Family Program

Old Feb 12, 2018, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: MM, EK, HH, etc.
Family Program

Just got an email from EK stating that the family program will be revamped in May. Anyone know the main changes? To date the program was useless, given the absurd conversion factor of 20% (so I never used it), so hopefully they will join the likes of EY offering a 100% conversion factor (though knowing EK I doubt it). Thanks.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 3:54 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Wtravel
Just got an email from EK stating that the family program will be revamped in May. Anyone know the main changes? To date the program was useless, given the absurd conversion factor of 20% (so I never used it), so hopefully they will join the likes of EY offering a 100% conversion factor (though knowing EK I doubt it). Thanks.
Yes was already mentioned before on here that we can expect changed in May, as the e-mail says changes will be announced still, so no one knows yet unless someone here has an inside track with EK on that
Old Feb 12, 2018, 5:13 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Wish they introduced a policy of free miles transfer to members with the same residential address as you. Obviously with a capping. If they do what BA has in regards to a household account, I will be one happy man.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 6:51 am

It was me that mentioned it a few days ago. All I know is

Exciting changes are on their way in May, making it easier to earn more Miles as a family. More details coming soon.
which has been added to the top of the sign up/Ts & Cs page.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite*G; Skywards Gold; Hertz President's Circle
NEW FAMILY PROGRAMME Share Miles. Share rewards

I just received an email from Skywards about some 'exciting changes to our Family Bonus programme' apparently coming in May. I'm guessing that I might finally be able to pool miles much more efficiently (and cost effectively) in the same way as ShairPoints with Air NZ. Anyone got more information about what's potentially in the pipeline?
Old Feb 13, 2018, 3:03 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Goodness... with such a buildup... it better be good. Not holding my breath.
Old May 22, 2018, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Anyone hear further on this? Maybe they need to revisit (probably not „game-changing“ enough) their proposed changes in the face of LH‘s recent mileage pooling introduction Having said that, knowing EK not expecting much anyway ​​​​​​​
Old May 22, 2018, 2:37 pm

It looks like it's on the website now. Pooling miles (or even just some of your miles) seems to be the selling point.
Old May 23, 2018, 12:34 am

Programs: EK Plat
Originally Posted by ft101
It looks like it's on the website now. Pooling miles (or even just some of your miles) seems to be the selling point.
is this what they refer to as “My Family”? Just had a quick look and it seems it only applies going forward so any miles already accrued cannot be put in the Family account.
Old May 25, 2018, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ft101
Thanks, just saw it. Surprised they didn‘t send out a mail or publish a news item confirming that, given that they did that when they first announced months ago that something would be coming in May. Typical EK though, and extremely disappointing, that miles already in the accounts are not pooled Even LH allows that under their new mileage pooling...
Old May 26, 2018, 1:20 am

Programs: EK Platinum - SPG Platinum
June 1st

If no news about the Family Program by 31st May, my intention is to send an email and ask.
Old May 26, 2018, 1:44 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
So the program appears to be up and running in a "soft launch" mode with no official announcement.

If you are just getting going with Skywards or are adding new family members with no Skywards history, it could be interesting (although online upgrades still not available from an IT perspetive).

However, since the account starts at zero and miles can't be freely transferred, this is not useful if you have existing accounts with material amounts of miles in them. You'd need to drain the accounts first (which is hard without losing some miles) to make it useful, otherwise it's like just having another account to manage on top of the existing ones. Even my two kids have ~30-50k miles each in their accounts that are not worth losing. So if add them to the Family Plan, i'd have the Family Plan with a low balance and their existing accounts with limited use for their miles as redemptions must come from only one account. Maybe add family members who fly EK infrequently, assuming they dont mind but still probably have to lose (or use at low value) any existing miles.

Bottom line: I won't be accruing any miles into it for now.
Old May 26, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
Originally Posted by extramileage
So the program appears to be up and running in a "soft launch" mode with no official announcement.

If you are just getting going with Skywards or are adding new family members with no Skywards history, it could be interesting (although online upgrades still not available from an IT perspetive).

However, since the account starts at zero and miles can't be freely transferred, this is not useful if you have existing accounts with material amounts of miles in them. You'd need to drain the accounts first (which is hard without losing some miles) to make it useful, otherwise it's like just having another account to manage on top of the existing ones. Even my two kids have ~30-50k miles each in their accounts that are not worth losing. So if add them to the Family Plan, i'd have the Family Plan with a low balance and their existing accounts with limited use for their miles as redemptions must come from only one account. Maybe add family members who fly EK infrequently, assuming they dont mind but still probably have to lose (or use at low value) any existing miles.

Bottom line: I won't be accruing any miles into it for now.
Same here. I might just do my sums and play around with percentages of Skysurfer miles to be deposited into a new family account but otherwise switching everyone 100% simply won't make sense in my case.

Shame one can't move existing miles!
Old May 31, 2018, 3:00 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by XXTSGR
Shame one can't move existing miles!
Indeed. One could end up with more orphan miles rather than fewer!

But I am quite impressed that the list of potential members includes "partner". Very daring for a ME airline! ^
Old May 31, 2018, 5:07 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Indeed. One could end up with more orphan miles rather than fewer!

But I am quite impressed that the list of potential members includes "partner". Very daring for a ME airline! ^
I think that the old Family program also had Partner
Cheetah_SA likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.