Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

A380 - retired but returning to service on some routes by Summer '23

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A380 - retired but returning to service on some routes by Summer '23

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2022, 3:37 am

Programs: EK Gold, QR Gold, WY Gold, Delta Silver Medallion
CDG/SYD are the other destinations that come to my mind for deploying the A380.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 4:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum. Aspiring flyer with both feet on the ground.
Now need to find the best way of snapping up some GuestSeat redemptions - a quick check quotes 1m miles for the A380 (!)
Old Dec 9, 2022, 4:39 am

Programs: EY Platinum
GuestSeat redemption prices have been nutty since "post" covid. I have yet to find a normally-priced GuestSeat to spend my miles on.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 6:58 am

700k miles for the apartment XD
Old Dec 12, 2022, 6:51 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pesos
700k miles for the apartment XD
SURPRISE !

72 J seats will quickly drain the mass of miles in the system as well as any remaining travel bank, I'm losing Plat after ten years in a couple of weeks and after enquiring was largely told to naff off so am not all that fussed as their premium status has the shine of lead atm. Will come back as and when they do

Never forget they sold all the upgrade rights via contracts to ensure certain passengers will always get any F seats if available, nobody else gets a look in, including and especially not loyal customers with top level status
Old Dec 13, 2022, 12:56 pm

Qatar, Emirates, and Qantas are both bringing their A380s back. Does this suggest Etihad may also do the same?
Old Dec 13, 2022, 6:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Plat
Hopefully this gets the geriatric 777's off the SYD/MEL - AUH route! I'm booked next July and would love to avoid them!!
Old Dec 14, 2022, 12:05 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by yongchen
Qatar, Emirates, and Qantas are both bringing their A380s back. Does this suggest Etihad may also do the same?
Did you read any of the previous posts?
Old Jan 31, 2023, 7:06 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum
1st A380 out of storage... A6-APG
https://www.aerotime.aero/articles/p...had-a380-video

oxfordjames and Gengy like this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 1:53 pm

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
Is it normal to get them out of storage this long before their first flight (July 23)?
Or maybe we'll see them flying before?
Old Feb 2, 2023, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by tuchop
Is it normal to get them out of storage this long before their first flight (July 23)?
Or maybe we'll see them flying before?
Probably needs some sort of certification and quite a lot of testing, it's massive don't forget. Also likely need one for training as well
tuchop likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 2:34 pm

I read they flew the distance with gear down as the can't do a gearswing test at the storage airport !
Cripes the pilot who flew that knowing it hasn't turned a wheel in years......

They're bringing four out apparently only to use on the LHR route, hopefully will affect our insane pricing atm
Old Feb 2, 2023, 4:51 pm

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
Well in all honesty I was just having my hopes up
I'm flying AUH-LHR in F in Late April, and an equipment swap would be awesome (787 to A380 that is).
Old Feb 3, 2023, 6:53 am

Programs: EXP
Originally Posted by Dogmatick
I read they flew the distance with gear down as the can't do a gearswing test at the storage airport !
Cripes the pilot who flew that knowing it hasn't turned a wheel in years......

They're bringing four out apparently only to use on the LHR route, hopefully will affect our insane pricing atm
I realise it's early days, in terms of summer schedules, but it seems that only 2 of the 4 dailies are A380, as of now. I think they may have other routes in mind, but haven't decided, or finalized.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by uspurs
I realise it's early days, in terms of summer schedules, but it seems that only 2 of the 4 dailies are A380, as of now. I think they may have other routes in mind, but haven't decided, or finalized.
Looks like 3 A380s daily and one 787 still. That's reduced to 3 A380s in the off season... Does that sound right?

I would love for some new A380 routes to open. I have flown the LHR-AUH route quite a few times in J and twice in F... It's always packed. Even when there are open J or F seats somehow at the very last minute they always fill up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.