Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts on United Partnership?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2022, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Thoughts on United Partnership?

I am curious on what People's thoughts are on the upcoming United partnership to be detailed on Sept 14? Other than code share and miles earnings, what else will there be? Award bookings between the two? Emirates joining star alliance?
Old Sep 7, 2022, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat *G/DL Plat/Marriott Ti/WoH Glob
Originally Posted by ckaught78
I am curious on what People's thoughts are on the upcoming United partnership to be detailed on Sept 14? Other than code share and miles earnings, what else will there be? Award bookings between the two? Emirates joining star alliance?
i suspect award redemptions, but maybe no access to F awards for those redeeming UA miles and a (likely) diluted form of reciprocal elite benefits (e.g., lounge access for gold+ level elites). My guess is the partnership would be patterned on the QF-EK bilateral arrangement.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ckaught78
From https://www.wheretocredit.com/ek EK has ff arrangements
  • COPA Airlines (Star Alliance)
  • Gol Transportes Aéreos,
  • Japan Airlines, (Oneworld Alliance)
  • Jetblue Airways
  • Korean Air (Skyteam Alliance)
  • Malaysia Airlines (Oneworld Alliance)
  • Qantas Airways (Oneworld Alliance)
  • S7 Airlines (Oneworld Alliance)
  • South African Airways (Star Alliance)
  • TAP Portugal (Star Alliance)

Oneworld Alliance = 4
Star Alliance = 3
Skyteam = 1

Do not over think this. Not that unusual.
EK-QF was close, but less so now that QF does not fly to EU via DXB. QF has reverted back to SIN.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

scratch jet blue after October
Old Sep 9, 2022, 6:53 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
From https://www.wheretocredit.com/ek EK has ff arrangements
  • COPA Airlines (Star Alliance)
  • Gol Transportes Aéreos,
  • Japan Airlines, (Oneworld Alliance)
  • Jetblue Airways
  • Korean Air (Skyteam Alliance)
  • Malaysia Airlines (Oneworld Alliance)
  • Qantas Airways (Oneworld Alliance)
  • S7 Airlines (Oneworld Alliance)
  • South African Airways (Star Alliance)
  • TAP Portugal (Star Alliance)

Oneworld Alliance = 4
Star Alliance = 3
Skyteam = 1
Emirates is launching codeshares with Air Canada and Aegean as well, so that would move the *A total up to 6.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 12:18 am
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Generally, EK do work out the details fairly well so I am curious to see what's announced this week and how it pans out.

Personally I'd like to see a second daily at SFO (similar to the old EK218 night departure out of LAX that arrived two calendar days later). I'd also like to see an A380 at ORD. Perhaps they'll surprise us with their plans for New York, but I suspect it might not matter given the breadth of coverage possible at IAD, ORD, and IAH.

EK could use more West Coast coverage, so I am very curious about how things will play out here at SFO We could certainly use more connecting traffic here!

European hubs still have some issues dealing with transfer passengers and especially their luggage, so hopefully EK is able to provide a better passenger experience this winter at DXB compared to transiting through Europe.

Last edited by Xlr; Sep 11, 2022 at 12:36 am
Old Sep 11, 2022, 9:50 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
I am hoping it will be a positive change just in terms of reaching secondary US cities given how much bigger UA is than B6. Currently based on PIT so the only option on a single EK-issued ticket is PIT-BOS-DXB with long layovers in Boston both ways and so we have been driving to IAD if we want to fly EK or using QR/EY that allow AA on the domestic segment. Allowing domestic flights on UA would open up PIT-IAD/EWR/ORD/IAH/SFO-DXB as options.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 9:02 am

Programs: EK Gold, QR Gold, WY Gold, Delta Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
I am hoping it will be a positive change just in terms of reaching secondary US cities given how much bigger UA is than B6. Currently based on PIT so the only option on a single EK-issued ticket is PIT-BOS-DXB with long layovers in Boston both ways and so we have been driving to IAD if we want to fly EK or using QR/EY that allow AA on the domestic segment. Allowing domestic flights on UA would open up PIT-IAD/EWR/ORD/IAH/SFO-DXB as options.
Agreed. All these days, AA-QR or BA or LH was the only life saver for those flying from secondary US cities. It was always a pain for the get-around to get onboard on the international flight out of the States lol.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 5:54 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Using UA's terminal and not having to fly out of Terminal 5 at ORD would be amazing. It's such a dump and the (swissport) lounge is probably the worst in the network!
Old Sep 14, 2022, 7:51 am
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Would be nice if EK status grants access to United Clubs when flying UA domestically!
Old Sep 14, 2022, 1:26 pm

Programs: EK Gold, QR Gold, WY Gold, Delta Silver Medallion
  • As of November 2022, Emirates will start interlining with United at major US airports, meaning that customers will be able to book Emirates and United on a single ticket, making it easier to check-in and check bags, and giving Emirates customers access to 200+ destinations in the United States and beyond
  • As of March 2023, United will launch a daily Dubai-Newark flight, feeding into Emirates’ global network, with connection possibilities to 100+ destinations
  • The two airlines plan to codeshare, which would be a closer level of cooperation, though the details of that are limited as of now (this requires government approval)
  • There will be some reciprocal mileage opportunities, but they’ll be frustratingly limited — Emirates Skywards members will only be able to earn miles on United (and not redeem), while United MileagePlus members will only be able to earn and redeem miles when connecting to and from the Newark to Dubai route
  • Premium customers will receive reciprocal lounge access when connecting to or from flights between the USA and UAE

Pretty interesting imo. However, it's super weird to see the options to earn and redeem miles on UA/EK being super limited. Back when EK was in a partnership with B6, you could at least burn your Skywards miles for Mint. Guess that's no longer the case.

https://onemileatatime.com/news/emir...s-partnership/
Old Sep 14, 2022, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

will the united flight use T1 or T3?
Old Sep 14, 2022, 10:07 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by Xlr
Generally, EK do work out the details fairly well so I am curious to see what's announced this week and how it pans out.

Personally I'd like to see a second daily at SFO (similar to the old EK218 night departure out of LAX that arrived two calendar days later). I'd also like to see an A380 at ORD. Perhaps they'll surprise us with their plans for New York, but I suspect it might not matter given the breadth of coverage possible at IAD, ORD, and IAH.
I also would like to see an A380 at ORD, but I suspect that will not occur until ORD completes their overhaul (particularly the expanded T2) several years down the runway. I would settle for an 777 with new F until then. What might make some sense is EK is allowed departures out of ORD using T1 gate and giving EK premiums & elites access to Polaris lounge. But I suspect all is wishful thinking.
JTPictureman likes this.

Last edited by Brostman; Sep 14, 2022 at 10:10 pm Reason: spelling
Old Sep 14, 2022, 10:51 pm

Programs: EK Plat; QR Gold
Deleted.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 9:11 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by extramileage
Using UA's terminal and not having to fly out of Terminal 5 at ORD would be amazing. It's such a dump and the (swissport) lounge is probably the worst in the network!
My guess is that EK get the same "privileges" with UA that LH gets at ORD.... so yes, departures out of T1 and probably some reciprocity on lounges

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.