Dubai - Abu Dhabi transit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2021, 11:07 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: SQ PPS
Originally Posted by LondonElite
What would be your suggestion?
Give the public details that the climate is relevant.

the Governments can look ahead, and give a clear plan based on the seasons.

Or just leave everyone in the dark, and act like winter has no bearing on any of this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 11:11 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Had a look at Texas.

New cases have been rising since November.

I'm not saying hot countries fare better than cold ones, that would be illogical.

I'm saying that when countries (whether hot or cold) experience their colder seasons, cases are bound to rise.

Yet, the media/governments refuse to accept that seasons and weather cause more or less COVID cases!
Old Jan 4, 2021, 11:30 am

Programs: EK Plat; QR Gold
Originally Posted by SingaporeDubai
Had a look at Texas.

New cases have been rising since November.

I'm not saying hot countries fare better than cold ones, that would be illogical.

I'm saying that when countries (whether hot or cold) experience their colder seasons, cases are bound to rise.

Yet, the media/governments refuse to accept that seasons and weather cause more or less COVID cases!
I live between South Africa and the UAE. This year, South Africa’s first wave was during an unseasonably cold winter. Fine.

The second wave is so far more severe, and during a very pleasant and warm summer. As DYKWIA said, there are examples of the inverse. A variety of factors likely converge to drive case surges. Your arguments are overly simplistic, and not sure what you again from trying to persuade people on a FF forum, but seen stranger things on here. Suggest we stick to the topic at hand 🙂
stewardo, slowly, not2017 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 11:39 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IntrepidAfrican
I live between South Africa and the UAE. This year, South Africa’s first wave was during an unseasonably cold winter. Fine.

The second wave is so far more severe, and during a very pleasant and warm summer. As DYKWIA said, there are examples of the inverse. A variety of factors likely converge to drive case surges. Your arguments are overly simplistic, and not sure what you again from trying to persuade people on a FF forum, but seen stranger things on here. Suggest we stick to the topic at hand 🙂

But doesn't South Africa have a new strain?

Not accounting for anomalies, I don't get the mass refusal to accept that weather effects all respiratory illnesses.

The overwhelming trend is that there is a strong second/third wave in the northern hemisphere now, and why people don't associate this with the weather is bewildering to say the least.

My point about the UAE may not have been explained well before, whilst it is still cooler than it was in the summer there now, the temperatures may not be low enough to cause the virus to run rife as it is currently in the UK.

18c average temperature - virus spreads modestly
0c average temperature - virus spreads more poignantly. Also, perhaps the human respiratory system is already in a weakened state due to seasonal coughs/colds, and therefore COVID symptoms (if infected) are more severe.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 11:42 am

Programs: EK Plat; QR Gold
But doesn't South Africa have a new strain?
It’s a new variant, not a strain, and I’m glad you’re accepting that a variety of factors converge to drive case surges. Have a good one.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 12:07 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IntrepidAfrican
It’s a new variant, not a strain, and I’m glad you’re accepting that a variety of factors converge to drive case surges. Have a good one.
I stand corrected, varient.

Variety of factors, again agreed, but the general playing down of climate is just odd.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Give the public details that the climate is relevant.

the Governments can look ahead, and give a clear plan based on the seasons.

Or just leave everyone in the dark, and act like winter has no bearing on any of this.
While i dont disagree that climate is A factor, environment (your living/work situation, PPE use and social activities) certainly beats out climate (ambient temperature/seasons). Its doing a real number on South Florida as I recall.

As far as govermental action, at least for now, its a long-shot in the US when scientific data is regarded as fake news.
not2017 and IntrepidAfrican like this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 4:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bradhattan
While i dont disagree that climate is A factor, environment (your living/work situation, PPE use and social activities) certainly beats out climate (ambient temperature/seasons). Its doing a real number on South Florida as I recall.

As far as govermental action, at least for now, its a long-shot in the US when scientific data is regarded as fake news.
The issue in the U.K. is they have sort have fed the public that climate doesn’t make any difference.

If the lockdowns were planned for the colder seasons, it would lead to a lot less business failures. Business could at least plan to be open for the summer and figure out a way to sustain whilst closed in winter.

But no, “it’s not a seasonal virus” and we won’t tell you when there will be a lockdown and when there won’t.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 4:45 pm

Programs: OWE
I did a return Manchester - Dubai via AUH with Etihad last week. Moving between Dubai and AD is like moving between countries, and with checkpoints. From AUH to Dubai city and back I used the dedicated bus service provided by Etihad. For the return journey I had to enter AD no longer than 72h after receiving the test results (AD authorities requirement), at the same time the test had to be done no earlier than 96h before the flight time (EY requirement).
In Dubai there are tests for every budget- premium ones where they come to your hotel to test you and express results for AED500-600 or simple drive through test for AED85. You probably guessed it, I did the later and results still came in by text and email in less than 24h.

It's complicated logistically but doable. Good news is that they are gradually relaxing the restrictions in Abu Dhabi so by April it should be much easier.
not2017 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 5:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Slunko
I did a return Manchester - Dubai via AUH with Etihad last week. Moving between Dubai and AD is like moving between countries, and with checkpoints. From AUH to Dubai city and back I used the dedicated bus service provided by Etihad. For the return journey I had to enter AD no longer than 72h after receiving the test results (AD authorities requirement), at the same time the test had to be done no earlier than 96h before the flight time (EY requirement).
In Dubai there are tests for every budget- premium ones where they come to your hotel to test you and express results for AED500-600 or simple drive through test for AED85. You probably guessed it, I did the later and results still came in by text and email in less than 24h.

It's complicated logistically but doable. Good news is that they are gradually relaxing the restrictions in Abu Dhabi so by April it should be much easier.
thank you
Old Jan 5, 2021, 12:42 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
thank you
I have seen many reports that suggest cold seasons will likely make the situation worse, certainly here in Japan. I have not seen anyone saying there will be no effect.
And as others have said, many other factors will see the virus spreading, ambient temp is just one,
Old Jan 5, 2021, 1:09 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

The issue in the U.K. is they have sort have fed the public that climate doesn’t make any difference.
Can you give some examples of this?

In the UK, we had relatively few cases between July and September when things opened up. Then it spiked again. Do you think this was because :-

a. It got a bit colder
b. Schools and Universities re-opened
Old Jan 5, 2021, 3:21 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by DYKWIA

In the UK, we had relatively few cases between July and September when things opened up. Then it spiked again. Do you think this was because :-

a. It got a bit colder
b
DYKWIA and IntrepidAfrican like this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 4:25 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4
I have seen many reports that suggest cold seasons will likely make the situation worse, certainly here in Japan. I have not seen anyone saying there will be no effect.
And as others have said, many other factors will see the virus spreading, ambient temp is just one,
That’s because Japanese are a lot more logical and sensible than us in the U.K.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 4:31 am
Suspended
Original Poster

a. It got a bit colder
a

Especially because the cases rose in the north first, which gets to a lower temperature before the south.

Also, to say asymptotic school children are responsible for a massive rise in cases doesn’t add up. An asymptotic case by nature would have a low viral load as the virus is not replicating very much at all in an asymptotic individual.

Yes, asymptotic cases can spread the virus but nowhere near as much as a case with severe symptoms, which would create a much larger viral load.

a. It got a bit colder

Last edited by Saltire74; Jan 5, 2021 at 5:56 am Reason: Multiple posting in quick succession

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.