Dubai - Abu Dhabi transit

Old Jan 4, 21, 6:21 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: SQ PPS
Dubai - Abu Dhabi transit

If I flew in from the UK

1. to DXB on BA or EK and needed to take an onward flight from AUH, would this be possible? Any quarantine issues?

2. To AUH, travelled to and stayed a night in Dubai with permitted transport (e.g. Etihad Chauffer or Abu Dhabi taxi) and took an onward flight from Abu Dhabi after a day or two (again going from Dubai with permitted transport). Is this possible?
Old Jan 4, 21, 7:03 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
I believe both scenarios are ok. So long as you have a PCR neg result within 72 hours going across the border from DXB-AUH in both scenarios.

You only need to quarantine in AUH if you havent been within the UAE for 2 weeks. So going to the airport is allowed.
Old Jan 4, 21, 7:34 am

Programs: EK Plat; QR Plat
A colleague tried the into DXB and ex AUH option last week. His summary was that it is doable, but he regretted not just sticking with EK and doing just the one city. But perhaps his itinerary complicated life.

Be mindful that AUH protocol changes are more abrupt than DXB.
Old Jan 4, 21, 7:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IntrepidAfrican View Post
A colleague tried the into DXB and ex AUH option last week. His summary was that it is doable, but he regretted not just sticking with EK and doing just the one city. But perhaps his itinerary complicated life.

Be mindful that AUH protocol changes are more abrupt than DXB.
Do you have more details as to why he regretted it? Especially as he said it was doable?

Did they ask him inane questions, or detain him unnecessarily?
Old Jan 4, 21, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by SingaporeDubai View Post
Do you have more details as to why he regretted it? Especially as he said it was doable?

Did they ask him inane questions, or detain him unnecessarily?
Even though he was departing AUH within 72 hours of his arrival into DXB, they did give him a hard time at AUH for his onward and his test certification. He’d done a “backup” test in Dubai on his layover, so it was smoothened out, but he’s not sure if he’d been allowed to board (his sense is yes, he would have, but after lengthy discussion: he met the letter of the guidelines). he senses that it wouldn’t have even been a discussion if he was simply flying through DXB.

Once he presented a local test certificate he was let through.
Old Jan 4, 21, 8:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Even though he was departing AUH within 72 hours of his arrival into DXB, they did give him a hard time at AUH for his onward and his test certification. He’d done a “backup” test in Dubai on his layover, so it was smoothened out, but he’s not sure if he’d been allowed to board (his sense is yes, he would have, but after lengthy discussion: he met the letter of the guidelines). he senses that it wouldn’t have even been a discussion if he was simply flying through DXB.

Once he presented a local test certificate he was let through.
One would presume that a previous test certificate, as long as within 72 hours should be ok.

However, I suppose getting re-tested in Dubai is good practice and isn't the end of the world.

They shouldn't really require it but good to know that this helped.
Old Jan 4, 21, 8:16 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by modularmayhem View Post
You only need to quarantine in AUH if you havent been within the UAE for 2 weeks. So going to the airport is allowed.
I'm a little confused by this, if I land in Dubai, and go to fly from AUH the next day, I would not have been within the UAE for two weeks.

Although this is exactly my question; is going to the airport (AUH) to leave the country allowed?
Old Jan 4, 21, 8:26 am

One would presume that a previous test certificate, as long as within 72 hours should be ok.

However, I suppose getting re-tested in Dubai is good practice and isn't the end of the world.

They shouldn't really require it but good to know that this helped.
It’s definitely not a requirement. He probably would have boarded. Abu Dhabi is just a different place. Perhaps I have a bias as a Dubai resident.

You can get test done in a handful of hours at Emirates Specialty Hospital. Express service costs AED500 (no queuing, someone walks you through, and results in 3-5 hours guaranteed). Otherwise if you have more time the normal
services work fine too.
Old Jan 4, 21, 8:29 am
Suspended
Original Poster

It’s definitely not a requirement. He probably would have boarded. Abu Dhabi is just a different place. Perhaps I have a bias as a Dubai resident.

You can get test done in a handful of hours at Emirates Specialty Hospital. Express service costs AED500 (no queuing, someone walks you through, and results in 3-5 hours guaranteed). Otherwise if you have more time the normal
services work fine too.

The good news is its possible.

Now for the bad news, my question relates to travel in April and June...

Let's hope the situation improves, not worsens by then!

Thank you for the advise.
Old Jan 4, 21, 8:34 am

The good news is its possible.

Let's hope the situation improves, not worsens by then!

Thank you for the advise.
lol, that’s eons away. Apparently from April vaccines will be mandatory in the UAE, and they tend to do what they say they will, so presumably it will be moot.
Old Jan 4, 21, 8:57 am

I'm a little confused by this, if I land in Dubai, and go to fly from AUH the next day, I would not have been within the UAE for two weeks.

Although this is exactly my question; is going to the airport (AUH) to leave the country allowed?

Yes my understanding is that it is allowed, if you are going to the airport to depart UAE
Old Jan 4, 21, 8:59 am

The way things are changing so fast that is a lifetime away. I would check back much much closer to your intended departure date
Old Jan 4, 21, 9:28 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by modularmayhem View Post
The way things are changing so fast that is a lifetime away. I would check back much much closer to your intended departure date

I will do.

I know its not realistic that things will be the same, but its somewhat reassuring to know that as of now its allowed.

I don't know why scientists won't accept that there is a huge seasonal element to this virus.

It's bitterly cold in the UK, restrictions are much higher than in the late summer, but cases are higher.

It's colder in the UAE, but not as cold as the UK. Yet the UAE is open for business whilst most of the UK is not. Why nobody accepts this is the weather is beyond me!

Not sure why there is such a refusal to accept that seasonality plays more of a part than lockdowns and restrictions.
Old Jan 4, 21, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
I will do.

I know its not realistic that things will be the same, but its somewhat reassuring to know that as of now its allowed.

I don't know why scientists won't accept that there is a huge seasonal element to this virus.

It's bitterly cold in the UK, restrictions are much higher than in the late summer, but cases are higher.

It's colder in the UAE, but not as cold as the UK. Yet the UAE is open for business whilst most of the UK is not. Why nobody accepts this is the weather is beyond me!

Not sure why there is such a refusal to accept that seasonality plays more of a part than lockdowns and restrictions.
What would be your suggestion?
Old Jan 4, 21, 10:46 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I will do.

Take a look at Texas, which is not known for its cold summers. There are countless more examples.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: