Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Anyone else at DXB today? [Jan 11th 2020]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone else at DXB today? [Jan 11th 2020]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2020, 8:46 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
What is interesting is that generally, insurance companies don't pay out for "natural disasters or catastrophes" but the UAE Insurance Authority explicitly stated that they don't consider what happened to be an extraordinary occurance and hence should not be excluded.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 6:37 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Gold. Hilton Gold, EK Platinum
Left DXB on EK352 Sunday 12th, due to leave at 10.00 took off at 12.30 so not too bad under the circumstances. Full flight and many disgruntled passengers who had missed previous connections or had flight cancelled.

Generally, Emirates have been pretty good in helping out folks affected, they can’t control the weather and Dubai can’t cope with rain!

I was there the nights of 10th and 11th and it is the first time I have been wakened up, in Dubai, by the rain battering against the bedroom window.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 10:21 am

Programs: BA Silver
I was told by the cabin crew on board EK29 DXB/LHR yesterday cloud seeding had taken place. She joked that they’d overdone it a bit this time. She’d been stranded in a taxi for four hours. We’d started at Durban but our baggage missed the connection. However, it was couriered to us and we received it this lunch time.

Last edited by Shingi; Jan 13, 2020 at 10:22 am Reason: Typo
Old Jan 19, 2020, 10:15 pm

Programs: EK platinum, ET, SAS
Originally Posted by hazban

..... and Dubai can’t cope with rain!

I was there the nights of 10th and 11th and it is the first time I have been wakened up, in Dubai, by the rain battering against the bedroom window.
I can remember a cyclone event around easter 2003 when I was awakened by TV aerials, dishes and cables smashing against my window! I have amazing video of entire sections of A/C ducting (which was stacked outside on a construction site) being blown along the ground then becoming airborne and skipping over a 2m high fence.

The worst part was the lack of drainage causing streets to remain flooded and impassable for days afterwards. And car damage from cricket ball-sized hail stones.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.