Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Complex itinerary - checked baggage question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2018, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, EK Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Avis First, Hertz Pres Club

I am on a somewhat complex EK itinerary later this month as below -

May 27th - EK225 - SFO to DXB
May 29th - EK006 - DXB to LHR
May 30th - EK007 - LHR to DXB
Mar 30th - EK524 - DXB to HYD
Jun 12th - EK569 - BLR to DXB
Jun 16th - EK226 - DXB to SFO

I have 2-day trips to London and Dubai on this trip. I booked this routing because I am an EK loyalist and the need to visit Dubai.

My question is this - on my outbound trip from SFO, can I check my baggage all the way through to HYD? I prefer to go to LHR with just my check-in baggage and not have to carry the bigger piece of luggage which I will need for my ~10 day stay in India.
Old May 17, 2018, 1:58 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
I am almost certain that the short answer will be no. Is this itinerary all one ticket or are separate tickets involved? If one ticket, then my understanding is that luggage must follow the passenger as ticketed, however, I don’t think there is the ability for ‘back-tracking’, same airport on the luggage tag twice, in this case DXB.

The other barrier being that that there is in excess of 24 hours between flights and airlines do not tend to be responsible for luggage if not on a direct connection in excess of a 24 hour period.

Am sure some of the DXB regulars will be able to confirm if you have the option of leaving your luggage at a left luggage facility in DXB if there is one but that will mean claiming luggage on arrival from SFO and re-checking when you return from LHR.

If separate tickets, then wouldn’t help either as the time between first arrival in DXB and returning from LHR again exceeds the 24 hour period.

S
Old May 17, 2018, 2:03 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
No because of the long layover in DXB. It's more than 24hrs between arriving from SFO and departing for HYD.

It's definitely separate tickets as no fare exists between SFO and LHR AFAIK
Old May 17, 2018, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, EK Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Avis First, Hertz Pres Club
It is on one ticket. Is there a left luggage facility at DXB?
Old May 17, 2018, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by catchgops
It is on one ticket. Is there a left luggage facility at DXB?
I believe there is a left luggage facility

check this out - https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/...ces-dubai.aspx
Old May 17, 2018, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks, is this on the airside or landside? Wouldn't want to pass through immigration just for left luggage.
Old May 17, 2018, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
No because of the long layover in DXB. It's more than 24hrs between arriving from SFO and departing for HYD.

It's definitely separate tickets as no fare exists between SFO and LHR AFAIK
It is possible on some EK fares to combine several fare components to price such itineraries.

If you run this routing through ITA matrix you'll find pricing for all cabins including economy:

Fare 1: Carrier EK QHXSPUS1 SFO to HYD Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code Q Covers SFO-DXB (Economy), DXB-HYD (Economy) $491.50
Fare 2: Carrier EK W1LXSAE1 DXB to LON Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code W Covers DXB-LHR (Economy) $389.35
Fare 3: Carrier EK W2LXSAE1 LON to DXB Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code W Covers LHR-DXB (Economy) $416.58
Fare 4: Carrier EK QHWSPUS1 BLR to SFO Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code Q Covers BLR-DXB (Economy), DXB-SFO (Economy) $646.50

United Arab Emirates International Advanced Passenger Information Fee Arrivals (ZR) $7.00

EK YQ surcharge (YQ) $918.00

US International Departure Tax (US) $36.60

US September 11th Security Fee (AY)$5.60US Passenger Facility Charge (XF) $4.50

United Arab Emirates Passenger Facilities Charge (F6) $28.50

United Kingdom Passenger Service Charge Departures (UB) $45.80

India User Development Fee Departures (IN) $21.30

India Passenger Service Fee (WO) $3.80

United Arab Emirates Passenger Security And Safety Fee (TP) $1.40

United Arab Emirates Passenger Service Charge International (AE) $20.40

United States Immigration User Fee (XY) $7.00

United States Customs User Fee (YC) $5.65

United States APHIS Passenger Fee Passengers (XA) $3.96

Subtotal per passenger $3,053.51
Old May 17, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by edy4eva
It is possible on some EK fares to combine several fare components to price such itineraries.

If you run this routing through ITA matrix you'll find pricing for all cabins including economy:
Yeah I guess as a side trip it can be added, still no through-check though
Old May 17, 2018, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by catchgops
Thanks, is this on the airside or landside? Wouldn't want to pass through immigration just for left luggage.
I thought you wanted a day trip out in Dubai ? That would definitely require immigration. Anyways, the left luggage is landside so would require immigration and customs. It only saves you lugging your bag around in Dubai :-)
Old May 17, 2018, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JamesKidd
I thought you wanted a day trip out in Dubai ? That would definitely require immigration. Anyways, the left luggage is landside so would require immigration and customs. It only saves you lugging your bag around in Dubai :-)
Yes, I do go into Dubai on my way back, not on my way out which is when I want to not have to carry the bigger bag to London.
Old May 17, 2018, 3:46 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Is there anything stopping you from using the left luggage facility at DXB? It is 50AED per 12h and I can't see anything saying you couldn't leave it for a few days.
Old May 17, 2018, 4:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no such thing as a "layover". There are connections and stopovers. OP has a stopover at DXB because it exceeds 24 hours. Can't through check bags across a stopover. Nothing else, including fare construction matters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.