LAX Qs

Old Sep 13, 21, 12:38 pm
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 35,736
LAX Qs

First time EK trip - connecting via LAX (on AS). And so, here goes with a few Qs.

It looks like the LAX lounge has reopened. Can someone please confirm? (And where is it?)

I assume I will need to see a real EK agent at some point for doc check verification (passport, PCR test results, etc.) no matter what AS has done or issued @ SFO. Correct?

Can this occur in the Lounge? (I wouldn't want to wait until the gate opens should there be any sort of issue).

I would like to avoid a landside adventure if possible. But if that is not possible, does EK F provide any sort of expedited or private-ish TSA security experience?

How likely is hand luggage to be weighed?

Thanks!
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Sep 14, 21, 4:51 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: DXB
Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Posts: 1,176
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
First time EK trip - connecting via LAX (on AS). And so, here goes with a few Qs.

It looks like the LAX lounge has reopened. Can someone please confirm? (And where is it?)

I assume I will need to see a real EK agent at some point for doc check verification (passport, PCR test results, etc.) no matter what AS has done or issued @ SFO. Correct?

Can this occur in the Lounge? (I wouldn't want to wait until the gate opens should there be any sort of issue).

I would like to avoid a landside adventure if possible. But if that is not possible, does EK F provide any sort of expedited or private-ish TSA security experience?

How likely is hand luggage to be weighed?

Thanks!
- EK lounge is in TBIT (the international terminal) on the mezzanine level with an amazing view from the terrace of the terminal's interior. Entrance elevators shortly after security. Check the timings as it's not open all day.
- In my experience you can't go direct from AS domestic arrivals to TBIT airside. I've always had to exit arrivals and take the shuttle from AS to TBIT. If your luggage is checked through to your final destination, you don't have to carry them.
- given that you have to go landside, you will likely just re-check-in at EK counter (even if very early, there's usually someone there and they will check you in, especially if F). If you get your boarding pass at SFO, suppose you could go straight to security and get further doc checked in lounge.
- TBIT has a business/first class TSA line, but that's about it. No special EK F experience.
- my hand luggage has never been weighed flying F or J
extramileage is offline  
Old Sep 14, 21, 5:01 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 35,736
Originally Posted by extramileage View Post
- In my experience you can't go direct from AS domestic arrivals to TBIT airside. I've always had to exit arrivals and take the shuttle from AS to TBIT.
FYI, one has been able transit airside between T8 all the way through to TBIT for several years now. T8-7-6 are all at the start of each pier, just past the security checkpoints, 6-5-4 are mid-terminal tunnels, and 4-TBIT is an airside bridge.
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Sep 14, 21, 10:59 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: DXB
Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Posts: 1,176
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
FYI, one has been able transit airside between T8 all the way through to TBIT for several years now. T8-7-6 are all at the start of each pier, just past the security checkpoints, 6-5-4 are mid-terminal tunnels, and 4-TBIT is an airside bridge.
Learning new things every day!
extramileage is offline  
Old Sep 21, 21, 1:20 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Programs: UA, AA, SWA
Posts: 180
When is your flight? I'm on LAX-DXB the 27th.
legallyblond is offline  
Old Sep 21, 21, 2:20 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 35,736
Originally Posted by legallyblond View Post
When is your flight? I'm on LAX-DXB the 27th.
Mine is on a different day.
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Sep 27, 21, 2:53 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: LAX/NYC
Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, HH G, BR Diamond/*G, BAEC Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hertz PC
Posts: 406
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
FYI, one has been able transit airside between T8 all the way through to TBIT for several years now. T8-7-6 are all at the start of each pier, just past the security checkpoints, 6-5-4 are mid-terminal tunnels, and 4-TBIT is an airside bridge.
It's a 25-30min walk airside from TBIT to 8!
BR787 is offline  
Old Sep 28, 21, 3:52 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 35,736
Originally Posted by BR787 View Post
It's a 25-30min walk airside from TBIT to 8!
Still faster than waiting for the bus and taking it around the loop, better than going through TBIT security, and provides good exercise prior to a long long flight.
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Sep 28, 21, 3:56 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 35,736
Originally Posted by extramileage View Post
- given that you have to go landside, you will likely just re-check-in at EK counter (even if very early, there's usually someone there and they will check you in, especially if F). If you get your boarding pass at SFO, suppose you could go straight to security and get further doc checked in lounge.
AS did not issue the EK BPs but did check bag through. Walked airside to EK lounge - presented passports, negative PCR test docs, and the bag claim receipt. We then entered the lounge and the attendant said she'd return our docs and provide the BPs when she had completed everything. I'm sure we were well into the first glass of bubbles when we received the docs
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Sep 29, 21, 12:00 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: DXB
Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Posts: 1,176
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
AS did not issue the EK BPs but did check bag through. Walked airside to EK lounge - presented passports, negative PCR test docs, and the bag claim receipt. We then entered the lounge and the attendant said she'd return our docs and provide the BPs when she had completed everything. I'm sure we were well into the first glass of bubbles when we received the docs
All check-in experiences should include champagne
extramileage is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread