Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Etihad cost cutting

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2017, 10:54 am

Currently in the lounge at JFK. Per bloggers online I was expecting signature cocktails by various countries, bartender says that has been removed. For the a la carte menu. It is slim pickings. Just five items. No appetizer selection no desert. The food from Buffett also limited. Very disappointed pointed beginning for my apartment experience.
​​​​​​Having experienced lounges from sq jl cx ek etc i am not that impressed w the lounge. More extremely disappointed.
Old May 20, 2017, 12:38 pm

Did Amsterdam on EY77 during the week in Y. No more menus and the "meal" was, quite frankly, disgusting. Is it me or has the tray itself gotten even smaller?

Took the KLM codeshare back to AUH, also in Y, and I have to say measurably better in all areas.
Old May 20, 2017, 9:08 pm

Programs: Etihad Platinum. Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I flew Kuwait AUH recently. They offer menus in J class. I chose the fish - I think it was hamour. It was the worst piece of fish I have ever eaten. It even looked suspicious. I took one bite and left the rest. It was dire.
Old May 20, 2017, 9:53 pm

Totally agree

I fly out of AUH on an almost weekly basis and I must say I am growing more disappointed with EY. I think I will fly more out of terminal 1 in the future. I feel as if EY is slowly becoming a budget airline, and their customer service is quite terrible.

This morning at AUH, EY staff were holding up the queue entering migrations/security to weigh every single piece of carry on. Carry-on luggage was being rejected for being less than 1kg over the 7kg limit. That was my first interaction with EY this morning.
Old May 21, 2017, 1:02 am

Programs: EK Blue, EY Guest, AA, QR
Originally Posted by thesofine
I fly out of AUH on an almost weekly basis and I must say I am growing more disappointed with EY. I think I will fly more out of terminal 1 in the future. I feel as if EY is slowly becoming a budget airline, and their customer service is quite terrible.

This morning at AUH, EY staff were holding up the queue entering migrations/security to weigh every single piece of carry on. Carry-on luggage was being rejected for being less than 1kg over the 7kg limit. That was my first interaction with EY this morning.
Does anyone know why the Gulf airlines are so draconian over carry-ons?

Is it just all about money, money and money ?
Old May 21, 2017, 5:23 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
I used the new lounge and was less than impressed with the food (mind you that is a common issue at Bangkok in most lounges) and there was a shortage of reading material to waste the time away. The Bamboo garden is however a nice touch
Old May 21, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: Etihad Platinum. Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by amnicoll
I used the new lounge and was less than impressed with the food (mind you that is a common issue at Bangkok in most lounges) and there was a shortage of reading material to waste the time away. The Bamboo garden is however a nice touch
Which new lounge in BKK? The Miracle lounge that was previously known as the Louis Tavern lounge?
Old May 21, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: Etihad Platinum, Alitalia FRECCIA ALATA
Etihad made bad decisions but we the customers have to pay for them. I run a business and in tough times I would offer customers MORE rather than LESS.

​​​​​​
Old May 21, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by a310pilot
Etihad made bad decisions but we the customers have to pay for them. I run a business and in tough times I would offer customers MORE rather than LESS.

​​​​​​
It really feels like they've been told to be profitable this year or they'll be shut down !

Practically no premium flight deals coming out, no mileage bonuses and I think that their prices (Brexit corrected for the pound) have actually gone up quite a bit. All this whilst they're losing passengers who are flying direct thanks to cheap fuel !

#Confused and mildly irritated
Old May 21, 2017, 3:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Etihad Gold, Emirates Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum

​​​​​​
Totally agree. You're not going to gain more customers by cutting costs, and when you're not even operating at 100% capacity, you're better off filling those empty seats than saving pennies and having even more empty seats.

Whoever is making these decisions doesn't seem to have run many businesses before.
Old May 21, 2017, 10:57 pm

Programs: EK Blue, EY Guest, AA, QR

​​​​​​
That is not how quite a few businesses in that part of the world think ... and that includes retail stores, service providers, car rentals etc. ...

When times are tough, they raise prices, because, well, times are tough, so they need more money (!)

The thinking is ultra short term; as in "I would rather have 100$ in my pocket today by making life tough for the customer, than 500$ in repeat business over the next few months"
Old May 22, 2017, 12:46 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EY Gold, AY Silver, MR Plat
Originally Posted by LonghornDXB
Does anyone know why the Gulf airlines are so draconian over carry-ons?
Are EY now getting strict about carry on luggage? I have been using EY regularly for the last 10 years and have never had my hand luggage weighed or checked prior to boarding.
Old May 22, 2017, 12:53 am

I've grabbed some bargains even after EY's rates were increasing. But they didn't promote them. I recommend to use a flight rate tracker with an alert for EY flights.

On my last EY flights this year they've started to change my seat reservations. April to June I had 20 legs on EY. Being a creature of habit, I made reservations for the same seat on all flights. Now they've changed my seat reservation for 5 legs already. Strange.

Actually I'm happy that I have no EY flights in the second half of this year anymore. I think, in 2018 I will not try to requalify for Platinum again.
Old May 22, 2017, 12:58 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EY Gold, AY Silver, MR Plat
Originally Posted by thbe

On my last EY flights this year they've started to change my seat reservations. April to June I had 20 legs on EY. Being a creature of habit, I made reservations for the same seat on all flights. Now they've changed my seat reservation for 5 legs already. Strange.

This has happened to me many times on MAN-AUH or AUH-MAN. When I looked into it in more detail, I found that it was down to a change in aircraft type. ie 777 to A330 or 787
Old May 22, 2017, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by eddibabyyeah
This has happened to me many times on MAN-AUH or AUH-MAN. When I looked into it in more detail, I found that it was down to a change in aircraft type. ie 777 to A330 or 787
Yes. It's the same aircraft type, but another version with different seating.

And they don't take much care about the reseating. They've changed i.e. from 9A to 14A, even if 10A, 6K, 8K and 10K are still available.

No big deal, of course, compared to the cost cutting actions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.