I actually did it :(

Old Aug 7, 2008, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
I actually did it :(

I am actually quite sad about it, but just purchased about $15,000 of travel on Qatar Airways instead of Emirates (EK was a little cheaper too ) for the upcoming year.

For those who were following my experience, EK still did not respond to my letter about the STPC disaster

I have high expectations from QR - haven't flown then in a while, so I'm quite excited

Cheers,
Old Aug 7, 2008, 9:47 am

Urm, shouldn't you be posting this in the QR forum :P
Old Aug 7, 2008, 9:55 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
If you ask me, i would never go for QR or EY. They have the worst service for my liking, EY the gud aircraft but they donot provide a limo service on destination where i travel often. Further more EK's FFP is a lot better then EY's or QR's FFP.

EK has at times not lived up to my expectation but EY and QR have not even reach my expectation. Anyhow that my point, gud luck with QR.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 3:31 pm

Programs: Delta DM, *A Plat
Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
I am actually quite sad about it, but just purchased about $15,000 of travel on Qatar Airways instead of Emirates (EK was a little cheaper too ) for the upcoming year.
Hope you find the grass really is greener over there...
Old Aug 7, 2008, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HedgeFundFlyer
Hope you find the grass really is greener over there...
it can't be any browner....

Cheers,
Old Aug 7, 2008, 9:42 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Qantas FF
Here's a comparison between EY & EK by Mr Hawi or Ronerone

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...ad.main/122389
Old Aug 7, 2008, 11:15 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I can understand the decision and think that 'voting with your feet' is the only way to show EK that they lost their godwill with you. Yes they likely will not care but hey at least you are not making them grow any fatter.

As far as EK vs. QR is concerned I can't really comment too much as my experience on both carriers is limited. However, everytime I took EK in C or Y in thelast years I was "underwhelmed" to say it diplomatically. Tight cabins, too many equipment / seat versions around, highly varying ground staff experiences (usually from okay to bad) and DXB having become more like a zoo then an efficently working airport. Add the lost price advantage of the old (okay very old) days and the annoying midnight stops on flights to / from Europe to SE Asia and it is not for me.

However, it surely will work for others and in the end one can find people who had many great experiences with carrier A and bad ones with carrier B and vice versa. So in the end I think we should take our money where we feel we get the best value / experience. If it is EK, QR, EY or the likes of SQ, TG, LH, CX etc doesn't really matter. Our only chance really to make an impact on a personal level. Just my 2 cents

Cheers ...
Old Aug 12, 2008, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by demue
I can understand the decision and think that 'voting with your feet' is the only way to show EK that they lost their godwill with you. Yes they likely will not care but hey at least you are not making them grow any fatter.

Cheers ...
Rather than tell us about it, you should write to EK with proof of purchase on the other airline!
Old Aug 12, 2008, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Rather than tell us about it, you should write to EK with proof of purchase on the other airline!
Good idea! I will do that myself after having booked more flights with EY.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 5:44 am

Programs: EK Gold, , FB Gold, Jet Platinum, ICH Royal Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Platinum
Sad to see you go, hope you will still continue contributing to the EK forum. You have made some good contributions in the short time i have been a FTer. There was no point in me changing from EK to EY but now that EK have incresaed the fares to the levels they have I am giving EY a go. EK Ł2400 - EY Ł1800 there is no contest really. I do not belive that EK give their customer an extra Ł600 worth of benefits.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Already written to EK showing tickets purchased on QR (in my case) and PK (, I know) in my mother's case - in total I have been able to get 9 people to switch from EK to other airlines as well as a (quite large) corporation here in Karachi.

Most of these people love EK because of their frequency to/from KHI but many were willing to 'try' another airline for their next trip as a comparison if nothing else. ^

FWIW, I will still hang around on the EK forum a lot - I love the atmosphere here; compared to other forums, everyone seems much friendlier and I feel that this forum is much more laid back / has less drama than other forums.

Cheers,
Old Aug 12, 2008, 6:58 am

sh, have u had a chance to read my pm?
Old Aug 12, 2008, 7:03 am

Hey. Let us know how you find QR.

I avoid EK after the glory days which seemed to end around 2001 when I left Dubai. I tried QR but had to quit quickly because of the sh*t plane they use from BKK. I was going to try EY from BKK to Europe because I've heard amazing things about their Pearl class, which is also about 30% cheaper than most other 'real' airlines.

^

update: EK-flyer - your trip report was AWESOME, and has made me decide to try EY on my BKK-GVA trips, which I'll have to make monthly for the foreseeable future. Great report!

Last edited by moocherx; Aug 12, 2008 at 7:20 am
Old Aug 12, 2008, 7:19 am

Programs: Skywards, Qmiles, Miles&More, Enrich
Originally Posted by Gorilaz
I do not belive that EK give their customer an extra Ł600 worth of benefits.
Funny thing is EK used to be the 'cheaper' airlines from SEA to MEA & Europe which was why I started flying with them 3 yrs ago. My J class flight cost on average USD2500 before but now it's USD4000!! I won't be surprised if my company will instruct me to fly with another airlines e.g EY or QR (unless they start charging more). I'll still be in J class, so no worries

Bottom line is the dollar that will decide for the majority of us. But for you directors, VIPs, trust fund babies, you can still choose who you fly with
Old Aug 12, 2008, 7:49 am

For a second I thought you paid $2500 from SEA (Seattle) to the middle east

EK increased their one way fares by almost %100 ex- KUL and MNL a couple of months ago. I have no idea why, given the increase in the return fare was not as high.

Go figure their revenue model!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.