Travel voucher 50% bonus credit

Old Jun 10, 20, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Travel voucher 50% bonus credit

Anybody else received an email regarding a 50% bonus if you purchase an Etihad travel voucher?

seems if initial purchase is anywhere between $250-65,000 then youíll get a flat 50% bonus credit on top.

Iím curious because, despite the cutbacks in service, I would be keen to try etihadís first class.

The bonus credit appears to work towards taxes etc on flights too, no mention of restrictions.

PLUS you earn normal miles etc when the credit is used.

So, letís say a first class flight Iím looking at is $7500 - this appears to mean I could effectively purchase it for only $5,000 if credited to travel bank first for the bonus?
Old Jun 10, 20, 8:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
It's on their website, too:

https://www.etihad.com/en-ca/book/sp...travel-voucher
Old Jun 10, 20, 8:13 am

Programs: HH - Diamond, EY Gold, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Tofino87 View Post
Anybody else received an email regarding a 50% bonus if you purchase an Etihad travel voucher?

seems if initial purchase is anywhere between $250-65,000 then youíll get a flat 50% bonus credit on top.

Iím curious because, despite the cutbacks in service, I would be keen to try etihadís first class.

The bonus credit appears to work towards taxes etc on flights too, no mention of restrictions.

PLUS you earn normal miles etc when the credit is used.

So, letís say a first class flight Iím looking at is $7500 - this appears to mean I could effectively purchase it for only $5,000 if credited to travel bank first for the bonus?
Initially it looks like a good deal. But the evil will be in the detail. Terms and conditions will be important.

The main problem with it, is that you will be stuck with EY. Buy the voucher now and you can't use it until Auguust to make a booking. There is a good chance that you will be able to buy a ticket from a different Airline at less than your original purchase price (not counting the 50% bonus). Maybe I am being cynical about it, but I dont trust them to give me 50% extra without a gotcha.
Old Jun 10, 20, 8:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Emirates Skywards Silver
Be careful! there is a big catch in this offer. Alongside this 50% extra value offer, Etihad had hiked its ticket prices by almost 100%. Current prices are at close to 100% more than competition. Examples are below.
Bombay-IAD (Washington DC) in J for April 2021 on BA is USD 2.300; on EY its over $4,000.
I just just checked various origins and destinations on EY routes and they are all 75%-100% more than competition prices (compared to Singapore Airlines, JAL, BA, AF/KLM and other major airlines).
A creative strategy devised by EY to trap naive travellers.
Be warned. Do your homework before committing your money.

Last edited by lall; Jun 10, 20 at 10:39 pm
Old Jun 10, 20, 3:10 pm

Programs: ey gold tg gold accor gold
Originally Posted by lall View Post
Be careful! there if a big catch in this offer. Alongside this 50% extra value offer, Etihad had hiked its ticket prices by almost 100%. Current prices are at close to 100% more than competition. Examples are below.
Bombay-IAD (Washington DC) in J for April 2021 on BA is USD 2.300; on EY its over $4,000.
I just just checked various origins and destinations on EY routes and they are all 75%-100% more than competition prices (compared to Singapore Airlines, JAL, BA, AF/KLM and other major airlines).
A creative strategy devised by EY to trap naive travellers.
Be warned. Do your homework before committing your money.
I actually disagree here , the prices from LHR--BKK are pretty much the same as before
Old Jun 10, 20, 7:06 pm

From SE Asia to US
US$4,355 before discount CGK - JFK First class (Business CGK - AUH) seems very attractive.
Old Jun 10, 20, 7:27 pm

CDG-AUH-ICN return (all segments a380 apartments) for $3867 + 50% bonus
https://www.google.com/flights?hl=en...8*2.USD.579818
Old Jun 10, 20, 8:00 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald. GF Black; Accor Silver; Hyatt Explorist.
Why would anyone still be flying Etihad. They are terrible in the air with their glory days long gone. If they didn't still have the hard product leftover they'd be a very average airline. Food, service, amenities, lounges all now sub par. The voucher is the least they can do considering the decline.
Old Jun 10, 20, 9:57 pm

Programs: ey gold tg gold accor gold
Originally Posted by Cedar Jet View Post
Why would anyone still be flying Etihad. They are terrible in the air with their glory days long gone. If they didn't still have the hard product leftover they'd be a very average airline. Food, service, amenities, lounges all now sub par. The voucher is the least they can do considering the decline.
As a gold card holder for 12 years now , I've stuck with Etihad . I've moaned and complained continuesly on this thread over the last 5+ years , but recently I've been quite impressed . The lounge at LHR is back in Etihad possession , both AUH lounges are faultless ,, service on board in J has always been good , in Y they've discontinued the stupid one dish menu and a full assorted tray is served , in BKK the outsourced lounge ( the Miricle ) there is far more selection now than before and is leaps ahead of Thais own flagship lounge... Ok the chauffeur service is still gone , but what other airlines offer the service , only Emirates , and they've cut several locations . ....Regarding the 50% bonus , I've looked through various routes on different dates and I honestly can't find a fault, regarding prices . My only concern would be , if you booked a Y saver , or J saver fare , using your travel bank fund , are you able to upgrade to a higher cabin using miles . Hopefully someone at Etihad could clarify this ...... I'm digging the garden up now , trying to remember where I hid that retirement stash , this is an offer to good to miss
Old Jun 10, 20, 10:34 pm

Programs: EY Gold, HH Gold, GHA Plat, QR Gold
Originally Posted by tommy123 View Post
As a gold card holder for 12 years now , I've stuck with Etihad . I've moaned and complained continuesly on this thread over the last 5+ years , but recently I've been quite impressed . The lounge at LHR is back in Etihad possession , both AUH lounges are faultless ,, service on board in J has always been good , in Y they've discontinued the stupid one dish menu and a full assorted tray is served , in BKK the outsourced lounge ( the Miricle ) there is far more selection now than before and is leaps ahead of Thais own flagship lounge... Ok the chauffeur service is still gone , but what other airlines offer the service , only Emirates , and they've cut several locations . ....Regarding the 50% bonus , I've looked through various routes on different dates and I honestly can't find a fault, regarding prices . My only concern would be , if you booked a Y saver , or J saver fare , using your travel bank fund , are you able to upgrade to a higher cabin using miles . Hopefully someone at Etihad could clarify this ...... I'm digging the garden up now , trying to remember where I hid that retirement stash , this is an offer to good to miss
I agree with tommy123 Etihad of the past 18 months is almost back to its glory dates (minus the chauffeur).. the amenity kits in C and F are tons better, of not the best they've had. the food in F is better than ever and in C the dine on demand the hard product is phenomenal still. The wine list can improve in C but overall im happy with them. when the midfield opens and the new launches are available it will be even better E2E experience.
Old Jun 10, 20, 10:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Emirates Skywards Silver
I actually disagree here , the prices from LHR--BKK are pretty much the same as before
Yes you can disagree, but fact is fact.
Just checked Google flights prices for LON-BKK from July 2020 to May 2021 in J class.
EY prices are pretty standard: USD 2,800 for return trip whereas Swiss, Lufthansa, Austrian are all between $1900 and $2000.
Old Jun 11, 20, 1:15 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum
Originally Posted by lall View Post
Yes you can disagree, but fact is fact.
Just checked Google flights prices for LON-BKK from July 2020 to May 2021 in J class.
EY prices are pretty standard: USD 2,800 for return trip whereas Swiss, Lufthansa, Austrian are all between $1900 and $2000.
A quick check shows that EY have not released ANY Breaking Deal or Saver fares yet - that is why their prices don't appear competitive. Once they do prices hopefully will drop to more realistic levels and be competitive.
tommy123 and anna2017 like this.
Old Jun 11, 20, 1:22 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum
Originally Posted by eddibabyyeah View Post
Initially it looks like a good deal. But the evil will be in the detail. Terms and conditions will be important.

The main problem with it, is that you will be stuck with EY. Buy the voucher now and you can't use it until Auguust to make a booking. There is a good chance that you will be able to buy a ticket from a different Airline at less than your original purchase price (not counting the 50% bonus). Maybe I am being cynical about it, but I dont trust them to give me 50% extra without a gotcha.
These vouchers are credited to your Travel Bank - T&Cs are available here: https://www.etihad.com/en-ae/help/travel-bank - seems clear enough - except whether flights purchased with TB can be upgraded with miles?

Like tommy123 says 50% extra credit is a great deal if you intend to still fly EY in the next 2 years.
Old Jun 11, 20, 1:55 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JayCee1966 View Post
These vouchers are credited to your Travel Bank - T&Cs are available here: https://www.etihad.com/en-ae/help/travel-bank - seems clear enough - except whether flights purchased with TB can be upgraded with miles?

Like tommy123 says 50% extra credit is a great deal if you intend to still fly EY in the next 2 years.

Unless they go under or merge, one wonders what claw back there could be. It would generally be hard to imagine as the loss of face would be massive but never say never !!
Old Jun 11, 20, 1:59 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Oh and nothing anywhere to say that they can't charge a different fare to Travel Bank users than people paying cold hard cash....

Am very conflicted as to whether to go for this or not

Search this Thread
Search Engine: