Wiki Posts
Search

One-way ticket to return upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Hey,

When booking a ticket I wasn't sure yet of when I will return so I booked one-way ticket only.

This turned to be dumb mistake because return ticket costs $2000 and one-way $1300 (to destination) and $1700 (from destination). Whichs makes a $1000 difference.

I am not an experianced traveller so I am wondering if it's possible to upgrade one-way to return ticket? Currently I have "to destination" ticket only.

Thanks
Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:39 pm

Programs: none
Difficult to help because we don't know airline, route, date of travel, class/status, etc.

But, in general, you can always cancel the one-way ticket (and pay the necessary change fees), then re-book the trip as a round trip. Apply whatever refund you get towards the new ticket.

Other choice is to buy a second one way ticket for your return. Which ever one costs less.

Or, just call the airline, plead your case and see what they will do for you.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

International flight, Etihad, Business class.

Thanks
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:10 pm

Ask a mod to relocate your thread to the Etihad sub forum.

Add your fare class (within Business), and route, and you might have a better chance of a knowledgeable reply.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:40 pm

Call airline or travel agent and ask how much it would cost to change your existing ticket to the new ticket. Some fares say no changes whatsoever but most allow changes for a fee (which is commonly less than $1000). On many airlines the reason one ways are more expensive is because they are flexible so you may be pleasantly surprised, though the prices don't sound like full flex to me.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 6:29 pm

This is pretty standard. You'll need to cancel and refund the ticket, then book the return you want. But if you've already flown that one way, that's it it's gone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.