Interlining out of Israel

Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:31 pm
RB
Original Poster

Programs: QF NB
Interlining out of Israel

I’m flying TLV to ATH with Aegean and then ATH to DXB to MEL with Emirates. These flights are on two seperate tickets.

Will Aegean be able to check my bags all the way through to MEL from TLV, and issue boarding passes for my Emirates flights? Or must I claim luggage in Athens and Check in for the Emirates flights there?

The Aegean and Emirates flights are on seperate tickets/bookings.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:05 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Emirates and Aegean are interline partners as per the EK website so should be possible in theory. No personal experience out of TLV though
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:46 pm

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by kq747
Emirates and Aegean are interline partners as per the EK website so should be possible in theory. No personal experience out of TLV though
Apologies for being off topic here, but I find it amazing that Emirates and Aegean can interline on separate tickets, while when I tried to get bags checked through Abu Dhabi to the US from India on two separate Etihad tickets with a 3 hour layover, they refused.as it needs to be on one ticket.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:38 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by xobile
Apologies for being off topic here, but I find it amazing that Emirates and Aegean can interline on separate tickets, while when I tried to get bags checked through Abu Dhabi to the US from India on two separate Etihad tickets with a 3 hour layover, they refused.as it needs to be on one ticket.
Any two interline partners can interline bags on separate tickets, that does not mean that they will, Whether Aegean will interline to EK is not known, just that they can in theory
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:21 am

Although it is very unusual for an airline not to through check bags between their own flights even if on separate tickets. Seems more like bad customer service than anything else if it's their own metal.

But yes, when it's two different airlines, it usually depends on the knowledge, experience and willingness of the check in agent.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:43 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Although it is very unusual for an airline not to through check bags between their own flights even if on separate tickets. Seems more like bad customer service than anything else if it's their own metal.
BA won't interline to BA on separate tickets either.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There are plenty of airlines that will not do it - not at all unusual - with 2 separate bookings , even if the airline technically can check the bags through, the expectation to work on is that it will not check them through and plan accordingly.

Also , of course, if flight delayed , will be on own to deal with rebooking, paying change fees/fare differences etc
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There are plenty of airlines that will not do it - not at all unusual - with 2 separate bookings , even if the airline technically can check the bags through, the expectation to work on is that it will not check them through and plan accordingly.

Also , of course, if flight delayed , will be on own to deal with rebooking, paying change fees/fare differences etc
Seriously? I've never encountered this. Which other airlines don't do this besides BA and EY? I'm genuinely baffled
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:51 pm

Seriously? I've never encountered this. Which other airlines don't do this besides BA and EY? I'm genuinely baffled
Not sure why you are baffled - when having a booking from A-B and another ftrom B-C , there is no reason at all for the airline providing A-B to check bags through to the B-C flight

Qnatas and American to name another 2
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Many. A check-in agent might if you get lucky and ask nicely, but virtually no airline has a stated policy of interlining on separate tickets.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:54 pm

I understand that they don't have a policy of guaranteeing that they will interline but my reading of the previous comment is that some airlines have a policy to actively refuse interlining bags on separate tickets even when they operate both flights. That is what surprises me. I am familiar with airlines having policies not to interline bags between different airlines even when they are partners, if on separate tickets.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:28 pm

I understand that they don't have a policy of guaranteeing that they will interline but my reading of the previous comment is that some airlines have a policy to actively refuse interlining bags on separate tickets even when they operate both flights. That is what surprises me. I am familiar with airlines having policies not to interline bags between different airlines even when they are partners, if on separate tickets.
Interlining only occurs where bags are checked from 1 aiurline to another. There cannot be interlining within an airline ( that would be an online transfer)

Unless an airline has a policy stating that it will check bags through, then the expectation to work with is that it will not check bags through and also unless it has a policy to protect missed onward flights on separate tickets, to expect and plan that if a flight delay occurs and the onward flight ismissed, that passenger will be the one responsible to sort out rebooking and payments for new fares/changes
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:22 am

Programs: EK Gold, FB Silver
I take that flight often: EK to/from LCA and LCA-TLV with Aegan. In the few cases I did take luggage in the hold, I picked it up and checked in again. The connection time is quiet long and there's not much else to in LCA airport anyway. More importantly, I live in the UAE and I prefer authorities (i.e. Emirates) not to know I'm travelling to TLV. That being said, I suppose you can interline...
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Interlining only occurs where bags are checked from 1 aiurline to another. There cannot be interlining within an airline ( that would be an online transfer)

Unless an airline has a policy stating that it will check bags through, then the expectation to work with is that it will not check bags through and also unless it has a policy to protect missed onward flights on separate tickets, to expect and plan that if a flight delay occurs and the onward flight ismissed, that passenger will be the one responsible to sort out rebooking and payments for new fares/changes
I have no expectation that they would take responsibility for missed connection on separate tickets but it just seems silly that they would refuse to online transfer bags between their own flights. If the pax misses their onward flight they could just offload the bag as with a pax on a single ticket.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 6:55 am

I have no expectation that they would take responsibility for missed connection on separate tickets but it just seems silly that they would refuse to online transfer bags between their own flights. If the pax misses their onward flight they could just offload the bag as with a pax on a single ticket.
Why - it is part of the process of incentivising people to buy a single ticket.

Why would you allow the customer to benefit from a cheaper product (separate tickets) whilst benefiting from the convenience of a more expensive product (single ticket).
nancypants likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.