Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Changing between EK and QF frequent flyer numbers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat, NZ Silver, EY, EK, SQ & UA

Hi there,

I am looking at buying a last minute ticket to NZ on EK through the EK website. I am QF gold and EK blue but want to collect the EK points, but need the QF gold's luggage allowance and lounge access.

Is it possible to check in with QF gold number attached to booking, use lounge in LHR and then change the frequent flyer number to my EK one as I leave the lounge? I suppose the only issue would be not being able to use the lounge in DXB during my connection before AKL flight.

Another thought I had is see if EK will match my status to EK silver and then I'll get lounge access in DXB.

Thanks
Old Nov 24, 2018, 5:04 am

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
Originally Posted by tm84
Hi there,

I am looking at buying a last minute ticket to NZ on EK through the EK website. I am QF gold and EK blue but want to collect the EK points, but need the QF gold's luggage allowance and lounge access.

Is it possible to check in with QF gold number attached to booking, use lounge in LHR and then change the frequent flyer number to my EK one as I leave the lounge? I suppose the only issue would be not being able to use the lounge in DXB during my connection before AKL flight.

Another thought I had is see if EK will match my status to EK silver and then I'll get lounge access in DXB.

Thanks
1) No, you can't change FF programmes and numbers as you please during your journey.

2) Yes, you could try a status 'match'. But it wouldn't get you into the lounge at LHR.

Elephant in the room - why do you want to credit miles to your EK account rather than doing this through QF?
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by XXTSGR

1) No, you can't change FF programmes and numbers as you please during your journey.

2) Yes, you could try a status 'match'. But it wouldn't get you into the lounge at LHR.

Elephant in the room - why do you want to credit miles to your EK account rather than doing this through QF?
Wasn't saying change mid journey, was saying can I change at the lounge before take off?

Since I'm living back in Europe and quite a lot of my international travel is Star Alliance or EK I've decided to go for gold on EK.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
Wasn't saying change mid journey, was saying can I change at the lounge before take off?

Since I'm living back in Europe and quite a lot of my international travel is Star Alliance or EK I've decided to go for gold on EK.
1) No.

2) Try the EK status 'match'.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 11:24 am

Not to mention the dismal conversion rate. You'll get ~9-12000 miles each way crediting to EK but likely <3000 and no status if crediting to QF.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 1:34 pm

On most other airlines this will be okay (although whether the flight posts properly is a completely separate question). However, I heard that EK is very strict on this and will not allow you to change it after check-in. I think it was mentioned in a recent thread somewhere.

Reason being, EK needs to charge QF for the lounge access, but if you change the FFP to EK after using the lounge, they will not be able to charge.

I had the same situation ex-DXB, albeit on QF metal (back when they operated DXB-LHR), and EK said I had to choose between lounge access and points to the other program. I chose the latter.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 2:03 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Cake. Have. Eat. No.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to most for their advice, I appreciate it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.