Search

Etihad newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Etihad newbie questions

Hi,

First of all, sorry for the newbie questions.

I've booked a MAN-BKK return in Business which will be my first flight with them, any tips for getting the most from the experience? Best food options, in lounge or in the air, which lounge in BKK (which seems lacking), all flights are on 777.

Thanks
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/etihad-airways-etihad-guest/1920231-first-time-flying-etihad-zrh-auh-pnq-business-class.html
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum
Hi heronb, we were all newbies once! As you haven't given any indication of which flights you are travelling on I've left things slightly vague.

777 Flights

There are 2 variants on this routes, both are usually 2 class - Boeing 777-300ER (77W) Two Class V1 with 28 J seats and V2 with 40 seats. Seatguru shows these really well. The latter has 2 cabins - avoid the rear one if possible due to proximity of Y cabin, especially last row as these are the bulkhead for Y and the designated bassinet seats.

Usually food orders are taken from the rear of the cabin to the front, as food may run out if you are worried choose a seat at the rear. 11A and 11K are my V1 favourites and 10A and 10K my V2 favourites.
I would also consider POSH (Port Out / Starboard Home) on seat selection as on day flights the window blinds nearest the sun get quite hot!

Travelling alone I would always choose the A or K seats if available, as these are true window seats giving great privacy, C&H are aisle seats and you run the risk of being bumped by passing traffic. I would avoid the middle seats as you can be very close to a stranger in the "honeymoon" E&F seats. Travelling as a couple the E&F are more desirable.

Sample menus are available on the EY website just put in your origin and destination (I can't get flight # option to work ). EY are rotating their menus every 2 months or so and choices on the day and evening flights differ so plenty of choice. MAN-AUH-MAN has A La Carte and All Day dining options and you can choose to eat when and what you want. AUH-BKK-AUH legs do not have All Day dining just A La Carte but pretty sure DoD is still an option and you can eat more than once if you want to. If it's your first EY J experience make the most of it

At MAN
You will get Priority Lane access as a business traveller which should speed up that part of the journey. Lounge opens 3 hours before departure and has great views of the apron if you like watching the planes.
Lounge isn't usually crowded, but that depends on how many on the day sales are made at check-in. Food is self service buffet - EY22 usually has 3 hot options plus salads and desserts; EY16 has a variety of hot breakfast options with fresh eggs choices, toast, cereal, yoghurt and pastries. Bar service is good with plenty of choices including "fancy" coffees too. There is a boarding announcement so you don't have to head to the gate when screen says to. Your luggage should also get Priority tags put on and be some of the first off in BKK.

At AUH
You should get priority transit clearance - show boarding card and they open the J/F Elites lane if not already open. T3 lanes are the first you get to on the left, similarly in T1 there are dedicated lanes for J/F passengers. There can be a melee in both locations depending on which flights have arrived at the same time as you did. You'll get access to Business Class lounge in either T1 or T3( near Gate 35) & T3 is bigger and has more choice T1 is quieter. If your BKK flight goes from Gates 3 to 10 lounge in T1 is nearest, otherwise T3 is your best bet. 10-15 minutes maximum walk between T1 and T3 and no secondary security - except at gates.

Regarding BKK I don't have any experience on EY yet, I am flying with them next month so I'm in the same boat as you... I have flown Oman Air there 2 years ago but that's a totally different experience.

No doubt one of the other FTers will fill in the BKK blanks.

Originally Posted by heronb
Hi,

First of all, sorry for the newbie questions.

I've booked a MAN-BKK return in Business which will be my first flight with them, any tips for getting the most from the experience? Best food options, in lounge or in the air, which lounge in BKK (which seems lacking), all flights are on 777.

Thanks
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the lengthy reply, great info there. Three of the flights are on the 2 cabins with the other single cabin, I'll be travelling with my better half and may take the middle seats, but we usually try to grab window seats each. It seems that window seats don't have much storage in and around the seat?

EY16 and EY15 are the MAN/AUH legs, and I was surprised to see that the lounge option in BKK was a third party Louis Tavern CIP Lounge? I think this is now branded as a Miracle First and Business Lounge but I could be wrong.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: UAMP, DLSM, EYEG, QRPC
Originally Posted by heronb
Thanks for the lengthy reply, great info there. Three of the flights are on the 2 cabins with the other single cabin, I'll be travelling with my better half and may take the middle seats, but we usually try to grab window seats each. It seems that window seats don't have much storage in and around the seat?

EY16 and EY15 are the MAN/AUH legs, and I was surprised to see that the lounge option in BKK was a third party Louis Tavern CIP Lounge? I think this is now branded as a Miracle First and Business Lounge but I could be wrong.
Yep Luise is now Miracle. renovated but not much an improvement. Overall ey has gone downhill for several year now, just don't expected too much
Old Aug 1, 2018, 12:45 am

Programs: EY, QR Platinum, BA Gold
All good advice so far. On the BKK flight they use version 2 of the 777 and I usually sit in seat 10A at the rear of first J cabin but any of the A's or K's are good as they are single row inside seats and private. The Bangkok flights don't have dine on demand menu anymore but you can tell the flight crew when you want to dine.

As for the lounge in Bangkok use the Miracle Lounge by gate D4 as it has cook to order Thai dishes after 11am and before that a hot breakfast buffet. The other Miracle or Louis Tavern lounges are not that great at all.
JayCee1966 likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flightcrew1
All good advice so far. On the BKK flight they use version 2 of the 777 and I usually sit in seat 10A at the rear of first J cabin but any of the A's or K's are good as they are single row inside seats and private. The Bangkok flights don't have dine on demand menu anymore but you can tell the flight crew when you want to dine.

As for the lounge in Bangkok use the Miracle Lounge by gate D4 as it has cook to order Thai dishes after 11am and before that a hot breakfast buffet. The other Miracle or Louis Tavern lounges are not that great at all.
Thanks, that's good to know re the lounges.

I'm used to BA so my expectations aren't that high
Old Aug 6, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EY Gold, AY Silver, MR Plat
Originally Posted by flightcrew1
I think they are starting to use the 789 a bit more on the BKK route. I flew last week on EY404 and it was a 789. Same goes for my flight next week on EY402. That is also 789. There is not much difference between the 777 or 789 in J. Just a bit newer, otherwise just about the same experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.