Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

EK Flights to Western US and Russian Airspace

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2022, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, Hyatt Globalist, and Marriott Titanium Member

All EK Flights to the West Coast of the US take the polar route, right? We've booked flights for next month from DXB to California, I'm concerned with current events Russia might close its airspace to everyone. I'm wondering if it's possible for EK to reroute around Russia, or if that would add too much time to the already long DXB flights to California. I'm considering rerouting our flights to the East Coast or maybe even Western Europe.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 12:21 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
I think it highly unlikely that Russia will close its airspace. The more likely thing is that many operators stop flying there and the FAA/CAA make recommendations that airlines should redirect for safety reasons.

You could route through Milan to New York with EK to avoid it altogether.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 12:35 pm

Such flights could easily take a slightly more westerly route through Eastern Europe (entering at Romania and heading north) just as the eastbound flights do. Could add a bit more time and fuel depending on the winds but not a massive amount to consider rerouting.

Much more at risk would be flights from Europe to NE Asia (Japan, Korea).
Old Feb 24, 2022, 11:21 pm

As it stands, the FAA has only banned certain overflights of Ukraine, Belarus, and Western Russia:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...te-2022-02-24/

Since EK carries JetBlue's codeshare on both SFO and LAX, I believe that the same restrictions will be upheld to EK, as they did back in 2019 when the FAA banned overflight of Iran:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/...r%20one%20year.

For now it has minimal impact on operations to the West Coast. But even if Russia overflights were outright banned, routings over Europe would still be practical. It will all depend on the winds of the day for the optimal routing.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 1:12 am
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
As things stand right now, it's only the western portion of Russia that has been restricted by the FAA.

That said, I do see right now EK216 (from LAX) flying east over the continental US and Maine, over the Atlantic, over England and France - avoiding Russian airspace entirely. So even if the entirety of Russian airspace is off limits, it's definitely possible to reroute around Russia.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
EK 216 usually avoids Russian airspace simply because tail winds are favorable across western europe.

EK 215 today from DXB to LAX did operate a polar route and through Russian airspace.
Metanoia likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 3:06 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Would the UAE have the balls to stop flights to and from Russia? It would be a massive loss of tourism so soon after Covid.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, Hyatt Globalist, and Marriott Titanium Member
The EU has closed its airspace to Russian flights, its inevitable that Russia will do the same. My concern is Russia will ban all flights including EK from its airspace. However, as someone pointed earlier I guess it wouldnt be impossible to just divert more west of Russia and Ukraine.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 8:03 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Would the UAE have the balls to stop flights to and from Russia? It would be a massive loss of tourism so soon after Covid.
I certainly hope they don't cancel flights unless there is a safety concern that can't be alleviated by re-routing.

Russians are scrambling to leave the country because of currency issues, and many of them choose Dubai because of the easy visa process. Additionally, foreign nationals living in Russia are being advised to leave, and they can get to their home country easily (no matter where) if they connect at Dubai.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 7:33 am
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
The update here is that FlyDubai has stopped flying to affected areas in Ukraine (obviously) and that S7 is not connecting to various locations with EK. So it looks like EK will continue flying to/from St Petersburg and Moscow for now.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 3:33 am
Krz

Programs: Skywards
https://www.reuters.com/business/aer...nt-2022-03-29/

Tim Clark was asked about it and it is clearly said that for now Emirates will fly to Russia. As long as UAE government will tell to stop it.
On the other hand Tim Clark said "We carry humanitarian goods in our holds. We've got NGOs traveling in and out of Russia. We've got the diplomatic community going in and out of Russia...so all we're doing is being an enabler, facilitator, without taking a political position on this for the time being." Speaking about humanitarian aid on flights to Russia is cheeky and insane. It would be something if Emirates open new cargo route to airport near Ukraine (in Poland, Romania, Slovakia), from where humanitarian aid is carried to Ukraine.
Russia do NOT send humanitarian aid to Ukraine, only bombs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.