Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates Economy Seat Selection (solo traveller)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2024, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Hi,
I'm due to travel solo to Brisbane in a few weeks (changing over in Dubai) with Emirates.

I'm flying economy and my first time flying alone so really in the deep end!

Has anybody done this solo and can recommend the best seats in economy? Boeing 777-300ER is the majority airline, it's only A380-800 coming back to Dubai.

Any help or info will be appreciated thank you ☺️
Old Apr 30, 2024, 12:22 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
If you are happy to sit at the very back (which will mean you are last off and may impact your immigration wait time), the 777s normally have two or three rows at the very back in 2-4-2 set up rather than 3-4-3. The banks of two on either side are slightly preferable in my opinion. I would avoid the very last row though in case the seats don't recline.

Transfer security in DXB is pretty good and coming from US you may not even have to pass through it so sitting at the back will only potentially delay you in Australia.

I suppose there is also the risk the meal selection may be more limited sitting right at the back.

On the plus side you are more likely to get a free seat next to you sitting right at the back.
BobbiAnne likes this.
Old May 1, 2024, 1:57 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, BonVoy Platinum, BW Diamond, RR Premium
I almost always fly solo, so I am quite accustomed to this. I have done long haul (10.5 hours DFW-GRU) in economy. I paid the upgrade fee on the way back! If you are able to sleep, it helps. I take medicine as soon as wheels are up sometimes (do wait to take off shoes and take meds, just in case you have to get off due to weather/mechanics. Emirates is a good choice for long haul economy (I always suggest uprgrading if you can; I am unfamiliar with Emirates' policies). I cannot handle the long haul economy now (my back), but the trick to all of it is making the environment comfortable for you.

Download music or TV you like on a device that does not require internet--just in case. Bring a book, a magazine, etc. I like to watch TV in bed at night (I would download thrillers and mysteries--the things you become engrossed in but are not so serious you think too hard). Then I slip my headphones in, lean to the side with a good pillow and blanket (Emirates probably provides this--here in the States, you bring your own for US carriers sometimes).

I prefer windows when I need to rest because you can lean into it with a pillow. Aisles, not so much, plus people always walking by, etc. Your seatmates know you will need to get up for the toilet at some point. I try to time this when the middle or aisle gets up if I can, so as to cause less disturbance. Drink (but not alcohol if you don't know how it affects you in the air). Keep hydrated. Long haul can dry you out. I avoid any spicy foods on long flights. Who wants heartburn at 40K!

You will find myriad travel articles and tips (likely too many), but the key is to plan for as much as you can to do. Dress very comfortably or bring something like track/sweatpants and a large t-shirt Being comfortable is a must. It also helps when you can change before landing. T that end, baby wipes can help you feel more alive if you don't have lounge access.

Prepare for what you need.
Always be respectful to other passengers who are also trying to survive hours in the back of the plane.
Sleep as much of it as possible!

Enjoy!
Old May 6, 2024, 7:12 am

Programs: EK Gold
Originally Posted by BobbiAnne
Hi,
I'm due to travel solo to Brisbane in a few weeks (changing over in Dubai) with Emirates.

I'm flying economy and my first time flying alone so really in the deep end!

Has anybody done this solo and can recommend the best seats in economy? Boeing 777-300ER is the majority airline, it's only A380-800 coming back to Dubai.

Any help or info will be appreciated thank you ☺️
When Im travelling for leisure in Economy I always try to select an aisle seat of the middle 4, ideally where the aisle the opposite side of the 4 is taken with the 2 middle seats empty, if the flight is not full then there is a good chance you will have an empty seat next to you. Worst case the flight is full you only have 1 person to disturb you getting out. Personally I hate having to climb over people to get out and I try to minimise the number climbing over me.

My personal choice is as near the front as possible for a couple of reasons, food choice and generally ease of getting off (particularly 380).
Old May 6, 2024, 7:49 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mas66
My personal choice is as near the front as possible for a couple of reasons, food choice and generally ease of getting off (particularly 380).
As a frequent ULH A380 flyer in Y (DXB - JFK) for several years in the past, starting 2008, I prefer to sit in the first mini-cabin. Benefits include quick access to the loos up front (5), first to get off the plane and clear the immigration line, easier access to the galleys in case you need something mid flight, and a lot more area (galleys and behind row 50) to walk and stretch yourself mid-flight.

I almost always prefer aisle seats on ULH flights, and on the A380 it is the aisle seats of the middle 4 seater for me. My reason (apart from the fact that there is only 1 person who needs to cross over) is the way the 'foot spaces' are arranged on the A380 due to the placement of the seat supports. So the 2 aisles seats in the 4 seater on the A380 get their individual spaces and so do 2 the window seats. The rest (middle 2 on the 4 seater and aisle + middle on the 3 seater) have to either be nice and 'share' the space or play 'footsie'.
thijsseh and mas66 like this.
Old May 6, 2024, 9:13 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Pick a Window where the aisle is taken and middle is empty, in the rear half of the aircraft for a better chance the middle stays empty, alternatively if you prefer an aisle pick an aisle in the center block of 4 seats (only one pax to cross you vs 2 at the window side), again towards the back half where the opposite centre aisle is taken to elevate chances of empty adjacent seats

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.