Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Can I dine with my spouse in 1st Class...?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2023, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Hi, my wife will be flying 1st class for the first time. It'll be with Etihad. I'll be in business class and was wondering if Etihad would allow me to dine with her in 1st class? I know some airlines allow it but wasn't sure if Etihad was one of them. Thanks!
Old Jul 3, 2023, 4:43 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Sadly unlikely as others will complain of the noise, it is up to the F&B manager and most are nice enough to but the other F passengers generally complain at the squeak of a mouse
TIGRIS23 likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 2:14 pm

Programs: Starwood PLATINUM, BA GOLD, KrisFlyer Blue, GFF Silver, BATS After Work Club, Emirates Silver
What noise are you referring to?
Old Jul 4, 2023, 1:22 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by john11111111111
What noise are you referring to?
People talking, four occassions twice talking to another passenger and twice talking to my assistant eating together (both in F) others complained that the noise of quietened conversation was too much for them to bear and had the Butler/Purser come and ask us not to !
john11111111111 likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 4:52 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
I doubt that the crew would allow it & IMHO they should not. Want to sit & eat in First? Book it. Simple.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 2:44 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by TIGRIS23
Hi, my wife will be flying 1st class for the first time. It'll be with Etihad. I'll be in business class and was wondering if Etihad would allow me to dine with her in 1st class? I know some airlines allow it but wasn't sure if Etihad was one of them. Thanks!
Which airlines allow this? I can't imagine any reputable airline routinely allowing a J passenger to get what is essentially a free upgrade onboard.

If you're the only passenger in F and the crew happen to be very accommodating, then there might be a glimmer of hope, but I most certainly wouldn't count on this happening.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 6:32 pm

You could try for a drink. BA allows it.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 5:30 am

Programs: LH HON; UA GS; AF Plat; AA PP
It really depends on the crew ... I have seen a spouse allowed to have the meal in AF P ...
Flight was 2/4. After the meal, they started to chat more lively, at which point I asked the crew to fix the situation.
I am also on the camp that if you want to enjoy F service, pay the full price.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 12:15 am

I've had this done in a similar situation with emirates but on economy and business. It was on the a380 metal and very very fortunately was not a full flight because of COVID. However, they did not allow us to congregate in the biz section but rather at the bar and lounge area in the back and it was restricted to passenger scarcity. Just ask the staff and they're usually pretty nice about it assuming the flight conditions allow it. I know it's a little different in your case though and that might not be applicable but tldr, just ask and the worst they say is no.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 3:42 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Dogmatick
Sadly unlikely as others will complain of the noise, it is up to the F&B manager and most are nice enough to but the other F passengers generally complain at the squeak of a mouse
Sorry, I'm one of those

If you want to dine together in First, then you should both pay for First, it's pretty simple.
burg_rtw and NoY like this.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 5:30 pm

Programs: Starwood PLATINUM, BA GOLD, KrisFlyer Blue, GFF Silver, BATS After Work Club, Emirates Silver
So it seems it's not really a question of noise but a question of 'why should someone else get something for free that I have paid a lot of money for'. Which I totally agree with!
I remember once I was in BA first and there was someone there who was the spouse of the crew or the pilot, and spent half the flight gossiping with the flight crew. I found it very annoying firstly because of the noise, and secondly because of the feeling that I had paid for something which someone else had got for free. (I had paid in points but still..)
NoY likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Just a follow up to my post--so Singapore Airlines did allow my wife to come up from business class to first class for a while (route SIN - FRA). I actually didn't ask but they offered it. They were so awesome throughout the whole route and even allowed us to swap seats from the FRA to JFK route. While I was in business class on the 2nd leg, they even brought a glass of Krug to me (I didn't asked, but my wife sent it).
Old Aug 20, 2023, 1:11 pm
ASI

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Sorry, I'm one of those

If you want to dine together in First, then you should both pay for First, it's pretty simple.
...which is great until the airline screws around with your booking.

I've twice had the situation with Etihad where my wife and I have been booked in business and had seats next to each other, and then found out at the gate that I have been upgraded to First - lovely, but actually I was more interested to sit with my wife. Both times the gate staff were unable to reverse the upgrade, and wouldn't let me swap with the passenger who had been pushed in to my business seat.

The first time the crew absolutely would not entertain us enjoying a drink together. The second time the crew kindly brought my wife forward to join me for a drink.

Still...all things considered, firmly in the domain of first-world problems...
Old Aug 21, 2023, 9:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Sorry, I'm one of those

Did the purser respond to your complaint and kick out the free-loader?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.