Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates Considers Cutting 30,000 Jobs, Retire A380s Faster

Old May 17, 20, 3:49 am
Original Poster

Bad news!!!

https://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2...ew-and-pilots/

Emirates is said to be drawing up plans to permanently decommission 40 per cent of its Airbus A380 superjumbo fleet with a final decision likely to be officially announced within days according to several sources said to be familiar with the matter. The Dubai-based airline, which is by far the world’s largest operator of the A380 superjumbo, grounded its entire 115-strong fleet of double-deck planes on March 25 due to travel restrictions imposed by the government in response of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Last edited by Saltire74; May 17, 20 at 12:04 pm Reason: Quote added from link. We don’t like blind links
Old May 17, 20, 3:58 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by ZRHMD11 View Post
Emirates is said to be drawing up plans to permanently decommission 40 per cent of its Airbus A380 superjumbo fleet with a final decision likely to be officially announced within days according to several sources said to be familiar with the matter. The Dubai-based airline, which is by far the world’s largest operator of the A380 superjumbo, grounded its entire 115-strong fleet of double-deck planes on March 25 due to travel restrictions imposed by the government in response of the COVID-19 pandemic.

A total of 46 Airbus A380’s have now been earmarked to be permanently retired and may never fly passengers ever again. The decision comes less than two weeks after Sir Tim Clark, the longtime President of Emirates declared “the A380 is over”. In an interview with Gulf newspaper The National, Sir Tim warned that the airline would be 20 – 30 per cent smaller as it emerged from the Coronavirus crisis.
The article says that things wont get back to normal for at least 18 months. What happens then? If things *are* normal, then having 40% fewer A380s will be an issue.

Why are Emirates selling tickets for 2xA380 flights per day MAN-DXB from July (going to 3x from September)?
mjmal51 likes this.
Old May 17, 20, 4:35 am

Programs: Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by ZRHMD11 View Post
Let’s face Emirates will not be immune from having to make tough decisions and there most likely will be redundancies coming, but honestly the author with his “sources” is so full of credibility... not. Now if it was news by Reuters or Bloomberg than I might believe it! Lots of click bait, just check the author:

Mateusz Maszczynski is a serving international flight attendant with experience at a major Middle East and European airline. Mateusz is passionate about the aviation industry and helping aspiring flight attendants achieve their dreams. Cabin crew recruitment can be tough, ultra-competitive and just a little bit confusing - Mateusz has been there and done that. He's got the low down on what really works.
Old May 17, 20, 6:00 am

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
The article says that things wont get back to normal for at least 18 months. What happens then? If things *are* normal, then having 40% fewer A380s will be an issue.

Why are Emirates selling tickets for 2xA380 flights per day MAN-DXB from July (going to 3x from September)?
They want your money!

You are buying a ticket and they never guarantee the aircraft you fly on.
Old May 17, 20, 6:10 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Wanderlust_65 View Post
Let’s face Emirates will not be immune from having to make tough decisions and there most likely will be redundancies coming, but honestly the author with his “sources” is so full of credibility... not. Now if it was news by Reuters or Bloomberg than I might believe it! Lots of click bait, just check the author:
I suppose the issue will be that they'll make a lot of A380 pilots redundant. Then, in 2 years when things start to pick up, where would they get A380 pilots from? Nobody else will be flying the A380 in any great numbers, so I'd doubt many people would want to train up for a plane that would would start being phased out within a few years anyway.
Old May 17, 20, 6:38 am

I suppose the issue will be that they'll make a lot of A380 pilots redundant. Then, in 2 years when things start to pick up, where would they get A380 pilots from? Nobody else will be flying the A380 in any great numbers, so I'd doubt many people would want to train up for a plane that would would start being phased out within a few years anyway.
Maybe they will just accelerate A350 / B787 deliveries?
Old May 17, 20, 7:14 am

Absolutely agree with you on this. No airline will survive without making redundancies and in Ek’s case sadly it may affect the A380 (so sad I so love flying on it).

I just think to publish information received by unconfirmed “sources” - even if part of it may be true - in such uncertain times (and this not only relates to EK, but also other airlines) - is highly irresponsible. But of course, it brings traffic to the author’s site...The comments the guy got in his blog on these news speaks for itself.

Last edited by Wanderlust_65; May 17, 20 at 7:20 am
Old May 17, 20, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Wanderlust_65 View Post
Absolutely agree with you on this. No airline will survive without making redundancies and in Ek’s case sadly it may affect the A380 (so sad I so love flying on it).

I just think to publish information received by unconfirmed “sources” - even if part of it may be true - in such uncertain times (and this not only relates to EK, but also other airlines) - is highly irresponsible. But of course, it brings traffic to the author’s site...The comments the guy got in his blog on these news speaks for itself.
Now also latest news on OMAAT...
https://onemileatatime.com/emirates-to-retire-a380/
Old May 17, 20, 8:56 am

Emirates Group is considering plans to cut about 30,000 jobs as the operator of the world’s largest long-haul carrier seeks to reduce costs after the coronavirus pandemic grounded air travel.

A spokesperson for Emirates said the company declined to comment on rumors.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...e-a380s-faster
Old May 17, 20, 10:56 am

And an official statement from Emirates.

Dubai's flagship airline Emirates on Sunday said that it has not made any announcement regarding mass redundancies at the airline.

The statement came after Bloomberg News reported that the Emirates Group was planning to cut about 30,000 jobs to reduce costs.

https://www.khaleejtimes.com/coronav...-says-emirates
Old May 17, 20, 11:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium

Hope for all involved that this won’t be true:

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/a...e-a380s-faster

Good friend of mine who is a A380 FO expects a 20% cut

Emirates Group is considering plans to cut about 30,000 jobs as the operator of the world’s largest long-haul carrier seeks to reduce costs after the coronavirus pandemic grounded air travel.
The Dubai-based group could slash the number of employees by about 30% from more than 105,000 at the end of March, according to people familiar with the matter. Emirates is also considering accelerating the retirement of its fleet of Airbus SE A380s -- of which it is the biggest operator, some of the people said, declining to be identified because the information hasn’t been made public.

Last edited by Saltire74; May 17, 20 at 12:07 pm Reason: Quote added. We don’t like blind links
Old May 17, 20, 11:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium
This is being discussed here :-

The Emirates Fleet Guide
Is there anything this forum doesn’t know
nmc980 likes this.
Old May 17, 20, 1:32 pm

Programs: EK iO
A blog by a disgruntled ex ek cabin crew isnt exactly a great source
Tanzguy and Wanderlust_65 like this.
Old May 17, 20, 1:58 pm

Programs: Skywards
When I saw it was self promotion through a blog I didn't bother opening the link.
ps107 likes this.
Old May 17, 20, 4:50 pm

As pilots the training as a newhire is the same regardless of prior type. If selected for the uglybus your training would be the exact same as if you were typed already except your MV and LOE would count as your type ride. So they dont have to worry about a lack of 380 guys.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: