Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Redeeming EG Miles on Partner Booking. Is it even possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2022, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Hi FT!

Just been having the worst time redeeming EG miles . First agent made a mistake on WY ticket, cancelled the ticket, then took the cancellation miles for their mistake!

Have also been looking for MH award bookings, and I can see space on both QF and BA, but when I call up to book on Etihad, the agent says MH is not bookable as it's an 'unconfirmed' seat for ALL of 2022/2023. Is MH even bookable?! I don't understand why EY would even advertise MH as a redeemable partner.

Appreciate the tips/help if anyone has anything!
Old Aug 8, 2022, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by easyair
Appreciate the tips/help if anyone has anything!
It's certainly not unusual that redeeming on a "partner" airline can prove challenging; and not only in Etihad Guest. There is a common misconception that, if a seat is available on a particular airline (e.g. MH) in a particular frequent flyer programme (e.g. BA Executive Club) that it *should* be similarly available in every other FFP that "partners" with that airline; however, this is certainly not always the case.

Miles are not as liquid/redeemable as cash; you need to approach mileage redemptions with a different mindset, recognising that your potential to use them is already (vastly) restricted. In general, you would be better off looking to redeem Etihad Guest miles on Etihad flights; for trips that you want to take on Malaysia Airlines, then they might best be purchased with cash (or using Avios if you have any and see the seats available in BA Executive Club).

You can't force the Etihad Guest programme to adapt to your wishes; so you have to adapt your wishes to what can best be achieved from using Etihad Guest. And in most FFPs - not only Etihad Guest - seeking partner awards can be more challenging than seeking awards on the actual airline of that particular program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.