Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New rules regarding food

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2019, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

New rules regarding food

Had a really bad experience boarding return flight to the US from BLR. The gate agent refused to allow all edible items in checked baggage - packaged sweets/snacks/dry spices. As a result, I had to board with just one of my 2 checked bags and ended up having to mail out my other suitcase to family in India at great expense. The gate agent at Etihad said this was due to US preclearance requirements. Any one else have similar issues? I just will never be using this airline again!
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Originally Posted by agstar
Had a really bad experience boarding return flight to the US from BLR. The gate agent refused to allow all edible items in checked baggage - packaged sweets/snacks/dry spices. As a result, I had to board with just one of my 2 checked bags and ended up having to mail out my other suitcase to family in India at great expense. The gate agent at Etihad said this was due to US preclearance requirements. Any one else have similar issues? I just will never be using this airline again!
The CBP website provides the following:

The following are generally admissible if they are unopened and commercially packed. Many prepared foods that are unopened and commercially labeled are admissible (excluding meats and meat products). You may bring bakery items and most cheeses into the United States. As a general rule, condiments, vinegars, oils, packaged spices, honey, coffee, fish, tea, and baby formula are admissible. Because rice can often harbor insects, it is best to avoid bringing it into the United States, particularly if it is in loose burlap packaging. Foods in packaging that appears unsafe or contaminated may be refused entry.

A lot of emphasis is placed on packaging-- if it looks like commercial packaging in the West you should not have been denied, but if the packaging appeared shoddy or homemade then EY and its agents could have reasonably denied carriage.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

The EY agents did not even look at the content. They just said anything that can be termed "food' is inadmissible. I'm a frequent traveler between these two countries and have never had this experience before. I have also traveled on EY before, but never had this experience. Well, live and learn and just wanted to warn those that are potentially considering traveling with any food.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 1:04 am

How is the gate agent searching your checked luggage, which has been checked in long before you get to the gate? If you mean the check-in agent, they don't normally get to search your luggage either. Something is strange about this story.

At best they could ask "Are you carrying any food?" although I have not even experienced that. If so, "food" is shorthand for non-permitted items, and the answer should have been that no, you are not carrying any "food". They are not qualified or authorized to enforce US Customs rules.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Yes, sorry, meant ‘check in’ agent not ‘gate’ agent. Well, maybe that was the issue - they asked about all the prohibited items - power banks, batteries, and they said “food” and now looking back I should have said no instead of yes. But I tried to explain these were packaged items but got nowhere.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by agstar
Yes, sorry, meant ‘check in’ agent not ‘gate’ agent. Well, maybe that was the issue - they asked about all the prohibited items - power banks, batteries, and they said “food” and now looking back I should have said no instead of yes. But I tried to explain these were packaged items but got nowhere.
They were being overzealous and ultimately wrong. Best option is to try for a reimbursement of the shipping costs to your family at this time.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Yes, thank you. I agree. Overzealous and uninformed and very rude customer service. It was extremely stressful to figure out how to dispose the bag since I did not have anyone see me off at the airport. Not to mention the fact that I had already paid excess baggage prior since I was traveling from a domestic smaller airport to make my international connection at BLR.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: United 1K, AA Exec P, Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Avis Pres. Club, Hertz Gold
I think generally countries that pre clear outside the US think our rules are so strict they're overzealous of what can be brought on planes. Flying from Panama i had someone ask me to remove all my wire coat hangers from the suiter because US wouldnt allow it. Another said you cant fly with lighters because the US wont allow it. Another wouldnt let me fly with fishing reels because the US wont allow it. We all know that these things are fine in carry on luggage flying domestically.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 5:23 pm

Programs: ey gold tg gold accor gold
Good job your not going to Australia , the instant $220 fine , we've all seen it on tv
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Sounds like Etihad wants to do something to make sure that their AUH-US pre-clearance flights depart on time.

From what I heard, these flights often get delayed due to many passengers being subject to secondary customs screening (US customs x-rays the bags and if they find items of interest [organic material such as food etc.], bring them upstairs for further inspection with the passenger present and then send the bag back downstairs for loading onto the aircraft).
reigndrop likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 4:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Was the food really worth paying extra to mail the entire luggage? I would have left it with the check-in agent for disposal.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 5:49 am

One can encounter overzealous gate agents anywhere in the world, with food and other items. Many of us have had experiences. If you have time, ask for for a supervisor to clarify the ruling by the check in agent. You have that right, but many passengers do not bother, or are in a hurry to board. I think the best tactic is to allow yourself ample time to clear security if you have unusual items in your baggage, carry on or checked. This allows enough time to have your baggage items examined. I've brought compliant food items into the US in my checked luggage without issue. If in doubt, ask.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.