Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates Considers Cutting 30,000 Jobs, Retire A380s Faster

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates Considers Cutting 30,000 Jobs, Retire A380s Faster

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2020, 6:10 am

Programs: BAEC
Out of interest has any one ever seen Emirates Cabin Crew over the age of 60! Not sure I’ve ever even seen a member over 30..
Old May 18, 2020, 6:46 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by londonba2014
Out of interest has any one ever seen Emirates Cabin Crew over the age of 60! Not sure I’ve ever even seen a member over 30..
There was a comment to one of the blog posts saying that there are no over-60s... So, that was something that was made up. How many of the other bits were made up?
londonba2014 likes this.
Old May 18, 2020, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by ZRHMD11

While this is a sad news, please enlighten me while I do not understand why there is an urge to expedite the retirement of a lot of aircraft in such a short period of time.

If we are talking about leasing an aircraft, I get it, you incur a lot of costs of holding onto the aircraft without using it, but I believe EK bought a lot of A380s outright, correct?

If we are talking about slot prices/fees, while I understand that the confined airports like HKG that charge huge fees in parking the aircraft, if EK park all their own aircraft at DXB, which is their home and hub, they can easily work out a deal with DXB and the government not to charge as much parking fee?

If we are talking about maintenance, I get it, you need it when you use or fly the aircraft, but when you don't use it, then you don't need maintenance as much...?

Perhaps I need a bit more information to understand exactly what is going on.
Old May 18, 2020, 8:05 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky

If we are talking about leasing an aircraft, I get it, you incur a lot of costs of holding onto the aircraft without using it, but I believe EK bought a lot of A380s outright, correct?
Per this article from Forbes, 59 of the Emirates A380 fleet are leased.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/willhor.../#3d49043c79e2
Old May 18, 2020, 9:39 am
Suspended

Programs: EK iO
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
There was a comment to one of the blog posts saying that there are no over-60s... So, that was something that was made up. How many of the other bits were made up?
A lot. The source was a message that went around whatsapp groups that made the rounds four days ago, full of inaccuracies. Probably reached Lucky through a friend (Sam Chui?)
Old May 18, 2020, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by iFlyMoreThanYou
A lot. The source was a message that went around whatsapp groups that made the rounds four days ago, full of inaccuracies. Probably reached Lucky through a friend (Sam Chui?)
He copied it more or less word for word from that Paddle your canoe site that's quoted in the OP.
Old May 18, 2020, 10:48 am
Suspended

He copied it more or less word for word from that Paddle your canoe site that's quoted in the OP.
that's what I was referring to, that blog got it from that same message
Old May 18, 2020, 11:20 am

I don't know is it right or not, if after covid-19 we still keep distance between pax, it should be need more a 380 to do this, let say they need to keep 1 seat empty between each pax in y class, ek try to keep more a 380 as they can, they should be having the biggest capacity in world and try to lower the ticket price
Old May 18, 2020, 4:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sealsgod
I don't know is it right or not, if after covid-19 we still keep distance between pax, it should be need more a 380 to do this, let say they need to keep 1 seat empty between each pax in y class, ek try to keep more a 380 as they can, they should be having the biggest capacity in world and try to lower the ticket price
Everyone knows social distancing is a ridiculous concept that is not conceivable on a plane. A seat is 17 inches wide, hardly six feet. But yes let's keep pushing social distancing and have more airlines go bankrupt - worth it!
Old May 19, 2020, 1:33 am

Programs: EK platinum, ET, SAS
No A380s, thats a lot of F seats that won't be replaced when the B787s and A350s arrive.

If no F, it's bye bye Emirates for me. I'll be flying Singapore instead, and hope that their current commitment to an F seat remains at least in the medium term.

I know at the end of the day I'm nothing to Emirates, so I make the decisions that suit me best. After 21 years flying Emirates exclusively, I'm up for a change. And EK platinum is boring!

THE ONLY THING CONSTANT IN LIFE IS CHANGE! Embrace it.

Last edited by BadoRas; May 19, 2020 at 3:11 am
Old May 19, 2020, 3:34 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Any chance EK installing those F suites old or new to the A350 and B787 ?
Old May 19, 2020, 4:20 am

There are 115 B77X firm orders that are due to start being delivered before the B787 & A350. I guess some these will have F of some sort.

EK currently has 203 planes on order! I always wondered where they would find the routes and passengers to fill these, and that was before the current crisis...
Old May 19, 2020, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by BadoRas
No A380s, thats a lot of F seats that won't be replaced when the B787s and A350s arrive.
Where has it been said that the B787s & A350s won't have F?
Old May 19, 2020, 5:24 am

Where has it been said that the B787s & A350s won't have F?
Damn, I read it in a bit of an alcoholic haze last night. It was a comment by Sir Tim, so seemed fairly authoratitive.
Let me collect my already alcohol-muddled thoughts and find the reference. I'll get back to you ...........
DYKWIA likes this.
Old May 19, 2020, 5:29 am

Here it is, in Executive Traveller (that's not really me, poor fit!! I'm a convict after all)

https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...my-first-class
DYKWIA likes this.

Last edited by BadoRas; May 19, 2020 at 6:40 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.