Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Reserving seats 48 hours before flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2018, 12:54 am
Original Poster

Hoping to fly man to bkk on Emirates late January and booking the saver tickets which you need to pay to reserve seats

Can anyone tell me what is the selection like going online 48 hours before the flight.

We will be flying on the A380 on all legs and I prefer a window seat either in the forward section next to the stairs or at the rear, but not over the wing

Any help would be great
Old Nov 24, 2018, 2:57 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
It'll fill up just before OLCI opens as all pax will be assigned seats. Bit of a risk to wait but with continuous monitoring after T-48 you should find something, people tend to move around quite a bit
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:57 am
Original Poster

When you say people tend to move around quite a bit, You mean that when you check on line, are seats allocated and then you get the choice of what is left and people move around and other seats come available and you can move seats again?
Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:02 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by malct
When you say people tend to move around quite a bit, You mean that when you check on line, are seats allocated and then you get the choice of what is left and people move around and other seats come available and you can move seats again?
Shortly before OLCI opens the cabin fills up, a lot. EK appears to do some sort of "shadow" check-in in the background. I think most pax (not necessarily all) are given seat assignments at this stage. What I mean is that during the OLCI period and up until 1-2 hours before departure people move around, because they change their seat assignments or because the check-in desk does, or they cancel, so if you set an alert on ExpertFlyer + check the seat map yourself regularly (via the app or the website, if you've checked in you may need to go through the OLCI process to get to the seat change page) you stand a good chance of snagging a suitable seat at some point. I often do this on almost full flights to snag a seat with an empty middle, which works quite well. Persistence is key.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 5:13 am
Original Poster

I just like to say a big thank you for your help Skywardhunter
I dont have the Expertflyer + but come the time, I will be able to keep checking and with travelling on to BKK in Dubai, I guess that i can reserve seats earlier at the same time reserving the Man to BKK

The issue that i which i have mentioned on another thread is the cost, baggage and transit time

Booking Manchester to Bangkok return
1. return within a month baggage 20kg for the cheapest flights
2 for a extra 10kg you need to book the next fare price up which will be approx £30 to £50

3. In order to get the cheap flights, the return flight has a 6 hour stopover in Dubai if returning within a month

4. if going for 6 weeks, the cheapest tickets include 30kg of baggage and not 20kg.

5. 6 weeks is only a couple of hours stopover for transit

So it's working out better to go for 6 weeks rather than 4 weeks if you need 30kg of baggage and we do need the extra baggage allowance and no long stopover

Ideally we only want to go for a month or its going to mean applying for a 60 day visa
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:00 am
Original Poster

With any luck the mid day flight on a Tuesday might not be ful since they say tuesdays and wednesdays ars tge quitest days for flying.l

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.