Wiki Posts
Search

Op Up for Redemption ticket

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK-Gold, BA-Silver, SQ-Gold, Vistara-Gold
Op Up for Redemption ticket

Sorry if this has been answered already, I searched but could not find a relevant post.
I have bought a flex plus Y ticket using my skyward miles. From a op up perspective, does it count the same as if I had paid for it? Or the system give preference to paid customers.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by asinghal
Sorry if this has been answered already, I searched but could not find a relevant post.
I have bought a flex plus Y ticket using my skyward miles. From a op up perspective, does it count the same as if I had paid for it? Or the system give preference to paid customers.
treated the same as a revenue ticket
Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:21 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
You wouldn't be entitled to an upgrade on an award ticket
Old Aug 17, 2018, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zol
You wouldn't be entitled to an upgrade on an award ticket
As an op up? Or upgrade using miles
For this trip I bought Y Flex Plus using skywards redemption and then upgraded using miles to J (cheaper than buying J using miles). All done online. I called for some changes and the agent helped me with some potential changes as well.
It does say I cannot pay for an upgrade using money.
thijsseh likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:35 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
For this trip I bought Y Flex Plus using skywards redemption and then upgraded using miles to J (cheaper than buying J using miles). All done online. I called for some changes and the agent helped me with some potential changes as well.
That seems unusual. I quickly checked my 'usual' itinerary and on that one buying J with miles costs (about 10%) fewer miles than redemption plus miles upgrade. Was your redemption a special offer?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:05 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
As an opup definitely not. Using miles not by the rule book but YMMV at the airport or onboard.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thijsseh
That seems unusual. I quickly checked my 'usual' itinerary and on that one buying J with miles costs (about 10%) fewer miles than redemption plus miles upgrade. Was your redemption a special offer?
I booked a long time back so I cant recall the exact calculations- but what you say maybe right- it might have been the money I had to pay which was much higher if I book J vs book Y and upgrade.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: MM, EK, HH, etc.
As Plat had a Y plus ticket last year that I had upgraded to J with miles. At the gate I was op-upped from J to F. I do realize this was not a straightforward award ticket type, but would nevertheless suggest to me that op-upping an award ticket is not out of the question either.
m3red likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wtravel
As Plat had a Y plus ticket last year that I had upgraded to J with miles. At the gate I was op-upped from J to F. I do realize this was not a straightforward award ticket type, but would nevertheless suggest to me that op-upping an award ticket is not out of the question either.
Hope persists. Flying this weekend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.