Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

EK NOT waiving fees for US flights due to Coronavirus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2020, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Platinum, IHG Diamond and Ambassador

Booked F FLL-SIN and HKG-FLL for a 14 day cruise Singapore to Hong Kong.
Due to the Coronavirus situation the cruise line changed the itinerary. We now go to Japan instead and end in Tokyo
Called EK to rebook the return from HND instead and Was told they will waive the $400 change fee...but we’ll have to each pay the $4,000 fare category difference!
There’s only like 20 authorized destinations they’ll do a free change for...none in the US or UK!
What?
That sucks Emirates!
Come on Emirates this is a crisis..Be a good, caring corporation and join all the other worldwide airlines that are allowing free changes for EVERY destination from China and Hong Kong.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by big69bob
....join all the other worldwide airlines that are allowing free changes for EVERY destination from China and Hong Kong.
Please provide proof and evidence of that statement. And for "all the other worldwide airlines" and in particular for destination of Hong Kong.
Often1 and aceboy44 like this.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 3:40 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

You seem to be using the Corona virus as an excuse because your cruise has changed destinations. Surely you should be approaching the cruise company?

EK and most other airlines are still flying to SIN and HKG. Why should they re-accomodate you?
Old Feb 8, 2020, 4:11 pm

Programs: Thai Silver,Skywards Silver,Gulf Silver, Interconti Prority Platinum, FR Priority Q!
If you had booked the whole package with the Cruise Company,instead of booking the flights separately, you wouldn't be in this mess.
My pal was due to fly from the UK via Dubai to HKG in F this weekend,
Their cruise pulled out of HKG and diverted to Manila.
Flights were changed at no cost...
SS
Old Feb 8, 2020, 4:13 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Heres a thought, instead of blaming EK why don’t you just figure your own way of getting from Tokyo to HKG? Or get the cruise line to pay for it? I don’t see how any of this is the fault of EK. Loads of people are still flying to/from HKG.

Also if you wouldn't mind saying, how much did you originally pay for your ticket that the fare difference is $4k. And I hope you know there isn't F on FLL-DXB
nancypants and imkevinmc like this.

Last edited by S.R; Feb 8, 2020 at 5:38 pm
Old Feb 8, 2020, 7:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: EK iO
Originally Posted by S.R
Heres a thought, instead of blaming EK why don’t you just figure your own way of getting from Tokyo to HKG? Or get the cruise line to pay for it? I don’t see how any of this is the fault of EK. Loads of people are still flying to/from HKG.

Also if you wouldn't mind saying, how much did you originally pay for your ticket that the fare difference is $4k. And I hope you know there isn't F on FLL-DXB
I'm sure another AS award and this 4k is made up.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 7:27 pm

I don't see what this all has to do with Emirates. Your cruise operator has changed the plan, ask them to pay.

Alternatively isn't this what travel insurance is for?
Old Feb 8, 2020, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Platinum, IHG Diamond and Ambassador
My point is that EK is offering completely free changes only for “select destinations” only and that’s not fair. Outside China the whole world Is affected equally.
  • Reroute to select destinations free of charge for outbound travel up to 31 March. Selected destinations are Dubai, Denpasar, Phuket, Manila, Cebu, Clark, Bangkok, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hanoi, Phnom Penh, Saigon, Jakarta, Taipei, Mauritius, Seychelles, Nairobi, Dar Es Salaam, Casablanca, Tunis, Addis Ababa, Johannesburg, Durban and Cape Town.
    Yeah I’ll never go on a cruise again that I don’t book through the cruise line. Didn’t because we’re doing an EK special 2 day stop in Dubai in the way.
    original tickets were 9K more or less so I’m not paying 8 grand more to change.
  • Cruise line is offering only $500pp towards changes.
  • Yes FLL-DXB is 2-2-2 business.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 1:36 am

I wonder if there is a misunderstanding here.

For customers "travelling into and on their return journey from Hong Kong" you can get a refund or reroute to selected locations.

Those places will clearly be where EK has capacity.

Can you not get a refund?
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 2:20 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

My point is that EK is offering completely free changes only for “select destinations” only and that’s not fair. Outside China the whole world Is affected equally.
  • Reroute to select destinations free of charge for outbound travel up to 31 March. Selected destinations are Dubai, Denpasar, Phuket, Manila, Cebu, Clark, Bangkok, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hanoi, Phnom Penh, Saigon, Jakarta, Taipei, Mauritius, Seychelles, Nairobi, Dar Es Salaam, Casablanca, Tunis, Addis Ababa, Johannesburg, Durban and Cape Town.
    Yeah I’ll never go on a cruise again that I don’t book through the cruise line. Didn’t because we’re doing an EK special 2 day stop in Dubai in the way.
    original tickets were 9K more or less so I’m not paying 8 grand more to change.
  • Cruise line is offering only $500pp towards changes.
  • Yes FLL-DXB is 2-2-2 business.
I think you've misunderstood this. The key word here is "outbound". If your outbound flight is to an affected area in China, you can reroute to those destinations listed.

Why can't just just get a cheap flight from HND to HKG, and get your original flight back to FLL?
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 2:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Given that, as you haven't mentioned, that EK is offering a full refund for those that do not wish to travel as planned or go to one of these other locations, and that the fare difference is more than you wish to pay, then perhaps just take a refund and purchase a ticket from another airline

I cannot see how Emirates is being at all unreasonable. It is not a reasonable expectation that travel to any location on the EK network be permitted if not wanting to go to China
Old Feb 9, 2020, 3:22 am

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
Peddle your own canoe mate, and make arrangements for a flight between Tokyo and Honkers. HK Express will do it at a smidgen over 100 USD one-way.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 3:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Take this up with your travel insurance provider.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 4:05 am

Come on Emirates this is a crisis..Be a good, caring corporation and join all the other worldwide airlines that are allowing free changes for EVERY destination from China and Hong Kong.
Be a good caring consumer and help out all the struggling corporations
iFlyMoreThanYou likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 8:05 am

Programs: BA Silver
So you want to change your return flight from Hong Kong to Japan, citing the Coronavirus as a reason. EK are probably wondering why you are not willing to fly from Hong Kong but are ok to travel to Singapore and Japan - both places with more cases than Hong Kong!

I sympathise regarding the cruise change - I'm booked on the Diamond Princess from Kobe in a couple of months and don't know if my cruise will still happen or not. In your case though the solution is as simple as mentioned already. Buy a one way TYO-HKG ticket to pick up your booked return flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.