Wiki Posts
Search

Business or First: Aeroplan Redemption

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2021, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Business or First: Aeroplan Redemption

Good Afternoon everyone,

I'm usually over in the Aeroplan forum but I'm wandering over here today to ask all the Etihad experts their opinions

I'm planning a late, LATE fall trip to Australia using Aeroplan miles and am looking at EY J and F. My routing will roughly be:

IAD-AUH
B789
1 3 hour flight
*14 hour connection*
AUH-SYD
14 hour flight
B77W
the reverse will be the same but with a 5 hour connection in AUH.

J is 105K points per way vs. 140K per way for F. I have points for both and taxes/fees are minimal.

Is F worth the extra points for space, service, ground service etc. Both travellers are 6', 275 lbs so seat comfort is important. Does F offer anything above J in terms of the long connection on the way to Australia (i.e. special services in AUH?).

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated!

Thank you from Nova Scotia
Old Feb 14, 2021, 11:29 am

Programs: AC MM SE, Marriott Titanium - Lifetime Plat 2nd Class, National Executive, Avis PP
Hi JasYHZ,

First time in this forum but your note did catch my eye as I am flying F in the Fall (assuming world is back to normal somewhat). 2 things stand out here :

1. Not sure Aus will be open to us Canucks in 2021 - that is the bigger issue here.

2. IF(f) it is, then for the extra 35K in Aeropesos, it is a no brainer. I will defer to others in this forum with more experience with the J product, but from what I have read before booking mine, there is a massive difference in the experience - spend the points. Better seat, more privacy, superior service, food, drink. Then there is the FC lounge in AUH with massage, etc...

Good luck with the trip.

CC
Old Feb 15, 2021, 2:09 pm

F is worth the 35k premium over J for the seat/suite alone. No question.

J seat is actually quite narrow for those who have a broad build and you won't feel comfortable when laying horizontal unless sleeping on your side.

But in these times there are so many variables between now and actually getting to sit in your F seat sipping that champagne, so good luck!
Old Feb 16, 2021, 1:04 am

F seat on that length will be worth the 35k. Ground services are very poor on EY.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 9:43 am

Since I flew EY in J recently(3 weeks ago JFK-AUH-MLE), I had the option to fly F but decided against it. All of their lounges outside of AUH airport are closed. I flew from JFK and their amazing lounge was closed. And they do not provide lounge alternatives, you get to stay in the terminal. Thanks to my Plat I was able to use the Centurion at JFK which was amazing.
The F lounge at AUH was closed and likely will be closed for a while. I don't see them reopening it, their Biz lounge was empty. The other PP lounge at AUH was a dump. I expect them to reopen the F lounge next year(at the earliest).
See this re: Australia: https://thepointsguy.com/news/austra...%20on%20Monday.

So if you get F you will only get better comfort and food, you will have access to the same lounges that everyone else does. Nothing extra beyond that.
hurnik likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 10:03 am

Programs: SE100K, Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive
Any updates on when the F lounge will open? Currently in F in May but will switch to J (to save points if the F lounge is still closed)
Old Mar 12, 2021, 2:18 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MME2YYZ
Any updates on when the F lounge will open? Currently in F in May but will switch to J (to save points if the F lounge is still closed)
Was literally just pondering this myself but can't see it happening before a significant number of F passengers are in the air. EY doesn't do chicken and egg anymore, the "if you build it they will come" days are behind us, so the F passengers will stay away because there is no lounge there by completing the self fulfilling prophecy.....
Old Mar 12, 2021, 7:03 am

Programs: SE100K, Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive
Changed to Business - thanks for the input
Old Mar 19, 2021, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National Emerald Club Exec Elite,
Originally Posted by MME2YYZ
Just Flew F - AUH - JFK this week

Bad news - F Lounge is closed

Good News - they have roped off a significant section of the Business Lounge for F Customers - it is monitored and to my eye has all of the F F&B Services, i.e. we were proactively served Charles Heidsieck 2006 Brut/Rose throughout as well as a special menu with waiter service. We we there for 4 hours and for a fair amount of time were the only people there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.