Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: extramileage
From around the 10th of June 2019 it has been observed that Emirates is marketing a new fare brand "Business Special". The introduction of a new fare bucket on the GDS with identifier "H" was first observed by m3red several weeks prior, speculation was that this might relate to Premium Economy. This fare bucket appears, however, to be intended for deep discount Business Class.

Restrictions:
- no chauffeur drive
- "restricted" seat selection (per website: "Complimentary for all passengers choosing a seat after check-in opens. Emirates Skywards Platinum members can select a seat any time")
- no lounge access
- no ability at all to upgrade with miles

Skywards:
- Earns at the same rates as Y Flex Plus
- Cannot redeem miles to book this fare brand
- Cannot upgrade with miles from J Special to F in any circumstances
Print Wikipost

New Business Class Fare Bucket

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Metanoia
Many of us whose employers fund our travel unfortunately can't decide the fare bucket.
Then that is really an issue between you and the employer

if EK simply put fares up rather than introduce a new lite offering, is it really leaving money on the table or is it risking that the company would use a cheaper airline. If this is still making EK the choice for the company, rather than going to another carrier, it has got it right

I suspect that most employers don't care about lounge access for travellers ; if the cost of transport at airports is more than fare difference to a fare including chauffeur drive, might be an argument for getting a more expensive fare
Old Jun 14, 2019, 2:13 am

Programs: BA, Malaysian
Another kick to the leisure traveler

It seems to me that the airlines don't want the business of the leisure traveler. My wife and I like to travel; in business class when we go on long haul holidays. We stopped using BA because we could no longer book our seats and I guess we will now no longer use Emirates for the same reason. We plan our holidays well in advance and like the comfort of knowing we will be in our prefered seats.
Being leisure travelers we do not get the chance to build the miles to obtain seat booking and lounge access that the business traveler gets and then uses for their private travel.
I suppose it all depends on how much more expensive the "with frills" seats are!
Matt.Edwards and beeorchid like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by coveyducks
It seems to me that the airlines don't want the business of the leisure traveler. My wife and I like to travel; in business class when we go on long haul holidays. We stopped using BA because we could no longer book our seats and I guess we will now no longer use Emirates for the same reason. We plan our holidays well in advance and like the comfort of knowing we will be in our prefered seats.
Being leisure travelers we do not get the chance to build the miles to obtain seat booking and lounge access that the business traveler gets and then uses for their private travel.
I suppose it all depends on how much more expensive the "with frills" seats are!
How much is Emirate costing when adding seat selection or booking the higher fare vs the competitor?

Airlines dont care whose money it is, but is up to the customer to decide whether the price and offering meets their needs
Old Jun 14, 2019, 2:50 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by coveyducks
I assume you are UK based? If so, then we don't seem to have had the pleasure of these new J Special fares yet. Also, even if they do appear, I think the price will be lower than the current J savers. I've noticed a gradual reduction in fares over the last few months - it's common now to see MAN-DXB for around £2000 rather than the £2700 is was a while back. This could be because there are more Saver seats available, or that passenger numbers are lower.

Regarding seats, there's no indication that you'll have to pay. Although they may limit the selection to the middle seat on a B777
Old Jun 14, 2019, 3:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I assume you are UK based? If so, then we don't seem to have had the pleasure of these new J Special fares yet. Also, even if they do appear, I think the price will be lower than the current J savers. I've noticed a gradual reduction in fares over the last few months - it's common now to see MAN-DXB for around £2000 rather than the £2700 is was a while back. This could be because there are more Saver seats available, or that passenger numbers are lower.

Regarding seats, there's no indication that you'll have to pay. Although they may limit the selection to the middle seat on a B777
fares at xmas are outrageous!

specials are offered on some Dxb flights to MAN around then
Old Jun 14, 2019, 3:01 am

Programs: EK skywards Gold, BA, VS silver
The CD with a" regular" J saver or flex ticket is worth £300 to me and that is just using it to get from my home to LGW and return. I always take this into account when pricing my tickets and IMO this makes flying with EK even more of a better deal compared with the other airlines that fly my regular twice-yearly route LGW/BNE or LGW/SYD). I certainly won't be looking to buy a de-bundled ticket. I suppose the only time I might consider it is if I was going LGW/DXB for a few days in which case i would drive to LGW and pay for car parking.

Last edited by JudeS; Jun 14, 2019 at 3:04 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 14, 2019, 3:31 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by m3red
specials are offered on some Dxb flights to MAN around then
Yep - it only seems ex-DXB at the moment. Not ex-UK.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 6:08 am

I wouldn't mind if I'm honest! Many times when I travel business I won't select my seat until check-in so this has little impact on me, flying Ex-GLA, the seats I like (window/aisle) are nearly always available.

I did a dummy booking from Ex-DXB to JFK and the total saving per leg was £300. For £600 I would happily give up seat selection until check-in and I will arrange an Uber Exec for myself! Lounge access can be bought for £100 or I can use a priority pass. I would say if the savings are going to be £300 per leg then I will welcome this with open arms.

I do fly BA and before I made Silver on BAEC I was subject to paying for seat selection in J unless I waited until check-in, maybe I've been conditioned by BA!
Old Jun 14, 2019, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by F10GLA
I wouldn't mind if I'm honest! Many times when I travel business I won't select my seat until check-in so this has little impact on me, flying Ex-GLA, the seats I like (window/aisle) are nearly always available.

I did a dummy booking from Ex-DXB to JFK and the total saving per leg was £300. For £600 I would happily give up seat selection until check-in and I will arrange an Uber Exec for myself! Lounge access can be bought for £100 or I can use a priority pass. I would say if the savings are going to be £300 per leg then I will welcome this with open arms.

I do fly BA and before I made Silver on BAEC I was subject to paying for seat selection in J unless I waited until check-in, maybe I've been conditioned by BA!
except the new fares are at the old saver price and the savers have gone up...
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
Interestingly I have just done a dummy booking next March for the same itinerary that I am doing this August DUB-SYD....MEL-DUB and the "O" fare is identical (within a few €) to what I paid this year. Does this mean that if no " W" fares are offered on a particular route (which seems to be the case on the Europe Oz routes), then the "O" fares remain unchanged...or this wishful thinking and eventually they will go up?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by blurt91
Interestingly I have just done a dummy booking next March for the same itinerary that I am doing this August DUB-SYD....MEL-DUB and the "O" fare is identical (within a few €) to what I paid this year. Does this mean that if no " W" fares are offered on a particular route (which seems to be the case on the Europe Oz routes), then the "O" fares remain unchanged...or this wishful thinking and eventually they will go up?
1. What's a W fare? There's no such thing.
2. How on earth would anyone here be able to tell you that? There's literally no way of knowing
3. The fact Savers have apparently gone up in a single market is not conclusive evidence that they will go up in all markets once H fares are filed
ElJudioErrante likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
Apologies..no idea why I wrote W instead of H.. can't even blame auto correct
Old Jun 14, 2019, 2:45 pm

Sort of done something similar already.....

2/3 years ago Emirates offered me a late upgrade on the BKK-SYD route in both directions with the only caveat that I could not use the Emirates lounges for both trips. Did I take it? Yes. Would I take it again plus not be able to select my seat? Yes I would if the flight was on the A380. I would much rather they do that than ripping out the First Class seats and putting in Economy upstairs. Hope the proposal takes off and should be an interesting product for those currently using PE on other airlines.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by walkup
2/3 years ago Emirates offered me a late upgrade on the BKK-SYD route in both directions with the only caveat that I could not use the Emirates lounges for both trips. Did I take it? Yes. Would I take it again plus not be able to select my seat? Yes I would if the flight was on the A380. I would much rather they do that than ripping out the First Class seats and putting in Economy upstairs. Hope the proposal takes off and should be an interesting product for those currently using PE on other airlines.
Yeah they do that all the time, that's the P fare bucket.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by walkup
I am not sure how it would make any difference to those buying premium economy - since there is a price increase by EK, the new fares are no different to business class before - why would it now be an interesting product for those using PE?

I also don't see what this would have to do with removal of 1st class and replacement with economy. These are business class fares

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.