Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Achieving Platinum (short on miles)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2020, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards

Hi all;

I am currently gold, and I have a couple of flights planned between now and end Feb (one is booked, JNB -DXB return) and the other needs to be JNB-IST return. The DXB leg is on an O ticket, giving me 8,750 tier miles. I will be 13,144 tier miles short of Platinum at the end of Jan (after this flight). At this stage, the cheapest Business class ticket available in the window I plan to travel to IST is also an O ticket, and I need to fly on the cheapest ticket I can per our policies at work. This ticket gives me 13,126 tier miles, leaving me 18 tier miles short of Platinum. Any ideas on how I could try to get the additional miles without going up a ticket class, or whether Emirates are in any way flexible on this?
Old Jan 10, 2020, 3:04 am
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk SukkaFoo.

I would call Skywards and ask.
Tanzguy likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Just in case anyone else hits this. I contacted them and they said that within 100 tier miles of reaching platinum they would push me up.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 7:07 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
I have had it at 500 miles short as well but they could see future travel booked as well that would have pushed me up anyways
Old Jan 15, 2020, 8:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: EK iO
While I am happy for you, welcome to the club ( ) I do wonder what the leeway should be in cases like this. If you start accepting qualifications with less than 100 miles, maybe 200 is alright too, maybe 300... you get the point. Perhaps they look into future travel as well as Zol pointed out.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:02 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by iFlyMoreThanYou
While I am happy for you, welcome to the club ( ) I do wonder what the leeway should be in cases like this. If you start accepting qualifications with less than 100 miles, maybe 200 is alright too, maybe 300... you get the point. Perhaps they look into future travel as well as Zol pointed out.
To put it in perspective, the smallest earn flights are Y Special fares either to Dammam or Muscat from DXB. They would earn 150 tier miles. It would therefore make sense to permit a discretion of up to 100 miles (maybe even 149?)
Old Jan 15, 2020, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sydtogla
To put it in perspective, the smallest earn flights are Y Special fares either to Dammam or Muscat from DXB. They would earn 150 tier miles. It would therefore make sense to permit a discretion of up to 100 miles (maybe even 149?)
Yeah, when I called them initially, they said they would keep the existing tier miles due to expire in Feb in order to hit the 150k, so I think theres wiggle room even outside of this 100 tier mile concession.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.