Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates availability + Amex points transfer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2018, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

I'm organising my honeymoon for next month (getting married on the 23rd), and have booked redemption flights through Singapore Airlines J class for Bali to Maldives, and Colombo back to Bali. There don't appear to be any decent business/first class options to redeem between MLE and CMB aside from Emirates, which I've never used.

My Amex MR Ascent points can (AFAIK) be transferred to Emirates, albeit at a not-great rate. I registered with Emirates to see points/fuel tax costs, and it seems to indicate F class availability for two people on my preferred date

As I haven't transferred any points into my new Emirates account, I'm not clear on whether these are actually available, or they're subject to a waitlisting as you would with a Krisflyer redemption (which indicates before booking whether it's waitlisted).

I'm hoping you guys can confirm whether:

1) Amex MR points can transfer for Emirates Skywards
2) Whether redemption availability is there (based on that screenshot) ie. is it safe for me transfer for points and book.

Thanks
Old May 26, 2018, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Sorry here is the screenshot
Old May 27, 2018, 12:51 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Welcome to the EK Forum. Am sure you won't be disappointed by EK F.

MR points are transferrable in many countries but not all, the list is on the Emirates website if you Google for "skywards partners" you'll find it.

Looks like flights are available but you didn't post the actual flight selection where it shows the flight number and timing.
Old May 27, 2018, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Thanks skywardhunter, I had a look, and it looks like Amex AU can transfer to Emirates, so that concern is gone.

I've taken a better screenshot with the flight details...even if I don't currently have enough points, would there be any indication the flight is not available for redemption, or 'waitlisted'?

Old May 27, 2018, 7:20 am

Looks like it's available, you could call and confirm. I think I read about some Amex transfers being instant in which case you could do it while on the phone once you confirm availability. Others will have more knowledge
Old May 27, 2018, 10:07 am

Make sure you do the availability enquiry for two people. It wouldn't be the best start to a honeymoon otherwise.
Old May 27, 2018, 10:09 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Looks like it's available, you could call and confirm. I think I read about some Amex transfers being instant in which case you could do it while on the phone once you confirm availability. Others will have more knowledge
Indeed, it says on the UK site that it can take up to 48 hours. However, I tested it out and it was instant. The US site actually says transfers are instant.
Old May 27, 2018, 1:35 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by ft101
Make sure you do the availability enquiry for two people. It wouldn't be the best start to a honeymoon otherwise.
Interesting first dilemma after the wedding: “who gets the F seat?”. Might set the tone for many years to come.
Old May 27, 2018, 3:32 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
You need to register your EK account with Amex. This is pretty much instant during regular office hours. I think there must be some sort of manual check because doing it on a weekend or late at night means your status will go to 'pending'.

Once you've linked your EK account, the transfers are pretty much instant. There is a disclaimer that it can take up to 1 business day though.

PS: I see you're transferring gateway miles. Are you using an Amex Explorer credit card? The redemption rate on that plan is 4 gateway points = 3 skyward miles.
Old May 27, 2018, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I'll make sure to register my EK account with Amex. I do have an Amex Explorer card, but it's link to my Ascent Premium account (not Gateway Points). I understand that it's 4 MR points to 3 Skyward points, but there seems to be a potential clause if I transfer 1:1 to Qantas, I can then transfer to Emirates? Not too sure of the language, as some previous research I did indicated I couldn't transfer from Qantas to Emirates.

Old May 27, 2018, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Sastan
Thanks, I'll make sure to register my EK account with Amex. I do have an Amex Explorer card, but it's link to my Ascent Premium account (not Gateway Points). I understand that it's 4 MR points to 3 Skyward points, but there seems to be a potential clause if I transfer 1:1 to Qantas, I can then transfer to Emirates? Not too sure of the language, as some previous research I did indicated I couldn't transfer from Qantas to Emirates.

Airline miles can generally never be transferred to other airlines. The wording seems to indicate that if you have a Platinum card you get a 1:1 ratio to EK + you can transfer to QF, two separate benefits
Old May 28, 2018, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

I just wanted to thank you for helping with this...just booked F class on the Emirates 777-30ER, witha 1-1 transfer rate from Amex MR! Can't wait for my and my partner to fly this, even if only a short flight
Old May 28, 2018, 7:04 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Wait, how did you get 1:1? Did you transfer to QF then book?

It is a really valuable little tool but note it only applies to platinum charge cards and not credit products.
Old May 28, 2018, 11:48 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
I have found AMEX transfers for NZ cardholders to EK is instant.

I needed a top up at Christmas last year and as I talked to EK I transferred the extra points i needed to upgrade from Business to First.
Old May 30, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: EK Gold, *A Gold,CX Gold, 9W Plat,SPG Gold,EY Gold,Hilton Gold
They are definate real time transfer in US. I have done many times just relogin and you are done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.