FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Itinerary Change by Emirates -- my rights? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/2021547-itinerary-change-emirates-my-rights.html)

tangoll Jul 13, 2020 11:37 pm

Itinerary Change by Emirates -- my rights?

Hello

I have just been advised by Emirates, due to operational reasons, that my outbound flights, originally
HKG/LHR 26/10/20 07:35/12:30 via DXB 14:30/18:20 on 26/10 has been altered by Emirates to:
HKG/LHR 26/10/20 18:00/23:05 via DXB 03:10/07:10 on 27/10.

The return GIG/DXB/HKG on 16/11/20 has remained unchanged, one ticket, discount Biz Class, fully paid about US$4,000, non-refundable. LHR/GIG (Rio de Janeiro) was a cruise, which has been cancelled. Ticket purchased direct from Emirates.com.

I would like to cancel the entire ticket and be fully refunded, not receive a voucher/credit for future purchases. How would those knowledgeable about Emirates policies on cancellations and refunds, suggest I handle this? Should I reject Emirates altering the outbound flight schedule, and just demand a full refund back? I do not know whether original flights have been cancelled, or what is real reason for the alteration.

Thanks for any advice I hope to receive before contacting Emirates.

tangoll

DYKWIA Jul 14, 2020 4:28 am

Generally - if the flight timing is changed by > 2 hours you can get a full refund. However, I'm not certain this is written in any T&Cs, or whether EK has different rules for different markets.

Good luck.

tangoll Aug 4, 2020 3:49 am

Emirates flight suspension

Message received from Emirates:
"We regret to inform that the flights you booked will be suspended. Latest planned itinerary could be retrieved on our website under “manage your booking”. Against COVID-19 outbreak, we may offer alternatives (such as rebooking) to eligible passengers. You may find out latest waiver, travel advisor and useful links online."

Since cancellation is by Emirates, even though it's not mentioned, I guess I am entitled to a full refund in cash, and not only a rebooking alternative.

Hope all ends well, and getting a refund is not a big hassle.

Thanks to DYKWIA for advice.

DYKWIA Aug 4, 2020 4:56 am

Originally Posted by tangoll (Post 32580188)
Message received from Emirates:
"We regret to inform that the flights you booked will be suspended. Latest planned itinerary could be retrieved on our website under “manage your booking”. Against COVID-19 outbreak, we may offer alternatives (such as rebooking) to eligible passengers. You may find out latest waiver, travel advisor and useful links online."

Since cancellation is by Emirates, even though it's not mentioned, I guess I am entitled to a full refund in cash, and not only a rebooking alternative.

Hope all ends well, and getting a refund is not a big hassle.

Thanks to DYKWIA for advice.

Head for Points had an article that mentions Emirates are one of the bad boys when it comes to refunds (according to the CAA) :-

https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/0...anair-easyjet/

Emirates – “Emirates is one of the airlines that our review identified as not processing refund requests sufficiently quickly and as having a sizeable backlog of refund requests. In relation to refund processing timescales, at least initially the airline was taking up to 90 days to process refund requests, although the airline was subsequently able to improve its performance to around 60 days. However, the CAA was not satisfied with this level of performance and requested that Emirates provide it with commitments to reduce the time taken to process refunds, such that they are processed in a reasonable timeframe and one which is aimed at the 7 day period set out in Regulation EC261/2004. Emirates has now confirmed to us that, as a result of investing further in the number of staff available to process refund claims, it is now able to process refund requests in, on average, 40 days or less from the request being made by the passenger, with passengers having to wait a maximum of 50 days. Emirates expects to reduce the timeframe to 30 days by September. It also confirmed that is has processed 100% of claims received in March and April and 95% of those received in May.”

Dave Noble Aug 4, 2020 5:19 am

Rather than get the runaround from Emirates, dispute the charge with the credit card company - with a flight being cancelled, getting the charge reversed should be easy

sealsgod Aug 4, 2020 6:15 am

get a voucher, or change another time, seems evening flight to HK still not have a plan for resume operation, as the resume schedule not stick to the planning. btw I saw the main point for this ticket was you have cancel the trip. there for a voucher may be the best for your non refundable ticket this moment.

tangoll Aug 4, 2020 9:52 am

Not so.

Originally Posted by sealsgod (Post 32580374)
get a voucher, or change another time, seems evening flight to HK still not have a plan for resume operation, as the resume schedule not stick to the planning. btw I saw the main point for this ticket was you have cancel the trip. there for a voucher may be the best for your non refundable ticket this moment.

sealsgod, you are mistaken. I have not cancelled the ticket/trip. It is clear from Emirates'
email messages that Emirates, first changed the departure, and in the last message, "suspended" the itinerary. Absolutely no doubt about that.

Dave Noble Aug 4, 2020 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by tangoll (Post 32580820)
sealsgod, you are mistaken. I have not cancelled the ticket/trip. It is clear from Emirates'
email messages that Emirates, first changed the departure, and in the last message, "suspended" the itinerary. Absolutely no doubt about that.

Given that the airline cancelled, just save yourself the headache of dealing with a company that will try to force a voucher on you and take it up with your credit card company

tangoll Aug 5, 2020 12:34 am

Emirates being difficult

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 32582352)
Given that the airline cancelled, just save yourself the headache of dealing with a company that will try to force a voucher on you and take it up with your credit card company

On the Emirates website, it is near impossible to find the page or field where one can merely request a refund on an itinerary that has been cancelled/suspended by Emirates.

I think the only recourse is to submit all the supporting documents to your credit card company and ask for a chargeback.

sealsgod Aug 5, 2020 12:49 am

Originally Posted by tangoll (Post 32580820)

do make me feel mistake, you are talking two thing,
1) EK have change your ticket
2) your open jaw ticket is a non refundable ticket, also the trip between two city have been cancel
Now, what I read from the message you want to trying get a full refund because of the EK have been change your ticket to the next flight. what the question come now, if this happen on March, when eventhig start, you can still try to get a full refund without any reason. but what in aug as of today, there is no way to get a money back in your ticket type also for the card charge back is can not use at this moment. second if you still want to travel but just do want to be delay arrive to LHR from 26 to 27, you can call EK for get change on your light from 26 evening flight to 26 midnight flight.

tangoll Aug 5, 2020 4:31 pm

No interest to dispute who is right

Originally Posted by sealsgod (Post 32582538)
do make me feel mistake, you are talking two thing,
1) EK have change your ticket
2) your open jaw ticket is a non refundable ticket, also the trip between two city have been cancel
Now, what I read from the message you want to trying get a full refund because of the EK have been change your ticket to the next flight. what the question come now, if this happen on March, when eventhig start, you can still try to get a full refund without any reason. but what in aug as of today, there is no way to get a money back in your ticket type also for the card charge back is can not use at this moment. second if you still want to travel but just do want to be delay arrive to LHR from 26 to 27, you can call EK for get change on your light from 26 evening flight to 26 midnight flight.

Sealsgod, I have no interest in getting into a longwinded discussion as to whether you are right or wrong in this thread. I just want to ensure that my rights to a full refund of the ticket from Emirates are acted upon by Emirates.
1. First email from Emirates advising change to schedule of HKG/DXB/LHR: I have not disputed that change made by Emirates.
2. Second email from Emirates advising that the sector from GIG/DXB has been suspended, so that now the new itinerary is HKG/DXB/LHR...(suspended
GIG/DXB)...DXB/HKG. This suspension renders the entire itinerary useless to me. This is basis of my claim for a refund from Emirates, due solely to their suspension of the GIG/DXB sector.

I have been able to finally find the Refund Request form on the Emirates website and have submitted that request. Will now await Emirates' confirmation of that Refund request.

iFlyMoreThanYou Aug 5, 2020 10:06 pm

Not sure if it helps but my flight was moved by a full day, sent in for a refund, just received a full refund 3 weeks later. I was on flex (which has a cancellation penalty, but was waived because of the sched change)

sealsgod Aug 6, 2020 7:20 am

Originally Posted by tangoll (Post 32584321)
Sealsgod, I have no interest in getting into a longwinded discussion as to whether you are right or wrong in this thread. I just want to ensure that my rights to a full refund of the ticket from Emirates are acted upon by Emirates.
1. First email from Emirates advising change to schedule of HKG/DXB/LHR: I have not disputed that change made by Emirates.
2. Second email from Emirates advising that the sector from GIG/DXB has been suspended, so that now the new itinerary is HKG/DXB/LHR...(suspended
GIG/DXB)...DXB/HKG. This suspension renders the entire itinerary useless to me. This is basis of my claim for a refund from Emirates, due solely to their suspension of the GIG/DXB sector.

I have been able to finally find the Refund Request form on the Emirates website and have submitted that request. Will now await Emirates' confirmation of that Refund request.

as what you saying is want to get full refund why you don't just send email or call emirates for asking directly, here what we can share with you is what we have in the pass already not up to date, there have another way is try to found your travel insurance, but I don;t know do this work for you.

tangoll Aug 6, 2020 8:03 am

sealsgod, not to worry; it's all good. I have already sent a Refund Request to Emirates.
Failing that, I will go the credit card route for a chargeback. As for travel insurance, yes, I
do have an annual travel insurance policy, but it covers only me as the covered policy holder, and
the coverage is only up to 50% of the amount lost due to cancellation or delay. As there are two
passengers/tickets on this single booking, the insurance policy would pay back only 25% of the
total amount I am seeking as the refund. So the travel insurance policy route is not a good alternative.

Believe me, I think I have this process well thought through.

ft101 Aug 6, 2020 9:21 am

Edited: Not worth it.