Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

EY no change fee trap (for changed to travel after 30 September)

EY no change fee trap (for changed to travel after 30 September)

Old Mar 4, 21, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SU Gold; KL Plat; BA Gold; A3 Gold
EY no change fee trap (for changes to travel after 30 September)

Just a word of warning to those who plan to benefit from EY covid flexibility policy.

If you book a ticket to travel before 30 September and want to change it for travel after 30 September then:

1) change fee will be waived
2) fare difference WILL apply (rather than MAY apply)

The reason for 'WILL' in point 2) above is very simple: cunning EY added an almost invisible USD 3 Q-charge for travel dates before 30 September. So if you change to travel after 30 September you WILL have to pay (significant) fare difference even if SAME fare (not just booking class) is available because:

a) Q charge is included into the fare and
b) the change rule is that new fare must be higher or equal than the changed fare

and since you are ALWAYS USD 3 cheaper - you will have to pay, likely a significant fare difference. Enjoy the tricky EY! Hope they go bust
Tofino87 and Granite64 like this.

Last edited by Keter; Mar 4, 21 at 11:26 pm
Old Mar 6, 21, 4:48 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Sorry I don't get you, surely then the difference is just $3 ?

and what is Q charge?

Last edited by Dogmatick; Mar 6, 21 at 5:39 am
Old Mar 7, 21, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dogmatick View Post
Sorry I don't get you, surely then the difference is just $3 ?

and what is Q charge?
Q charge is an additional cost to a passenger, here to travel before 30 September 2021. Most airline fares (except the (full) flex/ normal fares) require changes are to an equal or higher fare, airlines would rather eat their aircrafts than issue voluntary refunds to passengers So if you change to dates where this surcharge does not apply (the ticket in a same booking class would cost $3 less if purchased anew) then you cannot change to $3 less fare, you will have to pay the next higher fare that in some cases may be significantly higher.

A good example is tactical business class promo Z fares currently available from Asia to Middle East and Europe.
Old Mar 7, 21, 10:48 pm

This would be bettter explained if you gave some real examples, I'm still not sure what tthe issue is here
Old Mar 9, 21, 2:28 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
The problem seems to be that you cannot change to the same booking class. Say you booked class N. You cannot rebook to class N. That is because booking class N (after Sept 30) is most likely USD 3 cheaper than your original booking class N (for your original booking). And the rebooking rules state that you are not allowed to rebook into anything cheaper. So if you want to rebook you need to rebook to a more expensive booking class, which may cost you hundreds of Euros more.

That is very, very cheeky indeed.
What I wonder - The champion of such revenue tricks seem to be the LH Group.
Keter likes this.
Old Mar 9, 21, 4:59 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Used to be you could book to a lower class and waive the refund
Old Mar 9, 21, 7:08 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Used to be you could book to a lower class and waive the refund
Right! But this right had been quietly eliminated.
Old Mar 10, 21, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by warakorn View Post
That is very, very cheeky indeed.
What I wonder - The champion of such revenue tricks seem to be the LH Group.
I thought it is Aeroflot whose revenue management probably feels personally offended if a passenger can benefit in a way not anticipated by Aeroflot That is just really wrong people ruling the process. They shall forgot about a small share of people like me exploiting their policy loopholes and work towards customer excellence with the general public.
Old Mar 24, 21, 4:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, TAP Gold, RJ Platinum, ALL Diamond, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Keter View Post
Just a word of warning to those who plan to benefit from EY covid flexibility policy.

If you book a ticket to travel before 30 September and want to change it for travel after 30 September then:

1) change fee will be waived
2) fare difference WILL apply (rather than MAY apply)

The reason for 'WILL' in point 2) above is very simple: cunning EY added an almost invisible USD 3 Q-charge for travel dates before 30 September. So if you change to travel after 30 September you WILL have to pay (significant) fare difference even if SAME fare (not just booking class) is available because:

a) Q charge is included into the fare and
b) the change rule is that new fare must be higher or equal than the changed fare

and since you are ALWAYS USD 3 cheaper - you will have to pay, likely a significant fare difference. Enjoy the tricky EY! Hope they go bust
So if I book something for November and change it then to a later date before 30 September, this won't happen?
Old Mar 24, 21, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Atlantico View Post
So if I book something for November and change it then to a later date before 30 September, this won't happen?
Assuming nothing changes in my scenario then you can make one change by paying USD 3 more. But you cannot change back to a date on/ after 01 October unless you pay higher fare (and the difference can be quite significant).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: