Family sitting in different classes

Old Oct 27, 2018, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Family sitting in different classes

folks -I sort of know the answer to this queston but would like the latest anyways

1) we are a family of 4 but could only secure 2 award seats in business so 2 are in economy. Do the flight staff frown upon moving between the classes to meet family and possibly swapping seats for a bit
2) are aadvantage award tickets eligible for upgrades? What's the approximate cost in december for JFK-AUH

Thx
Old Oct 27, 2018, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

anybody?
Old Oct 27, 2018, 9:23 pm

The general rule that I have always gone by is that those in the 'upper' class can move down to see relatives, but not the other way around. If I have paid for a business class seat, I would personally be annoyed if someone (same cabin or not), felt the need to come and stand next to my seat to have a conversation there.

Either everyone pays for the same class, or stay away for a few hours
Old Oct 27, 2018, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I think that the crew will not be happy with anybody coming and going into the business class section.
If you want to do one swap - after the main meal - ask the flight attendant and see if they agree.
it is one swap and that is it.
I have seen people from coach coming and going into the business class cabin to meet friends/family and I do not like it.
One of the reason of paying to sit up front is space, privacy and less people. point.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 10:01 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Plus, I see from your other thread that you have a lap infant. You will not be able to bring the lap infant into the business class cabin if you have only paid the coach fee. That is non-negotiable. Or did you buy the infant a coach seat in the end?
Old Oct 28, 2018, 3:12 am

It's annoying for other passengers in Business Class or Economy Class if you visit there.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:07 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EY Gold, AY Silver, MR Plat
Due to upgrade availability on flights, there are many occasions that myself, wife and son are in different cabins. I have never wandered around to go see them and vice versa. Personally, I think its bad manners and shows lack of respect for other people.

I recently flew AUH-MAN and I was in J. There was an elderly woman sat across the aisle from me who's daughters spent a good 3 hours wandering backwards and forwards from economy and stood next to me/her chatting with their mother. The crew chose to do nothing about it.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:47 am

In my experience flight attendants on Etihad are very use to seeing people from "lower" cabins come into the upper cabins. That is, though, this normally happens with Emiratis who are seated in F or J, while their servants/staff are in Y. I cant tell you the number of EY F flights I've been on from AUH to IAD or JFK where there was a family in F while their "servants" (normally Philipinos or Indonesians, sometimes Thai) were seated in Coach. In all cases, the second the plane took off, the servants would be up in First class attending to every single need of their employers. In many occasions, the flight attendants wouldnt even address the passengers in F, they'd do everything through the "sevants", and the servants would even serve their employers their meals. Sometimes I've even seen the servants buckle/ unbuckle their employers' seat belts.

Bottom line - it's not unusual to see movement between cabins on EY, though I'd still exercise discretion.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by jasondc
In my experience flight attendants on Etihad are very use to seeing people from "lower" cabins come into the upper cabins. That is, though, this normally happens with Emiratis who are seated in F or J, while their servants/staff are in Y. I cant tell you the number of EY F flights I've been on from AUH to IAD or JFK where there was a family in F while their "servants" (normally Philipinos or Indonesians, sometimes Thai) were seated in Coach. In all cases, the second the plane took off, the servants would be up in First class attending to every single need of their employers. In many occasions, the flight attendants wouldnt even address the passengers in F, they'd do everything through the "sevants", and the servants would even serve their employers their meals. Sometimes I've even seen the servants buckle/ unbuckle their employers' seat belts.

Bottom line - it's not unusual to see movement between cabins on EY, though I'd still exercise discretion.
Buckle / unbuckle seat belts?! Talk about the ultimate power desire..
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Recondite
Buckle / unbuckle seat belts?! Talk about the ultimate power desire..
All i can say is that it was a memorable experience. I'd NEVER seen something like it. Flight attendants didnt seem to mind. All I could think the entire time, though, was that something like that would have never been permitted on United/American/ etc

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.