Etihad cost cutting

Old May 7, 17, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QR Gold, SQ Gold, MH Gold, Hertz Gold
Etihad cost cutting

Currently flying DUB - AUH in Y. My next segment will be in C so will comment on that then.

Have to say very disappointed by the small (but significant) changes apparent even on this trip:

- Relocation to Terminal 1 in Dublin. The entire check in experience is unpleasurable. T2 was purpose built for international flights and the building is new and slick. Comfy seats while waiting. T1 is seriously in need of an upgrade. When I asked check in why the move, there was some humming and hawing but one person admitted it was due to cost savings.

- Check in - watched a Y customer being turned away because her suitcase was 1 kg over the 22kg limit. The flight is empty!

- Etihad lounge. Have always considered this one of the best lounges I've ever experienced. It's still pretty amazing - the lounge staff are top notch. Buffet seems to have been reduced significantly (no more warm cookies or interesting spread - very limited choice). Small things like no butter available unless you ask. A la carte food menu has also been reduced - and the quality of the offerings aren't that great. I had a disappointing macaroni and cheese which may have had less than a teaspoon of cheese in the entire bowl. Lemon posset was superb though.

- Onboard. Early boarding and take off because so few customers. Unsure if the subsequent service was because of the lack of guests. No menus offered. Plane looks and feels a bit old (old livery). No kit offered except for socks with the headphones. Staff are lovely. Cabin manager came and introduced herself. I remember the days when EY had a separate dessert service for Y passengers - it was a nice touch.. Now, plasticky dessert on the tray. Raw onions, tomato and corn for starter, one roll, butter, main and dessert. When they did the warm drinks service, no hot chocolate. Crew went up to C and got one for me which was wonderful.

Anyone else experiencing the same kind of small cut backs that change the experience for you?
Old May 7, 17, 11:57 pm

Programs: EK Blue, EY Guest, AA, QR
I don't know what the corporate term for it will be , but there is a certain form of cost cutting that reflects your experience.
Go after visible, small ticket items, where the cost savings are miniscule.

But at the end of the quarter, the bean counters will make a nice powerpoint presentation on how cutting hot chocolate saved money....
No one will point out how many passengers will go elsewhere...

And of course as we saw in the thread of another ME airline, there are plenty of airline cheerleaders who tell unhappy passengers : "you are just one passenger, do you really think they care if you take your business elsewhere?"

As for the weight matter, my last experience was so bad, where I ended up paying more than 200$ because my laptop case was weighed along with my carry on (forcing me to check my carry on) because both came up to 10 kg, carry on being 7 kg only...
that I am choosing the BA/AA combo for a couple of multi itinerary trips over the summer to the US
Old May 8, 17, 1:53 am

There are many big and medium cut backs. Hard to look for the small ones only. They don't offer Perrier and Coke Zero in their lounges at AUH anymore. Is that small?

Before they did all to increase the revenue without caring about the costs.

Now they do all to decrease the costs without caring about the revenue.
Old May 8, 17, 8:37 am

On my last return flight to manila from lhr i didnt have one meal menu in Y,just the flight attendant offering the choice when got to me
Old May 8, 17, 10:14 am

Programs: HH - Diamond, EY Gold, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by gmoule View Post
On my last return flight to manila from lhr i didnt have one meal menu in Y,just the flight attendant offering the choice when got to me
Yes. This now appears to be normal in Y. I feel sorry for the staff, as they have to explain the meal choices to all passengers. This can be very difficult for all concerned due to noise in the cabin and language issues. This therefore makes the meal service much slower than it used to be.
Old May 9, 17, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Gold, SQ Gold, MH Gold, Hertz Gold
It's disappointing and these small cost cutting mechanisms are what made Etihad stand out - these points of difference all added up to a subtle positive experience that made me choose Etihad over any other. I'm seriously considering relocating my allegiances now - especially after my C experience AUH-KUL.

As you say - the bean counters can cheer that they've saved X amount of dollars from no more hit chocolate - but the flight I was on DUB-AUH was the emptiest I've ever seen. That's like a middle manager celebrating that they're making higher margins on products but not realising that the bottom line is losing out.

And yes - staff across the board seem to be worried and under pressure and embarrassed. The service is brilliant but it's strained - and you can tell they're frustrated. What a shame. I am seriously brand loyal but I'm not impressed.
Old May 9, 17, 2:16 pm

And QR is attacking with low fares...
Old May 11, 17, 7:12 am

Programs: Etihad Platinum. Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
This speaks for itself and I imagine is the same at other EY lounges in their network. One flight a day to Washington = EY lounge. One flight a day to Los Angeles =EY lounge. Four flights a day to Bangkok and the contract lounge EY uses is a joke!

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...-cost-cutting/
Old May 11, 17, 8:39 am
NoY

Programs: BA Emerald, TP *A Gold, EY Gold, QR bye bye, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sabdhabi View Post
This speaks for itself and I imagine is the same at other EY lounges in their network. One flight a day to Washington = EY lounge. One flight a day to Los Angeles =EY lounge. Four flights a day to Bangkok and the contract lounge EY uses is a joke!

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...-cost-cutting/
Do bear in mind, especially at BKK, its not just EY’s decision on whether they build there own lounge, it’s the airport operator/costs/politics etc etc. In BKK’s instance, AOT, the airports owner/operator, is not exactly user-friendly @:-)
Old May 11, 17, 2:01 pm

Programs: HH - Diamond, EY Gold, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by NoY View Post
Do bear in mind, especially at BKK, its not just EYs decision on whether they build there own lounge, its the airport operator/costs/politics etc etc. In BKKs instance, AOT, the airports owner/operator, is not exactly user-friendly @:-)
I understand that AOT may be difficult to deal with. But, BKK has been Etihad's most popular destination for the best part of a decade. I would have thought there would have been an opening at some point in the last ten years in Suvarnabhumi.
Old May 12, 17, 3:19 am

Programs: Etihad Platinum. Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Oman Air were able to get their own lounge, and Qatar's lounge in BKK is currently being renovated and expanded from what I hear.
Old May 12, 17, 4:41 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWS (Plat Pro), EY Silver (compted), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sabdhabi View Post
Oman Air were able to get their own lounge, and Qatar's lounge in BKK is currently being renovated and expanded from what I hear.
Agree - space at BKK airport is available. EK vacated its lounge (moved to the former QF lounge), the smaller ex-CX lounge space is also available. SQ moved to a new lounge vacating its former lounge.
Old May 12, 17, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by eddibabyyeah View Post
I understand that AOT may be difficult to deal with. But, BKK has been Etihad's most popular destination for the best part of a decade. I would have thought there would have been an opening at some point in the last ten years in Suvarnabhumi.
When EY changed the lounge access from TG to CIP/Miracle, I've got told, that this is an interim solution and that EY had plans to open an own premium lounge at BKK. But I think, after all the cost cutting that these plans are history.
Old May 16, 17, 12:28 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWS (Plat Pro), EY Silver (compted), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by thbe View Post
When EY changed the lounge access from TG to CIP/Miracle, I've got told, that this is an interim solution and that EY had plans to open an own premium lounge at BKK. But I think, after all the cost cutting that these plans are history.
BTW - there is a new Miracle lounge located next to a new SQ lounge - looking from the outside it is a very nice facility. But I am not sure if EY sends its passengers tp this particular one.
Old May 16, 17, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by TPJ View Post
BTW - there is a new Miracle lounge located next to a new SQ lounge - looking from the outside it is a very nice facility. But I am not sure if EY sends its passengers tp this particular one.
The best (and newest) Miracle lounge is located between D6 and D7. At the check-in you get a voucher for the business or the first lounge. With the business lounge voucher you can access every Miracle business lounge and with the first class voucher you can access every Miracle lounge. EY usually sends its passengers to the lounge, which is next to the departure gate of their flight.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: