Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Redemption on Bangkok Airways

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2020, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Dpetryszyn
I just made an award booking and it took about 20 minutes from start to finish.

A good tool to use to check availability is the JAL award search. If you sign up for a free JAL frequent flyer account, you will be able to search award availability on any partner airline (including PG). The inventory etihad was able to see matched what I saw on JAL.

This allowed me to monitor award space without calling into Etihad until I found what I was looking for.

Thank you so much for sharing about JAL award search. However, I have spent the past hour and seem to be going in circles. I created a JAL account but I can't seem to figure out how to search for award flights. Can you provide a bit more detail on how to search?

Thanks!

EDIT: Never mind. I think I finally figured it out that you have to choose Japan!

Last edited by DFW1972; May 3, 2020 at 6:07 pm Reason: Figured it out.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 12:38 am

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Been trying to book a Bangkok Airways flight off and on for a few weeks now using Etihad points. I was in Ko Phangnan, and was able to see flights on JAL but Etihad couldn't find them. Now I'm in Samui and trying to book a flight back to BKK.

Its hard to make plans these days in advance, so I wasn't able to get a ticket. I checked JAL, it looks like there is availability a week in advance, and then under 6 days it disappears. There is lots of availability from 1-2 weeks out. I could not plan that far ahead so I never called Etihad.

I was resigned to trying the ferry-train trip or the 4 hour journey to the mainland for the flight (2 hr ferry and 2 hrs to be there early in case of a problem).

Instead I hopped on the Chase Ultimate Rewards site and was able to book the Bangkok Airways USM-BKK flight there for $105 with 8500 points @ 1.25CPP (I have Ink Preferred). Flights if you book in advance start at $70, so you can get them for 5000UR if you book in advance. UR also gives you 24 hours to cancel which is nice, In case plans change or a better flight pops up (although with Bangkok Airways, the prices only go up as you get closer).

The 5000 point Etihad redemption would be better (via MR points), but considering the hassle I think I'll just book using UR going forward. Asian budget airlines don't usually show up with UR, so it's nice to be able to use points over here.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 4:39 am

Well after checking again on JAL website and seeing lots of flights open, I called in and was able to get a USM-BKK ticket. Took 30 mins on the phone but was otherwise painless.

They needed to "fill-in " the booking to ensure the ticket was there, so doesn't seem like they can just tell you what flights are available. Come prepared with flights first from Google Flights or JAL (though from my previous experience I wouldn't necessarily trust JAL).

Price was 5000+300B. Transfered AMEX MR instantly from my account after they had done the "fill-in" booking check.

BKK-USM is 100B tax. Flights were selling for $105 on Google Flights (and via Ultimate Rewards).
Old Oct 21, 2022, 2:16 pm

Programs: HH + IHG DIA
Does somebody know whether it is still possible to redeem Etihad Guest Miles for flights with Bangkok Airways? Are there any recent experiences?

I called the Etihad Guest Service line and ended up in a call center in Serbia as reportet before. However, the agent was not familiar with PG and said that she cannot book awards with them. She also checked (the English) Etihad Guest's website and PG is not listed on the spending miles section. In contrast, on their UAE website, PG is still listed. She double checked with her colleagues twice but it did not change her point of view.

My goal is to book a return BKK-USM for two persons. JAL website shows plenty of award availibilty, even 2 business seats when only 2 are sold which makes me wonder...

As I am relatively new to Flyertalk, I cannot add the URLs to the respective webpages.

Thanks!
Old Oct 21, 2022, 2:16 pm

Now I reached 5 posts.

Here is the English website where PG is not listed.
https://www.etihadguest.com/en/spend-miles/flying.html

And if I change the language to Arabian, PG is listed.
https://www.etihadguest.com/ar/spend-miles/flying.html

Update:
It looks like the ability to redeem miles on PG was discontinued. The Arabian webpage still lists Alitalia which shows that it has not been properly maintained for a while. I have now inquired by email to get a statement from Etihad and will keep you updated.

Last edited by SlowTraveler123; Oct 22, 2022 at 1:51 am Reason: URLs did not work
Old Oct 24, 2022, 7:20 am

Still no reply from Etihad Guest. Has no one tried a redemption on PG recently? I am running out of time. Not sure whether it is worth to pay 200 Euro for the flights to spend 6 nights on Koh Samui or just drive to Hua Hin from Bangkok. Any recommendations?
Old Oct 24, 2022, 7:28 am

If the Serbian call center can't book PG, forget about it. I'd give them another call or two to confirm though.

Definitely Koh Samui but to each their own.
SlowTraveler123 likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 12:39 am

Programs: BA GGL
Samui's definitely nicer than Hua Hin imo, but I prefer Koh Tao overall. If you're struggling to justify the cost, you also have Chumphon or Surat Thani airports, then a transfer and ferry to the islands, which is a bit more of an adventure, if you have the time.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 12:58 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I've never managed to make a PG award booking with EY or EK. In the end, I have always paid. J can be exorbitant, but that's what happens when there's a monopoly.

I have always look at Hua Hin, specifically The Barai, but I do not consider three hours in a vehicle each way as how I want to spend a vacation.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 12:55 am

Bangkok Airways looks to be a partner with Qatar that you can now book reasonably with their Avios. Its 6500 but that can be a good deal for Samui. Sorry for the bait and switch post but this has been a helpful thread to me, so i wanted to let folks know there is a new option. i suspect most of us were xfering MR from Amex anyway.
liw5215 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 7:04 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by ryandelmundo
i suspect most of us were xfering MR from Amex anyway.
Amex MR points transfer to BA, BA points transfer to Qatar 1-1. So it is still possible for those looking to use Amex MR.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by islandguy84
Amex MR points transfer to BA, BA points transfer to Qatar 1-1. So it is still possible for those looking to use Amex MR.
Agreed. I meant previously we were sending MR to Etihad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.