day time layover - you could make the most of it and see a bit of Abu Dhabi or Dubai if they are not willing to refund
Thanks Acid, but it's a 05.30 arrival at Abu Dhabi, next Easter, but I'll keep in mind about the free hotel if I can't cancel and get a refund.
Thanks for your input, much appreciated.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by junejuno
If I can't cancel will extended stay in business lounge be allowed?
All Etihad business fares still include lounge access, so of course you are welcome to enjoy the lounge for the entirety of your layover if you so wish. You are never limited to just having a certain amount of time in the lounge when you are connecting.

Before you request a refund, investigate the price of buying a new ticket for MEL to AMS (or wherever it is that you are actually going; in your OP you suggest you have onward travel from AMS already booked for the day of arrival); despite the added time in transit, you may determine that is worthwhile keeping this ticket if you see that prices have increased further since you originally booked.

(You can, of course, also request to travel a day earlier, thereby arriving in AMS the afternoon before your originally-planned arrival which would keep the rest of your itinerary intact)

Last edited by irishguy28; Aug 15, 2023 at 9:26 am
Old Aug 15, 2023, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
All Etihad business fares still include lounge access, so of course you are welcome to enjoy the lounge for the entirety of your layover if you so wish. You are never limited to just having a certain amount of time in the lounge when you are connecting.

Before you request a refund, investigate the price of buying a new ticket for MEL to AMS (or wherever it is that you are actually going; in your OP you suggest you have onward travel from AMS already booked for the day of arrival); despite the added time in transit, you may determine that is worthwhile keeping this ticket if you see that prices have increased further since you originally booked.

(You can, of course, also request to travel a day earlier, thereby arriving in AMS the afternoon before your originally-planned arrival which would keep the rest of your itinerary intact)
Hi,
Thanks for that. Yes, I have checked out the price of tickets now for the same journey and they are considerably more expensive now. To get the shorter layover that I oroginally had is way more expensive again. So I have decided to hold onto my ticket and accept the longer layover as there is nothing to be gained by cancelling. Thanks for your help and everyone else for their input too. Thankfully my onward journey from AMS on the return is a refundable ticket so I can cancel and rebook, otherwise travelling back a day earlier to AMS to keep that ticket intact was a great option, thank you.
irishguy28 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.