Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to Bid Upgrades coming soon...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2018, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum
Changes to Bid Upgrades coming soon...

Anyone else seen the news from last week about changes to bid upgrades - EY News.
Coming soon live auctions from 24 hours out up to 6 hours before flight! Use miles for Bid Upgrades! Thoughts?

Etihad Airways innovates upgrade programme to a dynamic live auction

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates – Etihad Airways has enhanced its upgrade offering to a dynamic live auction which will make it easier for customers to secure a premium seat in a higher cabin class.

Customers will be able to take part in a bidding system where real-time notifications of their bid will be displayed on their screen, allowing two or more individual bids at the same time. Regular email and SMS updates will also be sent to notify them if they have been outbid.

Jamal Al Awadhi, Etihad Airways Head of Guest Experience Commercial, said: “A first in the region, this dynamic live auction will give guests the chance to select a premium offering at a price they are willing to pay by putting them in control of the experience.

“This new gamification layer will also add a fun element to travel before the journey begins, as passengers compete with each other. Our mobile responsive website makes it even easier for guests to bid on the go.”

Customers will receive an email invitation to bid for a one-cabin upgrade seven days prior to their flight or they can visit etihad.com to join directly.

The auction will take place from 24 to six hours before their flight’s departure. Once the auction closes, the successful winner will be notified immediately.

Bidding guests are encouraged to still check-in online up to 48 hours prior to departure as the optimised system will still process their upgrade. If an upgrade offer is accepted, a new boarding pass will automatically be available on the Etihad Airways Mobile App or one will be provided at check-in.

Future enhancements will enable Etihad Guest members to use their miles to bid for an upgrade.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 6:31 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Another way to increase ticket prices
Old Jul 22, 2018, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum
Not sure it will be a direct correlation but at least this "enhancement" is optional for a change. May encourage some travellers to not opt for the absolute basic fares (T, E & Z) so a cash upgrade punt is an option. I know that's my normal strategy (U, V & W) so I can use my miles to upgrade, as this is the most effective use of miles IMO.

Interested to see if a miles live bid upgrade minimum will be lower than the published amount on the website - somehow I doubt it

My current strategy for bids is just above the minimum. If I get it great, if not I'm still on the flight!

Originally Posted by NoY
Another way to increase ticket prices
Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:12 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Skyteam Elite Plus, StarAlliance Silver
Hi everyone, I just booked a flight FCO - AUH - BKK in economy class.
I wish to upgrade to Business class with the bid for upgrade option. Those are the minimum price
FCO - AUH and AUH - FCO: 630$
AUH - BKK and BKK - AUH: 530$
The price of both segments in economy is: 350$
The price of both segments in business is: 1500$
630+530+350=1500.I really don't understand why I should place a bid. If they are really on bankrupt, they should review this insane policy.
I don't understand if it's a "live" bid.
Other companies I tried asked for around 350-400$ for a bid to Business class in an 10-12 hours flight (and not a 5 hours flight)
Old Aug 6, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by asia15
Hi everyone, I just booked a flight FCO - AUH - BKK in economy class.
I wish to upgrade to Business class with the bid for upgrade option. Those are the minimum price
FCO - AUH and AUH - FCO: 630$
AUH - BKK and BKK - AUH: 530$
The price of both segments in economy is: 350$
The price of both segments in business is: 1500$
630+530+350=1500.I really don't understand why I should place a bid. If they are really on bankrupt, they should review this insane policy.
I don't understand if it's a "live" bid.
Other companies I tried asked for around 350-400$ for a bid to Business class in an 10-12 hours flight (and not a 5 hours flight)
Welcome to the world of EY. Don't expect logic to play any part in their operations and you'll be fine!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.