Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates - Gatwick Gate

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2019, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Emirates - Gatwick Gate

Anyone ever seen the A380 park up at a gate other than 110 at London Gatwick? Flying it tonight and it’s turned up at 55G taking up no less than three stands!
Old Nov 7, 2019, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by londonba2014
Anyone ever seen the A380 park up at a gate other than 110 at London Gatwick? Flying it tonight and it’s turned up at 55G taking up no less than three stands!
I guess it's a gate issue
Old Nov 7, 2019, 1:51 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Never seen this at LGW (which is my second most used airport).
Have however had something similar when arriving at AMS, where G9 is the usual gate. We were towed to a gate on the D pier (I think) which was a very cumbersome process. I guess aircraft with a big wingspan are not allowed to drive unassisted on that part of the apron. Of course this was not a gate with an upper airbridge so we (flying in J) had to come down the F cabin stairs and then a long walk to bagage belt 22 where no bags had arrived yet. But I digress.....Where is 55G? Probably closer to the lounge than 110..
Old Nov 8, 2019, 2:28 am

Programs: EK Skywards Gold; BAEC Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Plat
The last time I was flying through LGW (end of Sept 2019), the check in agent mentioned that they are in the process of changing the gate in Q1 2020 so that it will either be boarding from the lounge or a closer walk from the lounge. Not sure if there is any basis to this...can anyone else confirm or deny?
Old Nov 8, 2019, 3:16 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by Mits10
The last time I was flying through LGW (end of Sept 2019), the check in agent mentioned that they are in the process of changing the gate in Q1 2020 so that it will either be boarding from the lounge or a closer walk from the lounge. Not sure if there is any basis to this...can anyone else confirm or deny?
That is a rumour I have heard before, but it also involved moving the lounge to a position from where direct boarding was possible (I don’t think the current lounge is anywhere near an existing stand). I don’t mind the long walk to 110 (including the long escalator rides) all that much, but I could understand that for some people it could be unpleasant (thinking of folk who are less mobile but don’t require a wheelchair)
I’ll be into LGW in Jan and out again in Feb, I’ll ask some questions and report back if there is anything worth reporting.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 3:04 pm

I thought gate 55 was being upgraded to a A380 gate, but no sign of any works happening so far.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 10:54 pm

Just saw the Instagram story of one of the flight crew operating EK10 (Friday 15th Nov), where he refers to Gate 558 as EK's new home at LGW.
thijsseh likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 10:55 pm

Old Nov 17, 2019, 1:25 am

Indeed it appears this is correct and the change took place in the middle of last week. Gate 110 will disappear to accommodate the expansion of Pier 6. The old passport/photo check for domestic passengers at the entry to the 55 gates is also gone.

Good news for EK passengers bearing in mind proximity to the lounges but there will be some hideous walks for people using the new gates in the gate 110 area.

https://www.breakingtravelnews.com/n...nal-expansion/
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by simons1
Indeed it appears this is correct and the change took place in the middle of last week. Gate 110 will disappear to accommodate the expansion of Pier 6. The old passport/photo check for domestic passengers at the entry to the 55 gates is also gone.

Good news for EK passengers bearing in mind proximity to the lounges but there will be some hideous walks for people using the new gates in the gate 110 area.

https://www.breakingtravelnews.com/n...nal-expansion/
Interesting to see, though with the new stand the size of the 380 does mean it takes up three regular parking positions! Echo that on the long walk to the 110 gates, am going to feel an even greater feeling of dread arriving on a late night EZY flight and pulling into them .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.