JFK arrival

Old Aug 21, 18, 7:07 am
Original Poster

JFK arrival

how easy is immigration here? I’ll be flying F and arriving at abou 2/3pm...now after a 13 hour flight with Dom etc I fully expect to be ‘tired’. Is there a long wait to get through? Went last year via Abu Dhabi so did clearance before hand which was excellent but slightly concerned this time. I presume there is fast track?
Old Aug 21, 18, 7:47 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by freakstar View Post
how easy is immigration here? I’ll be flying F and arriving at abou 2/3pm...now after a 13 hour flight with Dom etc I fully expect to be ‘tired’. Is there a long wait to get through? Went last year via Abu Dhabi so did clearance before hand which was excellent but slightly concerned this time. I presume there is fast track?
No way of knowing. There are lots of different airlines arriving, so it all depends if you get lucky (30 minutes) or not (2 hours).
Old Aug 21, 18, 8:02 am

Programs: EK Gold, HHonors Diamond
how easy is immigration here? I’ll be flying F and arriving at abou 2/3pm...now after a 13 hour flight with Dom etc I fully expect to be ‘tired’. Is there a long wait to get through?
EK201's arrival time does not lend itself for a quick walk through immigration. Even if it arrives on time, other flights may be delayed which can cause the arrivals hall to get full quickly. Besides its quite a walk to immigration so you may find several folks from Y make it before J & F. There are self service kiosks so the process is definitely faster than before. I mainly use EK203 nowadays which is typically the only flight arriving at that hour and have made it out of the a/c door, collected my bags, and through customs in 20 minutes flat.

I presume there is fast track?
There is QuickConnect but that is only if you have an onward connection.
Old Aug 21, 18, 8:07 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Not sure exactly but a friend arrived in JFK around this time in Y (on EK) a few weeks ago on an Indian passport and go through relatively quick, but it may have been an hour or two earlier, not sure what the other EK arrival times at JFK are
Old Aug 21, 18, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackiedada View Post

There is QuickConnect but that is only if you have an onward connection.
No fast track isle you get in most airports these days?
Old Aug 21, 18, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies...i guess i'll just need to have short drinks prior to arrival!
Old Aug 21, 18, 1:22 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Do you have an ESTA? If so, then you should be able to use the APC booths. However... it all depends on how JFK has implemented APC. At ORD, we went through to the APC booth, did our fingerprints etc., and were then dumped at the back of the queue for non ESTA arrivals We'd arrived just after the EK and QR flights had landed. Completely bizarre.

At MCO and BOS, there is a separate line for people that have completed APC.

Of course, you then have customs to contend with no matter whether or not you have an ESTA.
Old Aug 22, 18, 12:08 am

No fast track isle you get in most airports these days?
Well quickconnect is like fast track - there is a separate queue for quickconnect holders. If your question is "Are there any dedicated counters for F/J pax?" - well, as a matter of fact at JFK (and other US airports), your F/J experience ends the moment you step off the aircraft. You can take solace in the fact that they do have a separate luggage carousel for bags with priority tags.
Old Aug 22, 18, 12:24 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
I was on the EK (morning arrival into JFK) last month ........... No queue at all. Was out of there in a flash ......... Those booths were operational (where you do your finger printing etc etc.,) but it didn't work too well - I had to get the usher's(what do you call the random dude who's walking around?) help me with it.

Fast Track - hahaha ..........Unfortunately, the US airports are backward and sub par.
Old Aug 23, 18, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by safari_7 View Post
I was on the EK (morning arrival into JFK) last month ........... No queue at all. Was out of there in a flash ......... Those booths were operational (where you do your finger printing etc etc.,) but it didn't work too well - I had to get the usher's(what do you call the random dude who's walking around?) help me with it.

Fast Track - hahaha ..........Unfortunately, the US airports are backward and sub par.
This was exactly my experience last month (2pm arrival though). Long walk but i was in the arrivals hall (baggage reclaim) around 10 minutes after disembarking.

If you have an ESTA on which you have previously entered, the self service kiosks are quick (one minute) and then you head to a booth to have it reviewed (30 seconds) and then out. Couldn't have been quicker.

There were a few people in the 'first time' queue though. But most were using the kiosks.

The chauffeur car is waiting just as you exit the baggage reclaim.
Old Sep 12, 18, 6:15 am

My experience on EK203 yesterday (flying Y and seated in the first mini-cabin)
9:31 am: Out of the a/c
9:36 am: One of the first few to reach the Automated Passport Control Kiosks. Completed the self registration procedure and #3 in Q for immigration, only 2 officers at that time.
9:39 am: Completed Immigration. Reached the baggage claim area and noticed bags were still not on the belt.
9:43 am: Baggage started coming on the belt. Noticed that lone I/O bag was the first to come out. No particular order in which J&F bags were coming.
9:46 am: Collected my bag.
9:47 am: Stepped out of the arrivals area.
DYKWIA likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: