Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates - an airline of FIRSTs!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: THY elite, AA
Thumbs down Emirates - an airline of FIRSTs!

Warning: Racial profiling may be implied if not actually intended.

Three weeks ago I flew Emirates for the first time IST-DXB-MEL. My husband had just had a great experience flying on Emirates to Oz so I was looking forward to it.

Imagine my surprise when I get to my seat to find the row occupied by a veiled woman in the middle and a child on each side. I politely ask her to pick up her child - under 2, it was clearly a lap child. She refused. I asked again and she again refused. I called the flight attendant. She asked politely and the woman refused again, to which the flight attendant shrugged and said she would find me another seat.

Since I insist on an aisle seat - chosen and paid for in advance - the only one she could find was next to a very large man spilling from the middle into the aisle seat. But as I tried to sit, he barked at me to get up and that he would NOT sit next to a WOMAN! I was stunned - I fly numerous times a month and have never run into this! Unbelievably, the flight attendant shrugs AGAIN and we go off again trying to find a seat.

After probably nearly 30 minutes of many attempts, I end up at the bulkhead surrounded by nannies struggling to hold onto wild toddlers whom they were clearly not allowed to discipline. I was hit in the face by arms and legs numerous times. When the meal came, I explained that I could not possibly eat in such a situation. The flight attendance was very kind, asked about my choice, and said she would hold it for me in the kitchen.

The food fight then began, these children throwing food from the trays at each other, at other passengers and into the aisle. Then, to my shock, these nannies threw - literally - the food trays onto the floor, spilling food everywhere. And to top it off....as Dave Barry says I SWEAR I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP - one of the nannies pulls down the pants of a 2 year old boy and has him URINATE INTO THE FOOD TRAY ON THE FLOOR.

I disappeared immediately to the kitchen where I stood to eat my meal but at least in a clean environment. All the flight attendants soothed me that things would be better AFTER Dubai. And they were.

Such was my first - and last - time flying Emirates.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Sep 12, 2018 at 12:01 am Reason: Fix formatting
Old Sep 11, 2018, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Sorry to hear of your experience. I look forward to the replies on here.

what is <br /><br?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP Marriott Ambassador
I thought it was against the rules here to have a TR without pics sorry for you experience but not exactly a TR.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
This TR is highly over the top and definitely a first. Pics or it didn’t happen. 😀
poopbunny likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: QF
OP, as this could occur on any airline is it really an EK specific fault, or more bad luck?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:23 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Most people on FT fly either First or Business class when flying on Emirates.

Economy class on Emirates is an entirely different world!
Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:02 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
As this is clearly not a Trip Report, we'll move it over to the Emirates forum for further enlightenment.

/mod
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:09 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by daniellam
Most people on FT fly either First or Business class when flying on Emirates.

Economy class on Emirates is an entirely different world!
this is why we pay for j or f, I couldn’t face incidents like the Op described.

I totally believe this story!
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:15 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Why is the woman's veiled mentioned? Would you mention the clothing of a White woman?
kennycbr likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:40 am

Not surprising. The FA aren't in power to deal with what may turn out to be Emirati's for fear of repercussion. So the only option they offered was to move you. In reality, they should have asked the woman to move and if refused get CSD involved. But rather they moved the OP because it was easier dealing with her. As for the man refusing to sit next to a woman, again he should have been dealt with but again it seems it was OP who had to suffer.

Complaining to Emirates isn't going to get anywhere either.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Why is the woman's veiled mentioned? Would you mention the clothing of a White woman?
It is still factual though
Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:28 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JamesKidd
That's what casual racists say....
Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed
That's what casual racists say....
Oh ok
mpkz likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:40 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by JamesKidd
Although the woman in question was clearly 'out of line', her clothing, race or religion (which of course id the implication of the OP) is of no consequence here. Even if it is factual.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by thijsseh
Although the woman in question was clearly 'out of line', her clothing, race or religion (which of course id the implication of the OP) is of no consequence here. Even if it is factual.
As you correctly point out, it is of no consequence. But that still doesn't mean the OP cannot describe the passenger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.