Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Itinerary Change by Emirates -- my rights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Itinerary Change by Emirates -- my rights?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2020, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

ft101, I don't understand your comment that "Not worth it." Maybe not worth it to
you, but you're not me; and what I'm doing is totally worth it to me, my time and
money.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by tangoll
ft101, I don't understand your comment that "Not worth it." Maybe not worth it to
you, but you're not me; and what I'm doing is totally worth it to me, my time and
money.
You're OK, it wasn't directed at you. If memory serves me, I'd made a post in haste which I decided was "not worth it".
Old Aug 14, 2020, 11:16 am
Original Poster

After submitting the Refund Request form on 04 August, I still have not received any confirmation from Emirates that the refund request has been approved. However, on the Emirates website, my itinerary from Manage My Booking has been removed. Calling the Customer Service telephone lines and talking to Sanjeev or Indira or Princess (Heidi) is also not much help, as they refuse to send out any confirmation email that the refund has been approved.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 7:59 am

Programs: Fying Blue Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Silver Elite, Hilton Silver
I have been able to finally find the Refund Request form on the Emirates website and have submitted that request. Will now await Emirates' confirmation of that Refund request.
Care to share the form URL?

Originally Posted by iFlyMoreThanYou
Not sure if it helps but my flight was moved by a full day, sent in for a refund, just received a full refund 3 weeks later. I was on flex (which has a cancellation penalty, but was waived because of the sched change)
How did you send the refund? Using a form, email, CS call?
Old Aug 16, 2020, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

https://www.emirates.com/ae/english/help/

Type in "Refund Request" into the search field and click on "Search". And fill in the data requested; make sure you have available the booking reference, ticket number, itinerary, etc. In comments, be sure to ask for cash refund if that is what you want, instead of a future use voucher.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by tangoll; Aug 16, 2020 at 3:48 pm Reason: Added last few sentences.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Have finally received the below email message from Emirates HK office:

"Dear tangollThank you for your email message. Having reviewed your booking record history, XXXXXX, refund application was received on 05 August. Our Refund Team will send you an email when refund is processed. Please be assured that your ticket will be refunded, it may take a longer time to process in view of the current situation. Thank you for your patience and understanding. Emirates Hong Kong office Customer Affairs"

So all good.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 5:14 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Have finally received the below email message from Emirates HK office:

"Dear tangollThank you for your email message. Having reviewed your booking record history, XXXXXX, refund application was received on 05 August. Our Refund Team will send you an email when refund is processed. Please be assured that your ticket will be refunded, it may take a longer time to process in view of the current situation. Thank you for your patience and understanding. Emirates Hong Kong office Customer Affairs"

So all good.
Yes, they're still taking up to 60 days to refund.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Today I was advised of a fraudulent charge of 3,000 euros against my credit card. Bank handling the M/C reversed the charge and terminated the account number and will issue me a new card, so no problem there. Within the last 10 days, I had 3 transactions:
1. A local payment for a new car in Hong Kong, 2. a minor charge to Expedia for a hotel stay in HK, and 3. advice from Emirates that my refund is approved and will be processed. The fraudulent charge was from a hostel/bar in Mallorca Spain. I've been locked down in HK since Feb, 2020. I doubt if the no. 1 or 2 charges are involved. I'm guessing that whoever is handling the refund from Emirates is the source, since they know the original form of payment, which is that credit card.

Now, I have to deal with getting the refund from Emirates to be paid to a different credit card number; not sure how involved that would be. But just a query to ask if anyone waiting for a refund from Emirates has encountered a similar fraudulent charge?
Old Aug 25, 2020, 10:59 am

Now, I have to deal with getting the refund from Emirates to be paid to a different credit card number; not sure how involved that would be. But just a query to ask if anyone waiting for a refund from Emirates has encountered a similar fraudulent charge?
Can't comment on the nature of the fraud, but to answer your first part - getting transactions refunded to changed card numbers or even closed accounts is something that happens on a routine basis every day. It should be seamless if you still hold the account open but simply with a different card number.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Getting Police to Investigate

Since charge came from a Hostel/Bar in Mallorca Spain, I have sent a letter to local police in Mallorca to investigate this fraudulent charge. I have my suspicions as to where the source of the card details came from. Thus, I have sent out a 2nd letter to the police in a another locale. I hope something comes out of these investigations.

Last edited by tangoll; Aug 29, 2020 at 9:17 am Reason: minor editing
Old Sep 7, 2020, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Today I was advised of a fraudulent charge of 3,000 euros against my credit card. Bank handling the M/C reversed the charge and terminated the account number and will issue me a new card, so no problem there. Within the last 10 days, I had 3 transactions:
1. A local payment for a new car in Hong Kong, 2. a minor charge to Expedia for a hotel stay in HK, and 3. advice from Emirates that my refund is approved and will be processed. The fraudulent charge was from a hostel/bar in Mallorca Spain. I've been locked down in HK since Feb, 2020. I doubt if the no. 1 or 2 charges are involved. I'm guessing that whoever is handling the refund from Emirates is the source, since they know the original form of payment, which is that credit card.

The refund will still be issued to the same account. Not even worth a call and if you do make one, it will gum up the refund for a long time to come. Your card issuer is well-equipped to handle posting the credit to the new number (same account, new number). Because the number used to purchase the ticket was terminated due to fraud, all credits simply go to the new number.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Bank Confirms Same

Originally Posted by Often1
The refund will still be issued to the same account. Not even worth a call and if you do make one, it will gum up the refund for a long time to come. Your card issuer is well-equipped to handle posting the credit to the new number (same account, new number). Because the number used to purchase the ticket was terminated due to fraud, all credits simply go to the new number.
You're right; the Bank handling my MasterCard account said same thing; no need to do anything, their system will handle receiving refund into the terminated M/C card number, and transfer the refund into the still live account.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Reciprocity is the Key here.

Sorry, but no sympathy here. When Emirates wants payment for a ticket or a change fee, immediate payment is required. When Emirates "promises" a refund, they say, sorry because of unusual circumstances, we will refund 60-90 days and maybe even longer, without any promise of a specific date. And we have no viable recourse if the refund doesn't happen or is further delayed without explanation. How fair is that?
Old Sep 11, 2020, 2:19 pm

Programs: MR rewards
Sorry, but no sympathy here. When Emirates wants payment for a ticket or a change fee, immediate payment is required. When Emirates "promises" a refund, they say, sorry because of unusual circumstances, we will refund 60-90 days and maybe even longer, without any promise of a specific date. And we have no viable recourse if the refund doesn't happen or is further delayed without explanation. How fair is that?

To be honest your 100% correct, example BA refund my ticket immediately, my friend also deferent route and date without single question or offers such as voucher or change date.
with emirates they well ask if you want voucher or they well say it's ok for two years bla bla, they well try everything to keep the cash !!
Old Sep 12, 2020, 12:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Of course there is - dspute the charge with the card company rather than let it drag out beyond a time where a dispute can be lodged

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.