Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel voucher 50% bonus credit

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2020, 3:40 am

I would see this offer in a better light if Etihad had not recently cheated (hundreds of?) thousands of passengers out of refunds for cancelled flights, with the only offer being a travel voucher valid for a year and a paltry few hundred USD bonus for the longest flights, which in many cases won't even cover the higher prices they are charging now.

Surely it would have made more sense to offer this 50% bonus to those who had their flights cancelled recently? That way those customers might have come out of it with a better opinion of Etihad. My bank is processing a credit card charge-back which presumably will be paid for out of funds that Etihad hope to receive from this 50% promotion, which is probably one of the reasons they are doing it.
As far as I'm concerned Etihad will never see any of my money ever again, even if they miraculously become the world's best and cheapest airline. They have proven themselves to be totally untrustworthy.
Cedar Jet likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 4:05 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DarrelT
I would see this offer in a better light if Etihad had not recently cheated (hundreds of?) thousands of passengers out of refunds for cancelled flights, with the only offer being a travel voucher valid for a year and a paltry few hundred USD bonus for the longest flights, which in many cases won't even cover the higher prices they are charging now.

Surely it would have made more sense to offer this 50% bonus to those who had their flights cancelled recently? That way those customers might have come out of it with a better opinion of Etihad. My bank is processing a credit card charge-back which presumably will be paid for out of funds that Etihad hope to receive from this 50% promotion, which is probably one of the reasons they are doing it.
As far as I'm concerned Etihad will never see any of my money ever again, even if they miraculously become the world's best and cheapest airline. They have proven themselves to be totally untrustworthy.

Fair point, I see it as the equivalent of the cash grab IAG is doing with their Avios bonus of 75% and I went for that. Wish I hadn't now having seen the disgusting way they're treating their staff
Old Jun 11, 2020, 6:31 am

Programs: Starwood PLATINUM, BA GOLD, KrisFlyer Blue, GFF Silver, BATS After Work Club, Emirates Silver
Most people are trying to get their money back from airlines at this point. I wouldn't be giving them more money, whatever it is for or however attractive they make it seem.

Last edited by john11111111111; Jun 12, 2020 at 10:29 am
Old Jun 11, 2020, 6:55 am

Programs: ey gold tg gold accor gold
Originally Posted by john11111111111
Most people are trying to get their money back from airlines at this point. I would be giving them more money, whatever it is for or however attractive they make it seem.
At least Etihad are still flying and trying to do something . If you had flights booked and cancelled with Thai , they've just gone bankrupt , for that exact reason . Thousands won't be refunded or re-booked....
Old Jun 11, 2020, 8:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Emirates Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by tommy123
At least Etihad are still flying and trying to do something . If you had flights booked and cancelled with Thai , they've just gone bankrupt , for that exact reason . Thousands won't be refunded or re-booked....
What guarantee is there that Etihad, after taking the money for future travel, will still be around when the passenger eventually wishes to travel? EY already made huge losses (USD 4 Bn last year if am not mistaken) prior to Covid era? Also, what guarantee is there that their prices when the pax, after having bought the 50% extra voucher, eventually wishes to travel, will be competitive? There is no indication of any of these at this moment. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush!
Old Jun 11, 2020, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by lall
What guarantee is there that Etihad, after taking the money for future travel, will still be around when the passenger eventually wishes to travel? EY already made huge losses (USD 4 Bn last year if am not mistaken) prior to Covid era? Also, what guarantee is there that their prices when the pax, after having bought the 50% extra voucher, eventually wishes to travel, will be competitive? There is no indication of any of these at this moment. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush!
I can't see the UAE government letting them go bankrupt . It would be a complete loss of face and embarrassment . Their noisy neighbours would be dancing in the streets ...However what Thai have done is a disgrace . Their government have been bailing the airline out for years , but now , rather than refunding customers money , they have purposely let the airline go under ....talk about corruption
Old Jun 11, 2020, 4:32 pm

Can anybody provide some clarity here please.

Can you use the voucher immediately to book flights from 1st August 2020 onwards, or do you have to wait until 1st August 2020 to actually book anything?

Thanks
Old Jun 11, 2020, 5:25 pm

The way I read the info on the website, you cannot book before 1.8 - if in doubt, call and ask
Old Jun 12, 2020, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Thai offers rebookings or vouchers for existing tickets. In their case I'd recommend a charge back though. Can't trust TG in any way!
Old Jun 12, 2020, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lall
Be careful! there is a big catch in this offer. Alongside this 50% extra value offer, Etihad had hiked its ticket prices by almost 100%. Current prices are at close to 100% more than competition. Examples are below.
Bombay-IAD (Washington DC) in J for April 2021 on BA is USD 2.300; on EY its over $4,000.
I just just checked various origins and destinations on EY routes and they are all 75%-100% more than competition prices (compared to Singapore Airlines, JAL, BA, AF/KLM and other major airlines).
A creative strategy devised by EY to trap naive travellers.
Be warned. Do your homework before committing your money.
They didn't raise prices. These are standard fares and there are no sales at the moment. Just because other carriers are cheaper doesn't mean Etihad raised priced. What kinda logic is that?
Old Jun 12, 2020, 3:53 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
As a gold card holder for 12 years now , I've stuck with Etihad . I've moaned and complained continuesly on this thread over the last 5+ years , but recently I've been quite impressed . The lounge at LHR is back in Etihad possession , both AUH lounges are faultless ,, service on board in J has always been good , in Y they've discontinued the stupid one dish menu and a full assorted tray is served , in BKK the outsourced lounge ( the Miricle ) there is far more selection now than before and is leaps ahead of Thais own flagship lounge... Ok the chauffeur service is still gone , but what other airlines offer the service , only Emirates , and they've cut several locations . ....Regarding the 50% bonus , I've looked through various routes on different dates and I honestly can't find a fault, regarding prices . My only concern would be , if you booked a Y saver , or J saver fare , using your travel bank fund , are you able to upgrade to a higher cabin using miles . Hopefully someone at Etihad could clarify this ...... I'm digging the garden up now , trying to remember where I hid that retirement stash , this is an offer to good to miss
Hey Tommy is this a plea for me to return back into the fold? My experience of the Miracle Lounge and the new Thai one are very different I thought the Thai one was far far superior (although the other Thai lounges left a bit to be desired I agree) I thought the food was really disappointing in the Miracle lounge both in First and business and the only good thing about the lounge was the outside smoking are where I could happily puff away on my pipe
Old Jun 12, 2020, 4:01 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
I forgot to add going back to the subject do make sure you check out the T&Cs I remember when Etihad offered a Man City tie up which offered 10% off. When I complained that I could not apply it on the Business Saver fare they told me it was only available on the business flex fare (they may have been called different things back then) which meant to take advantage you would have to pay more rather than save. However as neither the promotional material or the T&Cs made this clear they did honor the 10% on the fare and changed the T&Cs

SO BEWARE make sure it is available on all fares
Old Jun 12, 2020, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by amnicoll
I forgot to add going back to the subject do make sure you check out the T&Cs I remember when Etihad offered a Man City tie up which offered 10% off. When I complained that I could not apply it on the Business Saver fare they told me it was only available on the business flex fare (they may have been called different things back then) which meant to take advantage you would have to pay more rather than save. However as neither the promotional material or the T&Cs made this clear they did honor the 10% on the fare and changed the T&Cs

SO BEWARE make sure it is available on all fares
I'm still awaiting a reply from Etihad , I shall hold back until the 19th and make a decision then . Obviously if it's only valid on flex or fully flex fares , it's a waste of time , as usual nothing to clarify all this
Old Jun 12, 2020, 1:02 pm

Programs: QR Gold, *A Gold, IHG Plat., Hilton Gold, Etihad Guest Gold
I'm still awaiting a reply from Etihad , I shall hold back until the 19th and make a decision then . Obviously if it's only valid on flex or fully flex fares , it's a waste of time , as usual nothing to clarify all this
I gave Etihad a call today to find out more about the travel bank and here is what they said.

1. If you are not sure about travel bank working - give us your routing and we will give you an answer.
In my case it was
JNB-AUH-CMB-MLE-AUH-JNB ——————>. No inventory so no answer

2. We tried
JNB-AUH. MLE-AUH-JNB —————> Managed to price

3. We also tried the AMEX 10% discount ————> Managed to price

What I can tell it works on any flight you can price on Etihad.com and to give you some form of safety, you can ask the travel bank team to check your itinerary and then use expert flyer to give them the fare basis you want. Etihad at the moment has a lot of “missing” inventory for example, as above there is nothing on JNB-AUH-MLE in Business in December.

I hope this helps.
BTW I called Etihad UK, the South Africa number listed doesn’t have a travel bank option. Not sure what region you are in.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 7:06 pm

Programs: TK*G, QR Gold, VA Gold, NZ Gold
I understand some sentiments above about other travellers not able to get back their cash.

On the other hand, it is an attractive offer, I just searched CDG-UAH-ICN on First and effectively just paying €1k for each leg on 'Apartment'. I reckon its a great deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.